Moderator: Moderators

ballspoint
Speed: 20 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 70

drop shoulder query

Post by ballspoint »

I am being coached learning the drop shoulder, couple of questions, what is a good position when setting up for the feet?
pointing towards the target, or towards the foul line?, also what is the best way to set up when bowling down the 5 board?, still open shoulders to help get the head over the ball? i have tried it and seems to work, but just need some advice to make sure iam doing it correctly. my coach suggests 'what suits you'.
Cheers.
R/H, 20 mph off hand. 250 Revs.
11* Tilt. 70* Rotation. 5 5/8 x 1"up
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: drop shoulder query

Post by JMerrell »

ballspoint wrote:I am being coached learning the drop shoulder, couple of questions

If you want to learn about DYDS then pick up a copy of the “See It, Feel It, Do It” manual. A lower ball side shoulder is a resultant of proper spine angle tilt.

What is a good position when setting up for the feet? Pointing towards the target, or towards the foul line? Also what is the best way to set up when bowling down the 5 board?, still open shoulders to help get the head over the ball? I have tried it and seems to work, but just need some advice to make sure I am doing it correctly. My coach suggests 'what suits you'.

When the ball is released it travels in a straight line from the laydown point to the breakpoint. If you extend the target line back to the feet, the right foot should be setup on this line. Both feet should be pointing down the intended target line, whether you are playing straight up the boards or are covering a lot of boards.

Opening the shoulders in of itself does not place the head over the ball……you must have spine tilt!

As to your second question, once you establish a proper address position, it should be your base line position no matter what angle of the shot you are attempting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
RevZiLLa
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by RevZiLLa »

Slowinsky recently posted that the neck and head should move further to the right (right handed) as you put the ball into motion. That was in the DYDS group on fb. What do you think, Jim?
=======================================================
RevZ
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

Hey Rev, not sure a Tin Level coach like myself should be questioning the word of a USBC Gold Level Coach. :o

You ask, do I think the head and neck move further right during ball placement?
Not without an increase in our lateral spine tilt angle. :lol:

Let's review the fundamentals:

1) Lateral spine tilt at address positions our head over the outside of the ball side foot.
2) Ball is then positioned under our head.
3) A Balance Beam step during ball placement increases our lateral spine tilt as we keep the head over the ball.
4) During release the trail leg moves left facilitating another increase in lateral spine tilt angle.

my 2 cents
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
RevZiLLa
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by RevZiLLa »

USBC inactive means you have evolved beyond them.... The extra spine tilt from the balance beam walk makes perfect sense.

Thank you
=======================================================
RevZ
ballspoint
Speed: 20 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 70

Post by ballspoint »

JMerrell wrote:
A picture is worth a thousand words, those small correct adjustments make the difference between a good or bad shot, Thank you!
R/H, 20 mph off hand. 250 Revs.
11* Tilt. 70* Rotation. 5 5/8 x 1"up