New to bowling

Questions about coaching?

Moderator: Moderators

Woodd

New to bowling

Post by Woodd »

Hello, I am coaching our high school bowling team because no one else would do it. I have no bowling experience other than doing it for fun. Where is the best spot for me to go to learn more about how to coach my high school bowlers? I have watched basic videos but I need more information to help benefit my kids. Thank you
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Re: New to bowling

Post by JimH »

I suggest that you contact the local bowling association and ask for assistance. The local association has a duty to promote and develop bowling in the area. You might also contact the bowling proprietors in the area, and also the other schools in the area. Each of these groups should be able to provide some assistance.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

Woodd wrote: May 21st, 2021, 9:49 pm Hello, I am coaching our high school bowling team because no one else would do it. I have no bowling experience other than doing it for fun. Where is the best spot for me to go to learn more about how to coach my high school bowlers? I have watched basic videos but I need more information to help benefit my kids. Thank you
It's great that you have decided to get involved in high school bowling!

The most important thing is to make it fun.

Is there a pro shop you feel comfortable with? The pro shop is going to be a good source for information. They can help in the selection of equipment that will be critical to the bowling program too.

How advanced is the program? If everyone is relatively new, you can all grow together. If the bowlers are experienced, they'll probably let you know.

Internet videos are fine. Everyone has a little different take on what constitutes good bowling technique. As with anything, sorting out the relevant from the irrelevant is half the battle.

Are you in an area where someone offers private or group lessons? Join the class. No better way to learn the basic principles of bowling than to put yourself in the shoes of a student.

Above all, enjoy yourself. High school bowling will provide you with memories that will last a lifetime.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Woodd,

Periodically, the USBC sponsors coaching seminars presented by a volunteer Silver coach from the area at the request of a local bowling center.
Generally, these seminars are for the Level 1 and Bronze level coaching, and may be of value to you.
On the USBC website, you can download the USBC High School Coaching Guide, and it has a lot of pertinent information for you.
I particularly like the Items of Concern information found in the USBC HS Coaching Guide.

Glenn
Bowling Is More Art Than Science
"Glenn is not an expert..."
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Glenn wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 3:26 pm Woodd,

Periodically, the USBC sponsors coaching seminars presented by a volunteer Silver coach from the area at the request of a local bowling center.
Generally, these seminars are for the Level 1 and Bronze level coaching, and may be of value to you.
On the USBC website, you can download the USBC High School Coaching Guide, and it has a lot of pertinent information for you.
I particularly like the Items of Concern information found in the USBC HS Coaching Guide.

Glenn
Kudos for volunteering to help the youngsters!

Following Glenn's lead

Navigate to the USBC Page as a starting point.
USBC
https://www.bowl.com/ - Path High School Home / Materials

Copied from USBC

MATERIALS
All of the following materials can be ordered and shipped to you for free. Place your order by emailing USBChighschool@bowl.com

Official Guide
Looking for information about high school bowling? The USBC High School Guide is what you need. This informative, easy-to-use handbook includes everything you'll need to start a high school bowling program in your area such as: suggested playing rules, certifying post-season events through USBC, future opportunities for high school athletes and more. A great resource for school administrators, coaches and athletes. Click here to take a look.

USBC High School Coaching Guide (Download Only)
This collaboration from USBC High School and USBC Coaching and Training has everything needed to help grow your high school bowling team. From fundamentals to team drills, this guide offers the tools to aid any coach or volunteer looking to elevate their high school team to the next level. Click here to download the USBC High School coaching guide.

Coaching
Since high school bowling is just beginning to be recognized as a serious competitive sport in the high schools, there are very few experienced school staff members trained to either instruct or coach bowling. Currently, certified volunteers from local bowling centers, pro shops and membership organizations are being utilized.

USBC Coaching and Training provides coaches of all levels the materials to help them learn how to coach young bowlers. Click here to learn more.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Woodd, be sure to check out the forum wiki, it is a treasure trove of bowling information including links to external resources , lists of books etc.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... =Main_Page

Keep us posted as you see fit.

John
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

woodd,

I forgot to mention that Del Warren of Kegel Training Center has a series of YouTube videos on coaching for Teen Masters that are very enlightening.
Bowling Is More Art Than Science
"Glenn is not an expert..."
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Glenn wrote: May 25th, 2021, 4:08 pm woodd,

I forgot to mention that Del Warren of Kegel Training Center has a series of YouTube videos on coaching for Teen Masters that are very enlightening.

Excellent choice Glenn!

There are links on the wiki
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ence_video

Remember, there are ways to drill that do not require presence at a bowling center.
Thats a time and money saver.

John
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

One more thing (its the Columbo in me),
Consider a subscription to bowling this month (BTM)
Although written many years ago, I know of no better compendium of bowling knowledge than that set to text by Tom Kouros "Par bowling the challenge".
That is to say if I had only 1 choice, that would be mine. This is not to say there are none better, just my choice. Note, several books and videos have been reviewed by forum members, see wiki for links.Again, the wiki is a very good resource!
E.g. the coaching section -

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... e=Coaching

https://www.bowlingthismonth.com

Keep in touch ...

John
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Become a USBC Bronze Coach and get your school to sponsor you to take the Kegel KCMP courses, the Direction Module is a must. I wish we had high school bowling here in Puerto Rico. Hit me up if you need any advice, I love to talk bowling (and Real Estate LOL)

Antonio Solla
(787)362-1966
USBC Silver Coach
KCMP Level 1 and 2
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent