Swing Direction

Questions about coaching?

Moderator: Moderators

pjape

Swing Direction

Post by pjape »

I finally got around to working on my footwork this afternoon. I put some painters tape on the approach, and worked without the ball at first and looking down at my feet. The biggest issue I have is sliding too far to the left. When I slide on the correct board, it feels very weird. Repetition will obviously change this.

After doing that for a while, I used a ball, while still looking down at my feet. I was sliding on 15 and trying to throw the ball straight up ten. What I found on most shots was even when I hit ten at the arrows, the ball path was more right to left, instead of straight up ten. My break-point was WAY too far left. I was throwing plastic on the Kegel Broadway pattern, so I know the ball wasn't hooking early.

It's obvious that my shoulders are way too closed at release. What I'm wondering is, what might I be doing wrong that's causing this? For a long time, I would blame my footwork, but even when my footwork is correct, as it was easy to see today, I'm still having this issue. Even shots where I'd have perfect balance, I'd still have that blasted right to left ball path. When I was at the Kegel Road Show in April, even though I was pretty consistent (launch angle was pro level), I still wasn't getting my ball as much to the right as I wanted.

Ideas?
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Swing Direction

Post by kajmk »

Hi pjape.
Are you bowling with right or left hand?

Going out on a limb here ...

Shooting in the dark here, one possible suspect, use of opposite arm.
Pictures would help you and us.

Read Jim Merrell's reply in this topic post #7
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12556" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is a 5 board ball lay down distance from the edge of your shoe normal for you no matter your launch angle.

As I said, shot in the dark.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
pjape

Post by pjape »

kajmk wrote:Hi pjape.
Are you bowling with right or left hand?

Going out on a limb here ...

Shooting in the dark here, one possible suspect, use of opposite arm.
Pictures would help you and us.

Read Jim Merrell's reply in this topic post #7
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12556" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is a 5 board ball lay down distance from the edge of your shoe normal for you no matter your launch angle.

As I said, shot in the dark.
Thanks John. No, a 5 board lay down distance is not normal for me. For years I was 7 boards. I got the five board distance from Del Warren when I worked with him in April. I thought he was nuts at first, but then I did an experiment. I put a ball on the thumb hole, on the approach, right on the ten board, then positioned my slide foot (left) as close as I could without hitting my ankle. Lo and behold, the right edge of my left foot was on board 15. I thought, "wow, Del is right (of course!)." Regardless of the distance, I've never broken the habit of my slide foot going straight, not "filling the hole" as the old timers would put it.

As soon as supper is ready, I'm going to re-watch the video you posted. I did watch it before, but I don't really remember much, so some review is in order.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

[youtube][/youtube]Remember Feel isn’t real……to much guesswork without video for validation.

If you are sliding on fifteen and hitting ten at the arrows but your ball path is right to left. Then your laydown point off the hand is probably right of ten. (video required)

If you are sliding on fifteen and hitting ten at the arrows I can’t imagine your shoulders being closed.

Closed shoulders would create an out to in downswing path, a right to left ball path. But you couldn’t slide on fifteen and hit ten at the arrows unless the ball was 7/8 boards right of your slide foot.

Keeping the non-bowling arm out front with the thumb pointed downward creates tension in the non-bowling shoulder. The theory being this tension in the non-bowling shoulder helps keep leverage in our release.

Educational moment: I have always heard keep the non-bowling arm extended out front with the thumb pointed down. Wanting to know the reasoning behind this technique, I received this explanation from my physical therapist.

The non-bowling arm out front with the thumb pointing down is known as the closed-pack position.

In the closed-pack position the muscles and tendons are in a contracted state, thus creating tension in the shoulder. I now feel better about telling my students why I am telling them to put the non-bowling arm in that posiproblem-solvingb]

So back to problem-solving your issue:

I would start by doing the foul line drill (see attachment). Position your slide foot on fifteen, only swing back and forth at a pace that allows your body to remain static. Let us know if your plastic ball rolls straight down ten with this drill. In the attachment, she is targeting around fifteen playing left to right. But her hips and shoulders are perpendicular to her line of play, very important if the ball is to be released five boards right of the slide foot.

If this drill solves your problem, I’d suggest you then practice the Swing and Slide Drill before moving onto a full approach. A video is needed, but with the Swing and Slide drill, your finish position at the foul line position must mimic the body position of your body in the foul line drill.

[youtube][/youtube]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
pjape

Post by pjape »

Thanks Jim. I plan on practicing today, so I'll do both the foul line drill and the swing and slide. It will be interesting to see the results. I think I'll also take my camera along. I do suspect that I do have a right to left ball path. If so, video will confirm this. I'll post my results later.