"Go study with them ... "

Questions about coaching?

Moderator: Moderators

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

"Go study with them ... "

Post by kajmk »

Hi folks, the subject title is based on a quote from a post by Gary Parsons.
In the "Coaching, taking it to the next level" thread.
The Correct Subject Title is ==> "Taking Coaching to the next lvl "
I'll correct that title as I'm paraphrasing since the exact title eludes me now..
As a wise person once quipped “As a recreational activity, aging is overrated".

"Go study with them. Watch WHAT they teach and HOW they teach."
Out of curiosity, does anyone know of coaches that do offer that option [for a fee of course].
Watching and being able to interact and get feedback with a master would seem to be a very valuable tool.
I’m a bit long in the 1 tooth I have left, but still curious.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: "Go study with them ... "

Post by guruU2 »

kajmk-
I know Dick Ritger and Bill Hall offers a certification programs. I am sure if you got with Rod Ross he would give a tutorial at the research center. Mo, Mark Baker, Fred Borden (or Jeri Edwards) and/or the Kegek coaching team, I am sure would open to this. Some of the older coaches such as John Jowdy may or may not be up to it.
Mo- are you open to doing this?
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Thanks for the information and taking the time to reply.
Much appreciated.
This is something that I've mulled over for years.
I don't know that I have what it takes, but one way to find out is to work with someone that does know.
I'm sure there are many things that I do not know I don't know, and some that I think I know but do not really know and so on ...

I've only recently visited this forum and the experience has been very positive.
Trying to pick a thing here and there to digest so to speak.

John
coolerman

Post by coolerman »

Funny you should bring this subject up.Just Sunday night i brought up the same
subject.At the time I was talking about the coach that has helped me the most
over the last ten years.

I said I would love to move to Texas so I could study more with Bill Hall.With that
said, every coach I have ever been to,never has had any problem with people watching
while they give lessons.

The list of coaches are:Dave Sill,Aleta Sill,Mark Robey,Tom Relich,Mo Pinel,
Fred Borden,Jeri Edwards,Bill Hall,Sean Klug,Michelle Mullen,and others.
And not one,I repeat,not one has ever told any onlookers to leave.
SomNerve

"Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality."
~ Nikola Tesla~
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Thanks for sharing.

BTW
A number of years ago, I had the opportunity to meet and watch Ron Clifton work with 2 bowlers of vastly disparate levels in the Phoenix Az. area. I watched and listened, and tried to stay out of the way and ask a question here and there.
The most lasting impression I got was that aside from Ron's coaching prowess, he is an empathetic and caring individual. One of the bowlers was not "getting it" according to Ron in his opinion.
Ron stayed well after official session had ended until the guy “he got it”.

John
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

kajmk wrote:Hi folks, the subject title is based on a quote from a post by Gary Parsons.
In the "Coaching, taking it to the next level" thread.
The Correct Subject Title is ==> "Taking Coaching to the next lvl "
I'll correct that title as I'm paraphrasing since the exact title eludes me now..
As a wise person once quipped “As a recreational activity, aging is overrated".

"Go study with them. Watch WHAT they teach and HOW they teach."
Out of curiosity, does anyone know of coaches that do offer that option [for a fee of course].
Watching and being able to interact and get feedback with a master would seem to be a very valuable tool.
I’m a bit long in the 1 tooth I have left, but still curious.
Jim is letting us watch. If we don't understand everything he is teaching, we should order the See It Feel It Do It from Morich Home Page. That should help us to keep up. Thanks to Jim for being here. And Everyone else we can learn from.
Graaille

Post by Graaille »

I can second the recommendations about Ron C. He actually lives about 15 minutes away from me, and is co-owner of Creekside Lanes where I usually practice at. He hosts "The Gathering", a summer weekend of bowlers from various websites who come together and have a great time. During that weekend, it's nothing for him to take 5-10 minutes and watch any of the participants bowl, and he'll make suggestions and discuss why he's making those suggestions.

I also got the opportunity one Sat afternoon to completely pick his brain one on one. I'd just finished practicing a few lanes over, and he had gone to the last lane of the house, and had started putting about a dozen bowling balls on the lane to show ball motion in a low tech stop frame sort of way. So I wandered over and offered to help him set up his demonstration. As we set things up and shot some video for a masterclass he was teaching the next weekend somewhere in the US, we started talking - and he just said, "Go ahead, ask away. I need to have practice fielding any and all potential questions that may come up." Of course, it was the one time I didn't have pad/paper or a tape recorder with me to make notes, so I've forgotten most of what was said -- but the point being that at least he didn't/doesn't have any problem with people watching him give a lesson. (As long as you don't signifigantly interfere with the paying student's lesson of course.)
Back into Blogging: http://lifeasjasonharris.blogspot.com/ 80% Bowling, 100% me. (oh hold while working on several other projects -- sorry)

The Gathering 2k16, Winston Salem, NC, July 29-31. Just ask me for more info.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

guruU2 wrote:kajmk-
I know Dick Ritger and Bill Hall offers a certification programs. I am sure if you got with Rod Ross he would give a tutorial at the research center. Mo, Mark Baker, Fred Borden (or Jeri Edwards) and/or the Kegek coaching team, I am sure would open to this. Some of the older coaches such as John Jowdy may or may not be up to it.
Mo- are you open to doing this?
ABSOLUTELY! Thanks.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

For what it is worth, I bought Mo's book quite a while ago. Back when I was somewhat active in some bowling forums, I often suggested his book ( and a few others )via post and PM.
I've tried to sponge up all of the printed word I could lay my eyes on.
I won't list them all but the vintage varies widely.
Next on my list is Bill Hall's DVD, I was delighted to find out it existed.
I've a few binder's I've created consisting of articles, notes et al.

It's easy to do some harm when good is the intent though, I try to keep that in mind.
Take care y'all
To the person that lives near Ron C, if you do see him again, say Hello from John in the Phoenix Az area ( the guy that watched him work with some students at Thunderbird lanes (now an empty shell by the way) a few years ago.

John