Questions about coaching?

Moderator: Moderators

doogie
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: undecided

proper approach

Post by doogie »

I have a problem. No it isn't being lefthanded. I have been bowling for years, as some of you know from previous post. I have run into a very bad slump. From 236 down to 216 avg. in 10 weeks. It seems I just don't feel comfortable during my approach. Here is what i was recently told to do by a young ball driller of about 9 months. Oh, and a very good bowler. Don't want to take that away from him. I have always been told, " walk toward your target". Ex., if you are trying to play 15 at the arrows with a break point of 10 at the range finders, I will stand 28 on the approach and slide 26. Now, I was practicing with a new ball and the young gentleman said I drift a bit, which I have always done. But he said I was walking crooked. I should walk straight and push the ball to my target. I have never been told that. As a matter of fact, I had always been told, if you don't walk toward the way you are releasing the ball, then it can cause you to chicken wing or get the ball away from your body. What is correct, walking toward your presumed target or walk straight and throw the ball towards your target, aka walking straight up 22 and throwing the ball out to the target zone? Thanks for the replies
Passed April 14, 2019.
Rest in Peace.
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Re: proper approach

Post by spmcgivern »

For me, I have always drifted slightly to the left and then my last two steps are to the right toward my target (right hander). I developed this naturally when I started to gain revolutions and the equipment became stronger. Perhaps in the past, when bowlers played a more direct line, walking straight was preferred. But even the methods Coach Merrell teach have you moving slightly to the left during the first few steps and sliding back to the right upon release (right hander). Maybe, in a perfect world, you will always end up on the same board you started, but I am not that consistent, but close. I drift more to the left and slide back to the right a little more dramatic, but still in the same vicinity of where I started (within a board).
doogie
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by doogie »

Thank you for the relief. I thought that was what Merrell taught along with other coaches. I had been taught to move toward the target. Also, when Mo taught me to tight rope my steps then I would cross over to the same spot I started, as you say, within a board. He said it was due to the fact that it gets your hip out of the way to allow your swing to be in the proper alignment. I thought that was correct. Anyway thanks for the help.
Passed April 14, 2019.
Rest in Peace.
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Post by spmcgivern »

Just to reiterate, I can't confirm Merrell says to "slide toward your target." He and many others do suggest to slide to the right for a right-hander (left for a left-hander) after tight-roping the earlier steps for the reason you stated. I guess there could be some exaggerated cases where the slide back to right could be too extreme.
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by kellytehuna »

It really depends how much you're wanting to open up the lanes, I think. I'm no coach, but by observing the pros, you will notice a LOT of them drift left early in the approach, if at all, but almost invariably, their last 2 steps (power step and slide) start to head back toward their target. At the very least, their power step goes straight ahead of them. Good examples of this are Wes Mallot and Ryan Ciminelli. Very different styles, but both use a LOT of drift.
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
Tappster
Preferred Company: Track

Post by Tappster »

Without responding to every question I will try to summarize a little and hope it helps.

Walking straight and pushing towards the target is a no-no. Any time the ball gets away from under the head, (using the example standing on 28 targeting 15) the ball is going to wrap behind the back and pull you in a different direction. Trust me, I used to be the King, after working with Mo, now I'm only a Prince.

When you use either the "tightrope" or "crossover" step it opens up the hips to the target line and the slide foot comes back under the center of the body, not necessarily towards the target. Along that same idea, the right shoulder down and head over the target accomplishes the same thing. The body and hip are out of the way so it allows the swing and ball to stay under the head. Most pros drift a few boards but as long as the foot comes back under and the hip is down its fine.

If you check out the wiki, you'll also see the focal point target system that helps get the shoulders and hips in line to the ball path.
doogie
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by doogie »

Thanks guys for the input. It just confirms my thinking. I was always taught to tight rope, aka, Mo P. and Suzie Menshaw. This was a relatively young guy the really rips the ball as most do. He said, I drift to the right(Im a lefty) then cross back to about the same place I started and dont walk straight. So, thanks again for the insight. It really feels good to be right sometimes. Even if I am left handed.
Passed April 14, 2019.
Rest in Peace.