THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over 7/8 up
Speed: 18 MPH off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 75

Too far inside the ball?

Post by AJCZAR »

Just a general question. Is it possible to be too far inside the ball at the release point? Most of the stills on the Wiki show the pros dead behind the ball, even though some use significant wrist cock.

Thanks in advance
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Too far inside the ball?

Post by JMerrell »

Move your post for additional commentary from the community.
My response to your question
Just a general question. Is it possible to be too far inside the ball at the release point? Most of the stills on the Wiki show the pros dead behind the ball, even though some use significant wrist cock.

There is release point and there is release area..…two different entities, that I outlined in the article:
Pros Play the Inside…Amateurs Play the Outside
1) As the swing and ball enter the release area (this is defined as the ball position being just slightly behind the calf of the slide leg) while the hand is still positioned on the Inside of the Reference Line.
2) As the swing and ball near the bottom of the swing the hand moves to a position approximately behind the Reference Line.
3) As the swing nears the front of the foot the hand has rotated to a position on the Outside of the Reference Line.

The release point happens as the hand moves from inside the line to outside the line. Much like finger prints the release point is different for each of us.

I do not believe you can be too far inside the ball entering the release area, provided you have a quick enough hand to rotate through the ball to the outside of the line prior to the release point.

Is it possible to be too far inside the ball entering the release area?
I believe Michael Fagan would say no. But then he does have a very quick hand.

We would never want the hand on the inside as the thumb is exiting the ball (unless of course we wanted to see it back up).
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"