Fingers across the back not up the back

Questions about coaching?

Moderator: Moderators

ineedhelp

Fingers across the back not up the back

Post by ineedhelp »

Anyone have any literature/tips/drills to help me learn how to get my fingers across the back instead of up the back? More specifically for a 2hand / no thumber?

Also wondering if using finger tip vs conventional depth would aid in lowering my track. I have tried pitches suggested by Mo and he said it's a technique issue for me
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Fingers across the back not up the back

Post by elgavachon »

Some people do it by cocking hand (not cupping). puts all the weight on your pointer finger which is in line with your wrist/arm/elbow and has fingers aimed left (for right hander).
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

elgavachon wrote:Some people do it by cocking hand (not cupping). puts all the weight on your pointer finger which is in line with your wrist/arm/elbow and has fingers aimed left (for right hander).
Initially I was not sure what "ineedhelp" meant. I can be a bit dense at times.
My first inkling is to echo elgavachon.

I'd suggest first working with a lighter house ball, you can just insert to fingertip depth.
Start carefully and at reduced speed. Safety first.
You will also see the oil rings since its not an oil sponge.
You might bring a grease pencil and mark the initial track location, then wipe the oil off and repeat noting consistency, then try the same with fingers at full depth if they fit.
Marking the PAP with white adhesive tape is a good visual side.

Look at Jim Merrell's wiki article on playing the inside of the ball and Ron Clifton's article 35 thru 38 on release

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... f_the_ball" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/roncarchive.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The fingers outside the holes can alter roll characteristics, this is overlooked by some.
Ron also covers that in Finger Dancing.

Have fun.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

I tend to think of this type of release in terms of "winding up" the hand position toward the inside of the ball as the ball descends into the release zone, then allowing gravity and inertia to unwind it rapidly at release.
This requires good balance and timing, as well as a relaxed grip/arm/shoulder, and free swing.

It's more or less akin to a bullwhip.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

snick wrote:I tend to think of this type of release in terms of "winding up" the hand position toward the inside of the ball as the ball descends into the release zone, then allowing gravity and inertia to unwind it rapidly at release.
This requires good balance and timing, as well as a relaxed grip/arm/shoulder, and free swing.

It's more or less akin to a bullwhip.
Well stated, good imagery. Recent analysis by Spigner in BJI tied grip pressure to RPMs,
Less pressure more RPMs more pressure less RPMs.
I used to cite yo-yo flick, or frisbee fling, quick, whip like as you described.

A word on the Spigner monthly analysis. His articles are available on a delayed basis on his website. Most recent article available is May.

https://www.billspigner.com/articles.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

His Bowlers digest articles are also there, but they are from a different era.
Bill is an elite instructor.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Axis tilt can be adjusted at address, get fingers more inside and place non bowling hand in front of ball. This may create more axis rotation too.

As for getting the track off the fingers Mo’s pitches work for some but not all. I prefer 3/4 - 1” reverse on both either conventional if you have flexible thin fingers or semi fingertip... no inserts. Laterals should be based on your anatomy. Keep the pin above a line from your ring finger to your PAP and choose pin to PAP distance to control flare.

Most times the key to a more “normal” track and some positive tilt is learning to release early enough and adjusting your timing to allow your release to “unwind”. As two handers we start our release with the hand way under the ball and it takes more time for the release to happen than for a not so strong hand position, that’s one of the reason I prefer a lot of reverse pitch. If the release takes too long and happens too much in front of you, your hand will have a natural tendency to release too much on the side of the ball, this creates a weird track and negative tilt...

Hope this helps.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
ineedhelp

Post by ineedhelp »

Thanks for the replies everyone. TonyPR, I have used 1" away with a conventional finger depth for a while but I'm now trying 1/4 forward in the MF and 5/8 away in the RF per Mo's recommendation. Track has not lowered. I have been trying finger tip as well as trying to circle the ball but I have not had any success. Perhaps I need to get out of the ball earlier.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

A video might help.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »