Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Jackal Ghost, Mythic Jackal
Medium Oil Ball: Rogue Blade, Ripcord Flight
Light Oil Ball: Purple Tank
Preferred Company: Motiv

Coach Slowinski Camp Review

Post by Bdgf99 »

Coach Merrell asked me some time ago to post a review regarding my trip to Coach Slowinski's Camp in late December 2013 but my back injury and catching up with work caused this to fall by the wayside until now.

I attended Coach Joe Slowinski's (Gold Level Coach) two day camp in Manchester NH December 28-29, 2013. The cost of the clinic was $125 for two days and $85 I believe for one day (I prepaid early for a discount) and this I believe was a fair rate. He offered individual instruction time to attendees for additional money but I declined to do this.

The camp started with introductory information and then proceeded to warmup and each of us were called over to film our "Before" video. He offered some initial feedback and afterward we started talking about the DYDS system and its many benefits to the bowler.

The remainder of camp was a mix of classroom type lecture and time on the lanes working extensively with a series of warmups, drills, and basic lane play skills on three different sport shots (a 35ft, 39ft and 43ft if I remember correctly).

The class size was about 12-14 people, some came for one day but most came for both. The final hour or two we rotated back over for our "AFTER" video shots and were given some feedback on our progress. I saw some bowlers make amazing progress in minutes and others struggle a little more with it but even so they were progressing nicely as well.

One student was a young man by the name of Jalen, he was the NJCAA rookie and player of the year from Rhode Island and bowling collegiately, averaging 247 at home. He implemented this system and within an hour he was throwing the ball better, hitting the pocket with more power, all while being more efficient and less effort being expended. He said he would be tired after a day of bowling but by the end of the clinic he still felt fine to go bowl a league that day if he had to. Being a former college bowler myself I appreciated the chance to see him participate and progress.

After working on these changes a little I myself had some great inital results too. My first game back home using DYDS was 266 and I came within a mark of winning my association singles event at our Association Tournament. My progress I'll admit has been slower than I wanted because of my injury and the workload I had to catch up on after that. I missed almost half the season this year so I did not get the time on the lanes necessary to really get the muscle memory down good on the DYDS.

However, I will keep working at it and report on my progress. I also have a few of my bowlers on my HS teams who are starting to incorporate these techniques and am excited to see progress from them as well. One went from barely making JV to leading a pro-am tournament for most of that day before falling off a little. Another has increased his score by an average of 15 pins. My assistant coach had a 257 first game and got himself out of a slump after trying a few of the drills and started to change his game to DYDS.

This experience has positively effected myself and several other people and I barely scratched the surface with it. I am excited about next season and look forward to it.