Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Marvel Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Inferno
Light Oil Ball: Storm Timeless
Preferred Company: 900 Global

What can change my PAP?

Post by JJakobsen »

I did ask the same question in another thread, but on a different subject entirely.

The first picture shows my roll and approx. PAP now. Since my balls are drilled for 5" right 1" over, they do not react as they should.

The second picture is peculiar. That is the result of me tucking my pinky. Don't know why that changed my PAP by that much.

The last picture is my supposed PAP, which is where I want to get back to.

Struggled with dry lanes (dry as in every other pad was stone hard in the machine, so NO oil on half the lane) for a year, and that destroyed my release. Revs dropped, speed dropped, got immense thumb roll and extremely high PAP.

Then I moved and got my roll away from my thumb (barely), but it is still very high on the ball. If I force my hand to not cock, I get a flatter roll compared to the fingers and thumb, as I want, but far from enough. Pinky gives me much better result, BUT, I am using the sarge easter grip because of an injury, so putting more strain on the ring finger makes the sarge easter useless again.

So, what can I do to get my release straighter along the thumb-fingers line?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
68.2353°N 14.5636°E is where it happens!
Tappster
Preferred Company: Track

Re: What can change my PAP?

Post by Tappster »

By tucking your pinky, I did it for years when I bowled on tour, you slightly change the degree of axis rotation and increase tilt. But not necessarily change the PAP number itself.
I think you need to be more focused on the amount of tilt than PAP numbers. Make some finger pitch changes laterally,forward, reverse and possibly a performance fit.

Ring finger span and pitches have the most effect on tilt. In general, for more up the back you would need more reverse in the fingers along with span and thumb pitch change.

My PAP has changed all of a 1/4 of an inch over the last 15 years with God knows how many grip changes.

Good luck.
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 3 1/2 right, 1 1/2 up
Speed: 15.5 downlane
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Marvel Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Inferno
Light Oil Ball: Storm Timeless
Preferred Company: 900 Global

Re: What can change my PAP?

Post by JJakobsen »

My PAP was 5" right 1" over from 2008 till 2012, then I got into struggles when the centre where I moved to had a lane machine with stone hard wicks. Loads of bad habits formed due to me trying to adapt to this weird condition.

Got rid of the awful thumb roll, but my PAP stayed high, but not as high as now.

I believe there are two reasons why my PAP is even higher now than it was right after I got rid of my thumb roll: I shortened my span by A LOT. It was also WAY too long for me, but I cut it 1/8 more than recommended, especially on the middle finger, as I like to have it deep in there.

I also do have sarge easter, so my ring finger does nothing. And when I got the better span my PAP went up a bit.

Also, when I went back to fingertip for a month in Oct 13, I got a new SG slug with fwd pitch. He meant I grabbed the ball. Now of course, in heinsight, totally wrong assumption, it was my span that was so long I got injuries looking like grabbing, which are gone now (so proven wrong).

When I thought of that last thing, I tried my old 1/8 rev slug, and my roll got flatter and more parallell with the cg line. Still a bit up, but it helped.

Got some ball reaction back as well. I must have been unlucky with pin placement on these balls, as they all became really close to my new PAP.

Anywho, I tweaked my release a tad, swapped slug, and it is almost back to normal, maybe 3/4" above where it should, but far from the 2 1/2" over I had.

Going to get a new SG slug and max the rev pitch in it (as I got 0/0 drilled in ball, I can go 1/4" rev, maybe 1/16 to 1/8 over that without touching the inner sleeve walls). If I see a change in track with that thumb, I atleast know that my thumb is too late out, and the sarge easter isn't helping it either.

I'll keep you updated.
68.2353°N 14.5636°E is where it happens!