Speed: 19.2 foul Line
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 60
Preferred Company: EBI

Changing back to 16lb to free up my swing

Post by GrantE »

Hi All,

I had always used 16lb balls but a couple of years ago I changed to 15lb not through injury but due to the fact that in my country 16lb balls were not bought in by distributors.

Over the last couple of years I believe my swing is now muscled and very controlled to the point where my timing has become quite late in steps 2 and 3 (5 step approach).

I have tried several drills and different things to relax my swing but it seems like I just hold the ball out there of the second step.

I coach has recently suggested, if I change back to 16lb it is likely that my swing will free up as it will be harder to hold the ball and the extra weight will allow the ball to drop into the swing quicker and my timing will start to return.

Before I go out and buy a 16lb ball and try out this theory I would be interested to hear the the coaches on the board if this theory is possible.

Look forward to hearing some feedback.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Changing back to 16lb to free up my swing

Post by kajmk »

Grant, consider creating a video set of yourself bowling and submitting it for analysis.

Testing -
Go to a big box store or a sporting goods store that sells Kettlebell weights and try swinging different weights. The KettleBell of course has a handle and would seem to mitigate the grip as a major factor and let you feel the difference in the weight. Exercise care and be aware of your surroundings.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG
I have tried several drills and different things to relax my swing but it seems like I just hold the ball out there of the second step.

You might also benefit by reading the Kungfu Grip Thread
If you squeeze for any reason be it habit or a tape issue or a grip issue, it's like adding starch to your game ...
Look especially at the comments made by Mo and MegaMav

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4015&p=39671&hilit ... fbc#p39671" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Grip Test
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... on_Johnson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sometimes starting is the hardest part of any endeavor
Consider this clever gambit by Mo Pinel
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... _Technique" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ball Placement (Do you hinge it?)
This is an excerpt from a post by Mo Pinel
source - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=384&p=3446&hilit=hinge#p3446" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Points remember
1) Stay loose at setup. Draw mental line from pins, through breakpoint, back to arrow marks.
2) Sliding hinge pushaway, don't lock elbow. Let gravity pull ball down.
3) Walk past the ball
4) Let gravity carry from the top of the swing down
5) Stick the finish, deep knee bend.

A bit more mention on the hinge in these 2 posts including the genesis of Jim's Drill as found on the wiki. Note the use of the words fluidity and relaxed. This does not mean spaghetti armed.

Look at Joe Slowinski's post at
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6710&p=55172&hilit=hinge#p55172" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; js

Look at Jim Merrell's post at
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6123&p=48863&hilit=hinge#p48863" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; jm

The "King Of Swing"
This is taken from Bill Spigners website
http://www.billspigner.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (see wiki references)
http://www.billspigner.com/pdf/0810_Bill_BJI.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Excerpt from Spigner's analysis
Capture.JPG

Physiology
Are there elements of your physique that would make a "free" swing difficult or perhaps not the best way for you? For example, if you are a body builder. Jeff Lizzi is a heavily muscled man that used to bowl on the PBA tour he did not and could not have a "free" swing.

We are all different
As you have heard, bowling is not a one size fits all sport. The best strategy is to find what actually works best for you and being able to repeat it consistently.
Generating momentum, being in a balanced and leveraged position at the foul, a competent release on line to the target.
Not everyone's answer lies in a free swing.

Again, a well formatted video would speak volumes and expose any potential areas for reconsideration in your technique should any exist in your game.
As an example, look at Joe Slowinski's analysis of a video
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7547" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This bowler has a controlled swing. I'm only pointing this example out as an example of some elements of a game and what they impede or encourage.

On Creating a Video for analysis
This is a link to a write up on the wiki
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... e_Coaching" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Drills -
You mentioned doing drills. Have you tried this drill as described by Jim Merrell?
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... im_Merrell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ritger Drills - Ball Placement Drill.jpg

My initial GUESS is that the situation you stated is not rooted in the weight of the ball. This is sight unseen and really just a guess.

Post a topic requesting help with your fit
I would also advise that you post a grip related topic in the Pro Shop forum to discuss aspects of ball fitting with some of the expert ball techs on the forum.

p.s. - ask your coach or coaches to chime in on the forum!!

p.p.s. If you'd like to read articles or view videos or listen to podcasts, there are a number of good websites that are referenced on the wiki,
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ated_Sites" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A few examples: Ron Clifton's, Richard Shockley's, Joe Slowinski's, Next Level Bowling has 6 video sessions with Norm Duke, there are some good podcasts at above180.com

Bowling This Month Magazine
November 2012 Ball weight, ball speed, pin carry, and wrist braces
by Mike Jasnau (The Round Table)

December 2007 Ball weights and overreaction
by Steve Kloempken (The Round Table)

September 2003 Does ball weight matter? What speed on spares?

May 2003 Does ball weight matter? What speed on spares?

August 2001 Over the green - drop your ball weight, watch your carry rise
by Bill Taylor (Making your best shot)

February 2001 What effect on carry? Reevaluating gross weight
by Denny Torgerson (Torgy's Tips)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kajmk on April 4th, 2013, 11:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Changing back to 16lb to free up my swing

Post by kajmk »

Grant, the original reply has been updated. Just adding this note on the happenstance you are set up for email notices when replies are made.

Take care.

Your initial question was the impetus behind the creation of
Bowling Ball Weight pros and cons, comments

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7767&view=viewpoll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John