New High School Bowling Team - Ideas to run practices

Questions about coaching?

Moderator: Moderators

TrashHeap
Preferred Company: Columbia300

New High School Bowling Team - Ideas to run practices

Post by TrashHeap »

We have a new High School Bowling Team. I am looking for ideas on how to run practices.

One thing I see is we have a lot of kids that are new to bowling and we also have some kids that bowl really well.

So how do you deal with all these various levels?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
steve s
Preferred Company: none

Re: New High School Bowling Team - Ideas to run practices

Post by steve s »

TrashHeap wrote:We have a new High School Bowling Team. I am looking for ideas on how to run practices.

One thing I see is we have a lot of kids that are new to bowling and we also have some kids that bowl really well.

So how do you deal with all these various levels?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
First I would break the group into skill levels...Have the better ones working on improvement of more advanced skills and those that are new to bowling on the basics of skill building...spare shooting would be my first on the list... More advanced skills may just be targeting different arrows and adjusting to hit the pocket...learning different areas of lane play...Try to make practice as fun as possible ....build some competition at a fun level during part of the session.... Steve S
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

Par bowling, low score wins. I played this with my daughter while teaching her how to bowl. It really evens out the field. Once she figured out how to throw her corner pins she gave me a run for my money. We played with gutter balls are +10. Double gutter +20. If guttered on the first ball and you struck on the 2nd ball then it made the frame a 0 count.
Strikes in the 10th for 0 counts. We got to a point when we made shooting for the strikes in the 10th not optional.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
crashin12x
Positive Axis Point: 5" x 7/8"
Speed: 15.7 MPH Off Hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 18
Axis Rotation: 65
Preferred Company: Hammer, Ebonite and MoRich

Post by crashin12x »

We are running a developmental program for youth and this what we do

1. 10minutes of stretching (we switch between dynamic and static) every week
2. As part of team building, we offer prayers
3. Divide the group into 3 - Novice or beginners, Intermediate and Advance
4. We run common drills like foul line, 1-step, 2-step , push away etc. this will also encourage the beginners to see their advance peers still doing the same things as they are learning. around 30 mins. Though we limit this to 2 drills each meetings.
5. then we break the group and target specific drills/lesson for each class.
6. We let them play a game or two depending if time allows.
7. Gather the team for a short discussions of the things they learned
8. close the practice with prayers, ask each to thank their parents or sponsors if they are in the house,and finish the day with the team cheer!

In between we hold fun games, serious tournament for them. of course as others have said, the challenge is to make this experience as fun as possible each and every passing weeks. Cheers!
LHB
PAP 5" over LEFT x 7/8" over UP
Tilt 18*
Speed 16 MPH (Off Hand)
Rev 250 RPM
Rot 65*
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Post by spmcgivern »

At the high school level, I feel the most important thing to instill is knowledge. Physical games will be changing at that age and will continue to change. But knowledge is something that is built up from nothing.

I have coached at the college level. Physical development is paramount. But if the bowler doesn't understand why a physical trait is required, it will less likely become habit. The bowler needs to understand the whys of bowling.

Work in a classroom setting first, explaining the whys of a particular goal. This could be how to shoot at a ten pin and why it is approached in that way. Once the student understands this, then proceed to the physical execution of that goal. During the physical execution, continue the teaching not by telling them what to do, but by letting the student correct themselves based on their knowledge (this may require some guidance).

Once the physical execution is completed, return to the classroom to discuss the differences of the goal and what was accomplished. Add to this what would be required on their own time if needed.

I am assuming there won't be enough time for "working out" but I feel the bowler needs to know what exercises should be done (with frequency) to assist them in their physical game.

Edit: Also included in the knowledge section should be information about equipment.