Certified Coach
THS Average: 200
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Mastermind
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Hyroad Pearl
Light Oil Ball: Radical Rack Attack Cherry Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical

How to handle this coaching issue?

Post by bowlaj »

Bowler A replaces injured bowler on our mixed team.
I refinish 2 of his old balls and he pays me for lessons.
I teach him lane play...transitions...etc
After 1st lesson he shoots 269 out of the gate.
He is pleased.

Bowler B knows nothing about lane play, boards, arrows.
She is a pin bowler and sprays her shot.
She has been offered help but says it's all too confusing.
After initial success of Bowler A, she asks why I haven't refinished her balls the same way.

Last nite, Bowler A inquires about how to line up.
Bowler B overhears my explanation and blurts out loudly:
"Leave him alone and let him bowl, you're confusing him"

I ignored her initially but it did break my concentration and our team momentum.

How would you handle this?
Click my green + rep button if this helps!

USBC Bronze Coach

PBA60-Radical Staffer wannabe
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Re: How to handle this coaching issue?

Post by TomaHawk »

A wise old pro shop owner mentioned, in terms of helping bowlers: There's a time a place for everything. During league play, that phrase couldn't be any more true. The other people on the team are also indirectly involved. Try to keep the suggestions simple, after all, it is everyone's night out.
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Post by spmcgivern »

I would simply explain to Bowler B that Bowler A asked for some assistance. It appears the help given to Bowler A has not hindered their performance. I don't care if my teammate is chopping wood out back in between frames, if his score increases when he does this, everything is okay in my book.

But when is the information/teaching too much for a league environment? That is a good question and does not have a universal answer. Some people stay in the game and focused if they are discussing transitions, ball motions and the sort. Yet others want to "ride the horse that got them there" and don't want any interventions during the "competition".

If the added stresses of the "helping" become too high or the information becomes confusing, and the scores reflect it, then it may be over the top and needs to be reeled in. But if the talking and discussions are helping in the scoring department, then Bowler B should be okay with it.
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by kellytehuna »

As I see it, Bowler A asked for assistance lining up during league play and you were trying to offer the information he requested. Personally, during league play, I like to be in constant conversation. It doesn't matter what the conversation is. I just like the distraction. The same goes for tournament play. However, in tournaments, I also know that some people don't like the distraction, so I try to keep myself occupied, while still present, as it were.

In this situation, I would tell her to help if she thinks I can't. I'm not okay with getting called out by team mates during competition. It doesn't help team morale. Especially if it's a tight match up.
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

As a pro shop operator, my policy is that I don't help anyone except my team mates during competition, and then only if they specifically ask for help. If others ask, I tell them to see me after league. If I see someone I think I could help I ask them if they'd like me to work with them away from competition sometime. My reasoning is that if I try to help someone during competition either that person or the bowlers on the opposing team are going to end up mad at me. -- JohnP
kboveington
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5 7/16 right ⅜ down
Speed: 20-21 mph at foul line
Rev Rate: 550
Axis Tilt: 5
Axis Rotation: 55
Medium Oil Ball: storm IQ tour pearl
Light Oil Ball: rotogrip scream
Preferred Company: storm/roto grip

Post by kboveington »

There is no right or wrong way to handle this situation as long as whatever is said to whoever is with tact and respect. I am a very outgoing person and many people have approached me and asked for help whether it may be lining up in shadow balls in league, watching hand position armswing release ect... I will also go up and offer my help to someone if they are struggling. It could be a friend, acquaintance, or complete stranger. In those league type tournament type situations I would recommend pick one thing to address. The last thing any bowler needs is too many things in their head on the approach already struggling. I usually try and pick one thing that may fix three others for example. I usually talk with him or her after bowling is finished and review with how they did what they were seeing the adjustments made and most importantly if I was helpful. Everyone learns differently so you may not be able to relate to that particular person or teaching style.

Even though I bowl mainly competitive leagues I am open to give and take advice at anytime. The bowling community around me for the most part is really great when it comes to this topic and for this I am thankful. My teammates still get *mad* at me when I'm helping guys on the other team, or players they are against in brackets. Haha

Unfortunately there will always be guys who's egos are too big to accept tips from anyone even with the highest credibility and credentials. These people typically average 180 with 20 different bowling balls.
Make spares make cut, miss spares miss cut. " Bill O'Neil "