Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: Resurgence with RICO drilling
Medium Oil Ball: Rival
Light Oil Ball: Momentum
Preferred Company: Columbia

Approaching the foul line

Post by berreez »

For years I’ve always walked towards my target. I throw with more revs than most the people I bowl with so I typically stand on 33 and target 17 and around 8 or 9 at the breakpoint. So when I start my swing I end up sliding around 22 or so. I literally walked towards the 15 board.
Well I ran across a few videos called how to improve you average. Chris Barnes, Carolyn Ballard and a few others were the instructors.
They talked about the crossover step (which I’ve never done) and to angle your body to the projected path of where you what the ball to go. I noticed they basically ended up on the same board as the started out on but kept their body turned towards their target.
So last weekend I tried the crossover step. At first it felt weird but I have to admit my swing seemed freer and more relaxed. I tried sliding on the same board I started on but keeping my body turned towards my target. After a few game even that felt better.
So my question to the board. What does walking towards the target mean? Are they really saying you should face your target? Because I feel I’ve been doing it incorrectly for years.
Any thoughts?
GO ARMY
Graaille

Re: Approaching the foul line

Post by Graaille »

I've always thought of it at the foul line where your chest is fully pointed toward your target. If you have the room to walk straight at it, then do so (the walking a tightrope analogy). However with players with higher rev rates, they usually have a more pronounced crossover or drift to put them into position at the foul line.

Ultimately, if it's repeatable and allows you to face your target without being in the way of your swing, then it'll work.
Back into Blogging: http://lifeasjasonharris.blogspot.com/ 80% Bowling, 100% me. (oh hold while working on several other projects -- sorry)

The Gathering 2k16, Winston Salem, NC, July 29-31. Just ask me for more info.
2y2
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8 and 3/8 over
Speed: 17 mph
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 10º
Axis Rotation: 45º
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm CodeX
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Python
Light Oil Ball: Pitch Blue
Preferred Company: None

Re: Approaching the foul line

Post by 2y2 »

The crossover step is not something that you must practice, walking is a function of how you move the ball, the crossover step happens naturally as long as you create space for the ball, tilting your body outside the heaps and making your ball to swing below your head.

You can find some info here:
http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/sto ... g_slot.pdf
If you think I helped, please click on the "+" button, Thanks.