Need some drill ideas to help this release

Questions about coaching?

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Posts: 466
Joined: March 13th, 2014, 5:33 am
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

Need some drill ideas to help this release

Post by Mongo » November 16th, 2018, 7:27 pm

One of the girls on my high school team has a lot of promise, but her release is a borderline UFO.

[youtube][/youtube]

I've got that bump in her downswing fixed (she was pulling it off the top), but the release is a spinner deluxe.

We've done more foul line drills than I care to mention. I've tried the underhand football drill (throw spirals underhanded). I've tried having her go dead up the back of it so that her palm is facing the ceiling. I've had her throw backup balls.

No change.

She more than strong enough, is a better than average spare shooter, and has a sense of the game, but her ball roll is killing any chance of improving.

I could use a fresh set of eyes and ideas.
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.

User avatar
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Posts: 3451
Joined: October 25th, 2010, 11:41 pm
Location: Sun City Arizona

Re: Need some drill ideas to help this release

Post by kajmk » November 17th, 2018, 7:41 am

So she understands the concepts and executes the drills (without spinning), but when going live, she reverts to spinsville??

Referring to Coach Schockley's videos

How about reinforcing the hand and wrist position and motion using the props and a mirror so she can see herself? Don't forget the arm tape. The tape is similar to a bandage after a blood draw. Mental cue, give blood to the pins ...

[youtube][/youtube]

Then use a ball
Using a partner to catch and return :
Rolling on a carpet to start, later on rolling on the approach

[youtube][/youtube]



Sometimes using a wrist device as a training tool can work.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so

There should be a rule of war saying you have to see someone up close and get to know 'em before it's ok to shoot 'em

Empathize

John

TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Posts: 1293
Joined: December 14th, 2014, 3:08 am
Preferred Company: Radical
Location: San Juan, PR

Re: Need some drill ideas to help this release

Post by TonyPR » November 18th, 2018, 5:42 pm

Ball ends up too far away from ankle at release. Practice having the ball under head at all times from address to release but before this do the foul line drill with a little variation: use a super light house ball, as light as you can find and have her do the foul line release drill, ball under head releasing close to ankle but here’s the catch, don’t insert any fingers on the ball so that she is forced to have her hand under the ball. Practice releasing like this through the ball. She will learn how a strong release will feel.

Clarification on the light house ball drill: don’t insert fingers or thumb, palm the ball and keep the hand under it or you’ll drop it. This drill also works great as a ball start drill. Thank you for the heads up kajmk

User avatar
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Posts: 466
Joined: March 13th, 2014, 5:33 am
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

Re: Need some drill ideas to help this release

Post by Mongo » November 20th, 2018, 12:28 pm

TonyPR wrote:Ball ends up too far away from ankle at release. Practice having the ball under head at all times from address to release but before this do the foul line drill with a little variation: use a super light house ball, as light as you can find and have her do the foul line release drill, ball under head releasing close to ankle but here’s the catch, don’t insert any fingers on the ball so that she is forced to have her hand under the ball. Practice releasing like this through the ball. She will learn how a strong release will feel.

Clarification on the light house ball drill: don’t insert fingers or thumb, palm the ball and keep the hand under it or you’ll drop it. This drill also works great as a ball start drill. Thank you for the heads up kajmk
Great idea. I've got a 6 lb. ball I bought strictly for things like this....and totally forgot about.
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.

User avatar
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Posts: 3451
Joined: October 25th, 2010, 11:41 pm
Location: Sun City Arizona

Re: Need some drill ideas to help this release

Post by kajmk » November 23rd, 2018, 3:55 pm

Hi there ...

Thumb in or out for this drill?
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so

There should be a rule of war saying you have to see someone up close and get to know 'em before it's ok to shoot 'em

Empathize

John

TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Posts: 1293
Joined: December 14th, 2014, 3:08 am
Preferred Company: Radical
Location: San Juan, PR

Re: Need some drill ideas to help this release

Post by TonyPR » November 26th, 2018, 5:53 pm

Hello kajmk, I edited my reply above. Thumb out, fingers out.

User avatar
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Posts: 3451
Joined: October 25th, 2010, 11:41 pm
Location: Sun City Arizona

Re: Need some drill ideas to help this release

Post by kajmk » November 26th, 2018, 11:58 pm

TonyPR wrote:Hello kajmk, I edited my reply above. Thumb out, fingers out.
Thanks Tony.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so

There should be a rule of war saying you have to see someone up close and get to know 'em before it's ok to shoot 'em

Empathize

John

Post Reply