Board index » Coaching Forums » Coaching Discussion




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: The Modern Release
 Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:20 pm Post Number: #1 Post
Offline
Trusted Source

Joined: August 1, 2010
Posts: 1440
Location: Florence, Ky
Reputation: 2203
Reputation Power: 10
Fundamentals of the Modern Release

Often when attempting to develop the modern release a bowler only sees the effects; not the causes.

Causes:

1) Head over the ball throughout the approach and release (first slide of T.J).
2) Hand on the inside of the ball at the top of the swing (second slide of T.J).
3) Maintain the wrist cock entering release (second slide of T.J).
4) Un-cocking the wrist during the release (various professional releases).
5) Nike Swoosh!


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Modern Release
 Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:55 pm Post Number: #2 Post
Offline
Mo Pinel
User avatar

Joined: January 26, 2010
Posts: 10054
Reputation: 642
Reputation Power: 7
JMerrell wrote:
Fundamentals of the Modern Release

Often when attempting to develop the modern release a bowler only sees the effects; not the causes.

Causes:

1) Head over the ball throughout the approach and release (first slide of T.J).
2) Hand on the inside of the ball at the top of the swing (second slide of T.J).
3) Maintain the wrist cock entering release (second slide of T.J).
4) Un-cocking the wrist during the release (various professional releases).
5) Nike Swoosh!


Hey, you bowlers with low rotation and tilt, THIS IS WHAT YOU'RE MISSING! It's the wrist cock, NOT THE WRIST CUP, that does it. In fact, if you look closely, all these guys unload the wrist cup at release, if they use any. LOOK! YOU'LL BE MUCH BETTER OFF FOR IT!

Great work, Jim!


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Modern Release
 Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:29 pm Post Number: #3 Post
Offline
Pro Shop
User avatar

Joined: January 26, 2010
Posts: 260
Location: Richmond, VA
Reputation: 17
Reputation Power: 1
Thanks, Jim and Mo!

I remember something about following through so you can see your target between your thumb and index finger. IIRC, the Nike swoosh is the motion of your fingers under and around your thumb.

Please correct an misconceptions.

_________________
=======================================================
RevZ


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Modern Release
 Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:24 pm Post Number: #4 Post
Offline
Pro Shop
User avatar

Joined: October 7, 2010
Posts: 71
Location: Sweden
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
Great stuff Jim :)

Something for the wiki perhaps?

_________________
http://www.olofstromsbowlinghall.se/


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Modern Release
 Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:53 pm Post Number: #5 Post
Offline
Trusted Source
User avatar

Joined: January 19, 2010
Posts: 543
Location: Washington, WV
Reputation: 143
Reputation Power: 2
Jonny Sweden wrote:
Great stuff Jim :)

Something for the wiki perhaps?



Jim is the man!! He already has it done..
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... rn_Release


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Modern Release
 Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:56 pm Post Number: #6 Post
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: October 26, 2010
Posts: 29
Location: Tirana, Albania
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
Thnx Jim !

This was a big missing puzzle in my game.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Modern Release
 Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:04 pm Post Number: #7 Post
Offline
Trusted Source

Joined: August 1, 2010
Posts: 1440
Location: Florence, Ky
Reputation: 2203
Reputation Power: 10
A big missing puzzle in the coaching game as well.

_________________
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Modern Release
 Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:09 am Post Number: #8 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: November 8, 2010
Posts: 4
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
I will try this... but I wonder if it will help me pry it off my hand when I really need one!


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Modern Release
 Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:09 am Post Number: #9 Post
Offline
Trusted Source

Joined: August 1, 2010
Posts: 1440
Location: Florence, Ky
Reputation: 2203
Reputation Power: 10
Kdub.
Remember a properly fitted ball will let go of you!
Grip pressure is the enemy of the good shot making.

Jim

_________________
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Modern Release
 Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:53 pm Post Number: #10 Post
Offline
Certified Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 25, 2010
Posts: 3407
Location: Sun City Arizona
Reputation: 651
Reputation Power: 7
Would thinking of how one throws a frisbee or skims a rock across water be helpful imagery for some?

_________________
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so

There should be a rule of war saying you have to see someone up close and get to know 'em before it's ok to shoot 'em

Empathize

John


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Modern Release
 Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:11 pm Post Number: #11 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: April 27, 2010
Posts: 57
Location: DeKalb, IL
Reputation: 7
Reputation Power: 1
kajmk wrote:
Would thinking of how one throws a frisbee or skims a rock across water be helpful imagery for some?


To me, that would make me think of cupping my wrist. We're looking for wrist cock. Try thinking of pointing your finger tips towards your ankle with your palm facing the pins.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Modern Release
 Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:26 pm Post Number: #12 Post
Online
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: April 26, 2007
Posts: 4439
Location: Malta, NY
Reputation: 1005
Reputation Power: 10
Coach Merrell was kind enough to give us this illustration in a previous post.
Since this wrist cock concept has come up multiple times, I think we should put this on the wiki.
Any volunteers?


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Please press the Image button if you feel I've been helpful.

“When you prepare for everything, you’re ready for anything.” - Bill Walsh


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Modern Release
 Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:28 am Post Number: #13 Post
Offline
Trusted Source

Joined: August 1, 2010
Posts: 1440
Location: Florence, Ky
Reputation: 2203
Reputation Power: 10
The wrist cock is in the wiki

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... Wrist_cock

thanks for your help Eric,

Jim

_________________
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Modern Release
 Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:43 pm Post Number: #14 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: September 23, 2010
Posts: 35
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
Mo Pinel wrote:
JMerrell wrote:
Fundamentals of the Modern Release

Often when attempting to develop the modern release a bowler only sees the effects; not the causes.

Causes:

1) Head over the ball throughout the approach and release (first slide of T.J).
2) Hand on the inside of the ball at the top of the swing (second slide of T.J).
3) Maintain the wrist cock entering release (second slide of T.J).
4) Un-cocking the wrist during the release (various professional releases).
5) Nike Swoosh!


Hey, you bowlers with low rotation and tilt, THIS IS WHAT YOU'RE MISSING! It's the wrist cock, NOT THE WRIST CUP, that does it. In fact, if you look closely, all these guys unload the wrist cup at release, if they use any. LOOK! YOU'LL BE MUCH BETTER OFF FOR IT!

Great work, Jim!


Low rotation and tilt. Based on the videos I have sent so far, this is definitely speaking to me based off your comments Mr. Merrell. You both are absolutely right in my case though. Got work to do with improving AR and getting more hitting power.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Modern Release
 Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:13 pm Post Number: #15 Post
Offline
Trusted Source

Joined: August 1, 2010
Posts: 1440
Location: Florence, Ky
Reputation: 2203
Reputation Power: 10
The BIG key here is to maintain the wrist cock until the bottom of the swing.
The quicker the hand - the higher the rev rate.

Notice the severe amount of wrist cock Wes has entering the release area and how quickly he releases the wrist cock (tilt).
The average bowler with this much wrist cock usually MAINTAINS the wrist cock through release.
This results in a longer first transition.
Often this bowler compounds the problem by adding a LOT of AR during the release.
Alot of axis tilt and axis rotation - great when bowling on a fried lane condition. Not so great when bowling on competitive conditions.

When practicing The Modern Release take care not to over work the process.
As simple as the professionals make it look; when done incorrectly it can cause even greater frustration for the bowler.

Practice with a camera if at all possible,
Jim

_________________
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Modern Release
 Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:39 pm Post Number: #16 Post
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: November 9, 2010
Posts: 25
Location: Parkersburg, WV
Reputation: 0
Reputation Power: 1
kajmk wrote:
Would thinking of how one throws a frisbee or skims a rock across water be helpful imagery for some?


I think the imagery of throwing an underhand spiral with a football would be more accurate.

As far as the tilt and rotation discussion... i am able to achieve about 70 degrees of rotation with only 10 degrees of tilt at about 400 rpm using the modern release. It is all about how fast the wrist collapses at the bottom of the swing.

_________________
M I N I - M O

PAP: 3 1/2 x 5/8 up
Tilt: 10°
Rotation: 80°
Speed: 18.5 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 350 rpm

MoRich Perpetual MOtion - 70/4/45
MoRich RipR - 65/3.75/30 P3
Brunswick Avalanche Urethane - 65/3.5/35
Brunswick Power Groove Reactive - 80/3/50
Faball High Rev 3D Offset - DT


Last edited by Mo Balls on Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Modern Release
 Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:46 pm Post Number: #17 Post
Offline
Trusted Source
User avatar

Joined: January 21, 2010
Posts: 420
Location: TX
Reputation: 28
Reputation Power: 1
Jim,

I have a number of beginning students who are just learning to throw a hook (or learning the proper way), and I've had some trouble getting some to physically understand / be able to do it. I have shown them pictures like these and done the movements myself very slowly, and explained it in a couple different ways, but it seems there is always some one who just doesn't get it or barely gets it.

How have you helped these types of students learn to hook the ball? Is it just a case of repetition? In my case some of my students are more recreational and while they are willing to simplify things for a few shots (such as swing and release), they don't want to keep doing that for 30 or 45 minutes at a time. And as soon as they go back to a full approach, even if they were able to release it correctly (or at least, half decent) when just standing at the line, that all goes out the door because of all the other motions going on. That is probably my biggest frustration, the student who wants to learn something new but won't cut it down to focusing on just one thing at a time until that one thing is muscle memory, before moving on to the next skill.

_________________
Matt

-- Using Video To Measure Rev Rate, Speed, Tilt & Rotation --
-- Tips - How To Capture Video For Rev Rate, Speed, Tilt, & Rotation Measurement --
-- Tips - Video Capture For Bowler Assessment / Coaching --


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Modern Release
 Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:20 am Post Number: #18 Post
Offline
Mo Pinel
User avatar

Joined: January 26, 2010
Posts: 10054
Reputation: 642
Reputation Power: 7
MattInTheHat wrote:
Jim,

I have a number of beginning students who are just learning to throw a hook (or learning the proper way), and I've had some trouble getting some to physically understand / be able to do it. I have shown them pictures like these and done the movements myself very slowly, and explained it in a couple different ways, but it seems there is always some one who just doesn't get it or barely gets it.

How have you helped these types of students learn to hook the ball? Is it just a case of repetition? In my case some of my students are more recreational and while they are willing to simplify things for a few shots (such as swing and release), they don't want to keep doing that for 30 or 45 minutes at a time. And as soon as they go back to a full approach, even if they were able to release it correctly (or at least, half decent) when just standing at the line, that all goes out the door because of all the other motions going on. That is probably my biggest frustration, the student who wants to learn something new but won't cut it down to focusing on just one thing at a time until that one thing is muscle memory, before moving on to the next skill.


It's part of the learning and maturation process. Focus is difficult for some kids at this age. You can't rush maturity. Stay with it.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

Board index » Coaching Forums » Coaching Discussion


 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: