Questions about coaching?

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Re: Krava's path to Success commentary

Post by krava »

I think Jim has given me more then enough for me to get this done. There are things that I have to work on in order to do this. This that I didn't know of was the left foot going over the right foot at the end and not just straight up. I am going to have to go back to the gym to work on that knee bend or something. I am in very poor shape but should be in decent shape if I can do the gym good for the next 2 months. I haven't ever had any knee issues or back issues (had the back hurt before when doing these drills or atleast I think the side muscles whatever you call them on the lower back.

Today my knee started hurting in the 2nd frame. I would have stopped at the end of the game but they don't do refunds and I bought 3 games. next time I am buying 1 game at a time. My knee is fine right now and back is fine.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; No ball 1 step drill
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Foul line drill (had to stop after 3 frames or so due to knees)
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; back view (had to use the table forgot the bag)
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (side view)

this was bad practice since I was hurt pretty bad trying this out. I can hold the ball in the backswing a second or two you can see in the back view section a few minutes in.
also did 1 frame at the end of the side view where I did the whole approach. Timeing is so bad, ball is thrown and feet are still slideing.

lets take a 2 month pause on this. This will give me time to get in better physical shape. I will be trying this in the meantime and work on the timing. Left foot should stop and my ball should be about a foot or two feet away from the front foot in the swing when that happens. I don't think I am phycially possible to do any better at this time. I know everything to work on right now though and I think I have what I need to do this just not able to do it in this condition. My weight I believe is like 308, I should be around 265-270 in 2 months lets see and a whole long stronger condition.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

When athletes are hurt, they rest and rehab.
If you practice when hurt, you also run the risk of developing bad habits !
Tom Petty said "the waiting is the hardest part".
You don't necessarily need a gym or equipment to workout.
REMEMBER THE ROCKY MOVIE WHERE HE TRAINED IN RUSSIA!
Your health and well being is the most important thing you have.
The pounds come on 1 at a time and go off the same way.
I've never been 300+ but have been 250 or so and I'm barely 5'8"

As a teen I started jogging up and down our 1 flight of stairs with a pile of encyclopedia books tucked under each arm. Also drastically cut my food intake (unwise). Also found bodyweight and isometric exercises in my mother's medical encyclopedia.
I just got tired of myself as I was.

Years ago a co-worker (40+) and I (50+) started a routine of going up and down the steps in the University Basketball Arena. He said he was pushing 400! He is about 6'0" or so, big boned.
I was 230+ We did that at least 3 days a week, each at our own pace. Got addicted to it, not saying this is for you, but you will find something you enjoy.
MOTIVATION leads to RESULTS !

Be smart about this progressing gradually!!!!

Find some good resources that resonate with you.
Trainers and coaches are expensive and we all have budgets, consider your options!
Your health and happiness are two of your most precious possessions.
You are a YOUNG man.

One more story, I know a guy who was among the best bowler's in the state.
He also was a very big man, bigger than you. He decided to lose weight.
Went from 320+ to less than 210. To this date, he has kept it off.
It is a lifestyle change.

I hope you will make the choices that give you a long, healthy, happy life.
Oh, and make you the bowler you seek to be.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

krava wrote:I think Jim has given me more then enough for me to get this done. There are things that I have to work on in order to do this. This that I didn't know of was the left foot going over the right foot at the end and not just straight up. I am going to have to go back to the gym to work on that knee bend or something. I am in very poor shape but should be in decent shape if I can do the gym good for the next 2 months. I haven't ever had any knee issues or back issues (had the back hurt before when doing these drills or at least I think the side muscles whatever you call them on the lower back.

lets take a 2 month pause on this. This will give me time to get in better physical shape.
I seem to recall you've paid for in person lessons from some high profile people, sorry they didn't point out the role of the slide foot.

Also, let me apologize for not highlighting this earlier in our journey.

Bowling like other sports requires that we be in our best physical shape to preform at high levels.
Congrats to you for deciding to lose weight, definitely a step in the right direction for improving the quality of your life on and off the lanes!

You can work on the knee bend at home by doing leg lunge exercises. [youtube][/youtube]
When doing the exercise do not let the trail leg knee go down and touch the floor!
Notice the similarity of the Lunge Drill and Daria's leg positions during the slide.

I just purchased several mirrors (15.5" X 51.5" over the door mirror) for summer camp at Lowe's. ($21.00)

You can work on your Swing & Slide Drill in front of a mirror at home.

Review of Swing & Slide Drill No Ball

1) From slide 1 through slide 5 every thing looks good.
2) In particular notice from Slide 4 to Slide 5 how your right arm moves to the left before starting down. This is referred to as a Tuck move. EXCELLENT
3) In slide six as the arm continues it's downward movement the arm moves away fro the body. Not Good.
4) In slide 7, I believe you have too much lateral spine tilt right. This much lateral tilt will pull the ball away from your ankle. The yellow line define what I see as a more natural tilt.

Game Plan
1) Work on weight loss.
2) Leg lunges to improve your knee bend (finish position at foul line) and strengthen your quad muscles. Build up reps slowly (recommend 3 time a week) as you will definitely feel it in your quads the next day the first few times.
3) Get a mirror and spend a half hour each day/ 5 days a week working on improving your downswing
direction doing the Swing and Slide Drill. You can do this drill on carpet, just walk instead of sliding.

Be dedicated the next couple of months to the weight loss and items 1 -3 above.

Perhaps, I'll see the new you at the "Summer Camp".
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All the best,
Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

Jim thanks again for all the help and please help the others as I have taken more then my fair share of time with you. I want you to know that you aren't "wasting" your time with me as I do have some potential. There hasn't been 1 300 or 800 shot this year at our bowling center that I know of. Monday shot 259 last game with 10/12 strikes, pulled one shot left 1 shot to the right. Today left a solid 10 in the 3rd and missed (11/12 strikes that game) . Then could have had the first 8 in 2nd game or so but left more solid 10's. Transistion and shoulder pain got me in the 3rd game. Moving the left foot over the right foot helps a lot.

http://www.syncpassport.com/MyScores/Sc ... 8d82012a68" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Diet started today and all is good, didn't go to the gym after bowling because left knee slightly hurts and shoulder has moderate pain and no bowling for a week and a half before of that.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I have a quick question, I don't know if you have time to answer if not I can post in the ball section or something.

My balls are suppose to be all drilled the same. I have been having problems coming out of 2 of them, because it was pulling at the inside of the right part of the thumb. The thumb pitch I believe was 1/4 that I am used to. The others are drilled 1/8 and 1 is drilled 0 and I can still come out of it. I had the ball that was a 1/4 reslugged and drilled to be 1/8. Today I got it back, the hole feels a little coarser then what I am used to (I have everything with slugs). The hole might be just a little little tad tight but I could still get in and out of it good. I threw the ball about 6 times and it tore like probably 2 layers of my skin off my middle of the thumb on the left side. I have never ever had other ball ever hurt that part of my thumb. I put 2 layers of new skin on the thing and it ripped all the new skin off in 1 throw.

https://ibb.co/S5hpt67" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

is pic of thumb wound. I wasn't turning the ball early or gripping it. I got 2 X after that wound and could barely hold the ball. Also any ideas how to get that thing healed faster?. I shouldn't ever changed PSO's but mine is 200 miles away.
imagonman
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by imagonman »

You might wanna look into ProEdge Custom Thumb. Norm Duke {MR. fidget w/ the thumb constantly} just did & went back to back'ers @ 55 & in the money a lot lately. Worth a look, contact Tom Laskow below:

https://www.proedgebowling.com/store1/C ... -p88522610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

Sounds to me like the hole wasn't sanded smooth enough and/or the bevel wasn't right. Take it back and make them fix it. For an injury like yours the best thing is to not bowl until it heals, but you're probably not going to do that. Put down a layer of New Skin then lay a little cotton over it and put down a second layer of New Skin on top of the cotton. LET IT DRY COMPLETELY, I suggest at least 20 - 30 minutes. Trim any loose edges of the cotton. Don't try that ball again until your PSO gets it right. -- John
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

JohnP wrote:Sounds to me like the hole wasn't sanded smooth enough and/or the bevel wasn't right. Take it back and make them fix it. For an injury like yours the best thing is to not bowl until it heals, but you're probably not going to do that. Put down a layer of New Skin then lay a little cotton over it and put down a second layer of New Skin on top of the cotton. LET IT DRY COMPLETELY, I suggest at least 20 - 30 minutes. Trim any loose edges of the cotton. Don't try that ball again until your PSO gets it right. -- John

Golden advice!

krava, bowling obviously means a lot to you, but there is a time to sit out and recover.
You'd probably be a good man in a contact sport no doubt.

[youtube][/youtube]
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John