To all the coaches.

Questions about coaching?

Moderator: Moderators

spr3wr
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

To all the coaches.

Post by spr3wr »

How can/do you turn off your coaching mode when bowling? I analyze every second/step on every shot. Any books, articles or videos on this subject?
None active - USBC Bronze level coach
Dick Ritger level 1 coach
2 300 games
1 800 series
High average 223
Coaching with pros in clinics since 2004
steve s
Preferred Company: none

Re: To all the coaches.

Post by steve s »

In my opinion it is all mental ...change the focus of your mind ...discipline your self...some use music on tape ( walkman ) to keep there minds occupied when not on the approach...some use conservations with fellow bowlers to keep there minds in other places...Have you read the book the mental game? There may be something in there that you can use...The more we know the more we try to analogize and look for the whys...Steve S
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

spr3wr wrote:How can/do you turn off your coaching mode when bowling? I analyze every second/step on every shot. Any books, articles or videos on this subject?

Roll playing is always educational. Schizophrenia is inherent to bowling. Mental discipline and an occasional drink will help.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
Slap
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by Slap »

I haven't found a way to turn off my brain. Some weeks it's a blessing and other weeks it's a curse.
Buggs41
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 181
Positive Axis Point: Not documented yet
Speed: 17
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 40
Preferred Company: 900 Global

Post by Buggs41 »

There are so many bowlers that are better than I am. I know we will meet in competition someday. My game is sound. Errant shots will happen, and don't count.

When challenged for score, I become more focused on my execution of each shot. The result of each shot makes me want to achieve it again.

Positive mental game is the key! Don't nit-pick the factors that don't directly affect the score.