Axis Tilt: 5
Axis Rotation: 55
Medium Oil Ball: storm IQ tour pearl
Light Oil Ball: rotogrip scream
Preferred Company: storm/roto grip

Re: Knee Continuation

Post by kboveington »

John, thank you for the link.

I like that quote from mo " soft knees carry corners " it makes a lot of sense. I often find when I stand up on a shot or am too aggressive to the line I either throw it past the breakpoint or the ball is still hooking into the pocket thus creating bad pin carry.
Make spares make cut, miss spares miss cut. " Bill O'Neil "
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp »

JMerrell wrote: Certification is a noun that refers to the confirmation of certain characteristics of an object, person, or organization....validity always being somewhat subjective.

Helping the willing whenever you can.........PRICELESS!
I personally believe you don't need to be qualified to be a good coach. Knowledge and Intelligence (and sporting IQ) aren't always represented by a piece of paper, and just because someone has their piece of paper doesn't mean they automatically make a good coach.

I've taught at University level and met many an academic with absolutely no clue about how to teach or impart information to their students, and the same can be said for some of the bowling coaches (and golf coaches etc.) i've met. Great bowlers, not so great at coaching or sharing ideas.

I've learnt a lot from how Jim goes about it with his individual analysis, and i can't think of a better role model.

Re Knee Continuation, i've found that when bowlers get the fundamentals right (especially timing with a good pivot step and slide), this is almost an automatic occurance. So getting back to my original post, maybe they misunderstood what Chris Barnes meant, or he was trying to control it for a (very) specific reason.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

I personally believe you don't need to be qualified (I think you meant certified) to be a good coach. Knowledge and Intelligence (and sporting IQ) aren't always represented by a piece of paper, and just because someone has their piece of paper doesn't mean they automatically make a good coach.

I've taught at University level and met many an academic with absolutely no clue about how to teach or impart information to their students, and the same can be said for some of the bowling coaches (and golf coaches etc.) i've met. Great bowlers, not so great at coaching or sharing ideas.

I've learnt a lot from ho
Just as Joni Mitchell wrote

"we don't need no papers from the City Hall keepin' us tied and true"
I agree with you.

On the topic of certification, when I took the bronze seminar, about 1/3 of the folks there already had outstanding credentials, accomplishments, and knowledge, their acumen was forged in the crucible of real life experience and association with masters.
I'm sure the certification was a formality and in some cases, their employers wanted them to get the paper.

Almost every would be coach (myself included) needs a Mr Miagi in my opinion.
Some of the most gifted coaches that I'm aware of have paid homage and acknowledged mentors and influences.
Mr Miagi.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
Bdgf99
THS Average: 217
Positive Axis Point: 5" over, 3/8" up
Speed: 15.5 at Camera
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Jackal Ghost, Mythic Jackal
Medium Oil Ball: Rogue Blade, Ripcord Flight
Light Oil Ball: Purple Tank
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by Bdgf99 »

Good thread, JMerrell also posted about this in my video. At first I thought it was a bad thing, but I love it now! :)

I have knee issues in my slide leg so having that continuation to a point helps cushion the slide and stop on the finish step.