Attending the Mark Baker Coaching Camp (2-day)

Questions about coaching?

Moderator: Moderators

steelerfanatic
Heavy Oil Ball: Sync
Medium Oil Ball: Marvel Pearl
Light Oil Ball: Super Natural
Preferred Company: Storm

Attending the Mark Baker Coaching Camp (2-day)

Post by steelerfanatic »

I am attending the Mark Baker coaching camp (2-day.. vs 4-day) this week and am looking to see if any other members have attended in the past (or are going to this one).

I have never been to a camp like this and am not sure what to expect. He has the 2 days layed out nicely and in an informative fashion so I am sure I will learn a ton. I know he has a book out but I am hesitant to read it before the camp in case some of the same material is presented. I learn much better in a hands-on environment so I would prefer to get the book afterwards to reinforce what I have learned instead of the other way around.

I am bringing my equipment with me, but is there anything else I should bring with me? This doesn't include Video Lessons so I was thinking of bringing my GoPro to record the online portion. Or at least to record my self over the 2 days.

What about Pro Sect? On his flyer they will be going over a 6 ball arsenal and lane transition, so not sure if that includes ball layouts. This camp does *not* include new balls. (His vegas 4 day camp does).

Anyway, any feedback is welcome!

TIA-
Mike
Speed 16.5-17 monitor
Rev Rate: 320-350
Axis Rotation: Mid - 30-45
Axis Tilt: Low - <10
PAP: 5 1/4" -> 1/8" ^

Arsenal:
Yeti Unleashed 75x4x25
Nano 60x5.25x40
Yeti 65 x 4.5 55
Frantic 60 x 5.5 x 50
UpRoar 60 x 5 x 45
Scream 65 x 5.5 x 40
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Attending the Mark Baker Coaching Camp (2-day)

Post by guruU2 »

steelerfanatic wrote:I am attending the Mark Baker coaching camp (2-day.. vs 4-day) this week
How was the camp? A mini evaluation?
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
steelerfanatic
Heavy Oil Ball: Sync
Medium Oil Ball: Marvel Pearl
Light Oil Ball: Super Natural
Preferred Company: Storm

Re: Attending the Mark Baker Coaching Camp (2-day)

Post by steelerfanatic »

First- It was oversold. Published limit was 20 but 27 were in. This lowered the ratio and thus information.
Second- It's not a coaching clinic. It's a cliff-notes version of a novel.

5 pairs were used, 3 sport patterns 2 house shots. Chris stood in the middle of the sport shots and watched as people cycled through, Mark watched as people cycled through the THS lanes.

Day one was lane play and body motion, primarily Mark baker describing his view of how to measure timing. Went over lanes breaking down, general ball motion, and small changes you can make to improve your scores.

Day two was a gold mine for me and worth the cost of admission. Chris B presented the information and talked about pattern play. He also went over how to build a 6 ball arsenal.

They don't talk specifics. They aren't there for *you*. No video, no stats. They classify bowlers into categories and talk about ball properties that fit those categories using PBA Pros as examples.

In general I liked it, but wouldn't attend another one. I may see about getting a one-on-one lesson, but Baker doesn't believe in "getting worse to get better" so it's all about your present game and showing you how to get higher scores. It makes sense to a degree, as long as all the other variables stay constant. However I bowl at 3 houses and don't even get the concept of a *typical* house shot as all 3 houses play completely different.

I was looking for an outside opinion on my overall abilities. I wanted an honest assessment of my skills because I would hate to think I am better than I actually am. And contrary to my wife's opinion, I am not the best bowler ever. :lol:
Speed 16.5-17 monitor
Rev Rate: 320-350
Axis Rotation: Mid - 30-45
Axis Tilt: Low - <10
PAP: 5 1/4" -> 1/8" ^

Arsenal:
Yeti Unleashed 75x4x25
Nano 60x5.25x40
Yeti 65 x 4.5 55
Frantic 60 x 5.5 x 50
UpRoar 60 x 5 x 45
Scream 65 x 5.5 x 40