Taking Coaching to the next lvl

Questions about coaching?

Moderator: Moderators

xxxphins
Preferred Company: Storm

Taking Coaching to the next lvl

Post by xxxphins »

I've been a volunteer coach this year for our USBC youth league. I must say I've really enjoyed doing this. Yes there are some kids that don't want help and most kids just get dropped off (I think some parents see the youth league as $7 babysitting service) but I have 3 kids thats making this worth it all. Now I've even been appoarched by some newer bowlers in the adult leagues. I'm already going back to school next semester and thinking about trying to make a living by coaching and maybe running a proshop or something along those lines. I'm not trying to get rich I just want to make a living doing something i love. There isn't a certified coach with in 100 miles according to the USBC. So there may be a large market. Now I know I need to start with the working on the USBC Bronze coaching certification, but I was looking at the majors to go along with that and from what I read most coaches have a business mangement degree, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some more advise on persuing my dream???
Virtual Gravityy
Virtual Energy
Reign
Hy-Road
T-Road Pearl
Natural
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Re: Taking Coaching to the next lvl

Post by Mo Pinel »

xxxphins wrote:I've been a volunteer coach this year for our USBC youth league. I must say I've really enjoyed doing this. Yes there are some kids that don't want help and most kids just get dropped off (I think some parents see the youth league as $7 babysitting service) but I have 3 kids thats making this worth it all. Now I've even been appoarched by some newer bowlers in the adult leagues. I'm already going back to school next semester and thinking about trying to make a living by coaching and maybe running a proshop or something along those lines. I'm not trying to get rich I just want to make a living doing something i love. There isn't a certified coach with in 100 miles according to the USBC. So there may be a large market. Now I know I need to start with the working on the USBC Bronze coaching certification, but I was looking at the majors to go along with that and from what I read most coaches have a business mangement degree, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some more advise on persuing my dream???
Jim, your area of expertise.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
MattInTheHat
THS Average: 201
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 -> 15/16 ^
Speed: 17-17.5 off hand
Rev Rate: 270
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: TR2
Medium Oil Ball: QZ1 / TX1
Light Oil Ball: RX1
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by MattInTheHat »

Jim is the man when it comes to coaching, I'm sure he will have some great advice (I look forward to reading it too!).

I would suggest besides coaching classes take a sociology and or psychology class. Bowling is a very psychological game, when a person is bowling they are competing against their harshest critic...him or her self. It is easy to over analyze everything you do, and easy to think too much about what you are going to do, and without a strong mental game you won't be able to look past all of that and focus on just performing. I know a number of very good bowlers who could be bowling so much better if they simply wouldn't get as upset as they do when things start going wrong. Some bowlers even use this as a tactic, once they plant a thought or fear inside some one's head that person isn't as likely to perform at their best, so a strong mental game can help avoid / overcome this.

I took both of those classes in college and while it was before I really knew how psychological bowling is, I still like to think that those classes help me to stay calm and realize that there are more important things to worry about then a missed spare. That's not to say I don't still get excited when doing well or frustrated when struggling, but how you react to those feelings is a choice, and having a good mental game will help you make the right choice. I will admit though I sometimes still over analyze things...that's just my slightly ocd nature!

Also learn all you can about ball dynamics, layouts, and fit. These are discussed in the bronze class but not in a lot of depth, so learning more about those in a pro shop or a pro shop training class (or on this website!) will give you a step up on the info in the bronze class. Dynamics and layouts you can learn through reading, but I think fitting is something you really need to see to fully understand.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

MattInTheHat wrote:Jim is the man when it comes to coaching, I'm sure he will have some great advice (I look forward to reading it too!).

I would suggest besides coaching classes take a sociology and or psychology class. Bowling is a very psychological game, when a person is bowling they are competing against their harshest critic...him or her self. It is easy to over analyze everything you do, and easy to think too much about what you are going to do, and without a strong mental game you won't be able to look past all of that and focus on just performing. I know a number of very good bowlers who could be bowling so much better if they simply wouldn't get as upset as they do when things start going wrong. Some bowlers even use this as a tactic, once they plant a thought or fear inside some one's head that person isn't as likely to perform at their best, so a strong mental game can help avoid / overcome this.

I took both of those classes in college and while it was before I really knew how psychological bowling is, I still like to think that those classes help me to stay calm and realize that there are more important things to worry about then a missed spare. That's not to say I don't still get excited when doing well or frustrated when struggling, but how you react to those feelings is a choice, and having a good mental game will help you make the right choice. I will admit though I sometimes still over analyze things...that's just my slightly ocd nature!

Also learn all you can about ball dynamics, layouts, and fit. These are discussed in the bronze class but not in a lot of depth, so learning more about those in a pro shop or a pro shop training class (or on this website!) will give you a step up on the info in the bronze class. Dynamics and layouts you can learn through reading, but I think fitting is something you really need to see to fully understand.

VERY THOROUGH AND ACCURATE ANSWER! Thanks.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

xxxphins commented: I must say I've really enjoyed doing this.

There are three important elements to a successful coaching career:
ENJOYMENT, ENJOYMENT, ENJOYMENT!

Making a living at coaching / pro shop is feasible but must be driven by passion and the enjoyment of "Loving it when a plan comes together."* :mrgreen:

Learn to be humble and grow thick skin because the world is full of naysayers.
Believe in what you do but celebrate successes privately.
Do not boast " I coached so and so", no one wants to hear it or listen anyway.

My students successes are between them and myself.
We more than anyone know the time, effort and knowledge that we have been lucky to
share together.

If you become good at what you do, others will seek you out.
Always be well prepared and dressed appropiately for a lesson, clinic, etc.
Being a role model comes with the job - no choice.

Learn to listen, listen, listen.
If you don't know the answer be honest and say so. But explain that you will find out and get back to them. Don't try to fake it.

Everyone's game has merit, emphasize the good and build on it.
Teach them to always take something positive from their experiences.
Remember, they are like sponges and adapt very well to change.

Not sure about the B.S. part. I'm sure there are those who think I have a lot of B.S.
Some colleges require a degree, standard operating procedure for a staff position.

Hope I've answered some of your questions, I admire your passion.
Please feel free to p.m me at anytime.

Jim

* Mo Pinel
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
xxxphins
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by xxxphins »

Ty so much for your replies. Great advise, I really didn't think about sociology and or psychology class. Thats a very good idea. Also the being prepared and dressed appropiately part. Being prepared, I guess I'll learn more with the USBC classes for that part, but I guess I should get out of my Shorts and T shirts..lol..and I found out already about the "thick skin" lol when I told my mom about my plans, just the look I got was enough. But once again ty for all of your replies and I may have just found my new favorite bowling site.
Virtual Gravityy
Virtual Energy
Reign
Hy-Road
T-Road Pearl
Natural
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

I want to give what I feel is a realistic perspective. Unless you are in a densely populated area and become very, very, VERY good at what you would like to do it's not going to be realistic to expect to make a decent living for your family coaching bowling and running a pro shop.

That doesn't mean you can't do both, but choose your education in a field that can provide your primary income, and coach and/or do pro shop work on the side. For examples, teaching, accounting, engineering, business administration. Then by all means, in your spare time get involved coaching the youth at local bowling centers and find a pro shop that will let you work a schedule around your primary job.

Just my opinion. -- JohnP
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

JohnP wrote:...but choose your education in a field that can provide your primary income, and coach and/or do pro shop work on the side.
Solid advice John.
It takes a very special situation to make bowling your primary income.
coolerman

Post by coolerman »

Either my response to the harshest critic part ,being the overbearing
and ignorant parents was deleted or I didn't post the reply.Whatever
the case it is a true statement.And if you have even seen a overbearing
parent demean their child while in sports then you will understand.

I have coached youth athletes for over 25 years,including youth bowlers
for over 15 years.As parents, it's critical that you think hard about whether you
expect too much from your young athlete. If you realize you do
expect too much, try to change your behavior.Because you are only hurting
the youth not helping.
SomNerve

"Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality."
~ Nikola Tesla~
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

Nothing showing deletion on my end, you possibly hit preview or someone posted something while you were composing. In that case it will have you review the new post before submitting.
coolerman

Post by coolerman »

Thanks MegaMav.That's what I think happened.Just wasn't sure.
SomNerve

"Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality."
~ Nikola Tesla~
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

xxxphins-
Let me take a crack at this. It appears you are young (college age). If you have a SERIOUS commitment to teaching the game then here is my recomendations.
Go to college and earn a degree with a double major: a business major will teach you the lanaguage of business and a certain degree of skills to solve business problems (can be applied to any aspect of the bowling business) and the second major is in the liberal arts (English, History, Philosophy, etc.)- this type will teach you an wholelistic analytical skill to solve problems from a unique methodology plus this type of major will teach you how to commuicate verbally and with the written word- very, very important.
In addition, STUDY the master coaches/instructors of bowling. Get the books the have written, CDs they have produce and DVDs/videos they have out. STUDY all of them and do a compare and contrast of the different perpectives they teach.
Go study with them. Watch WHAT the teach and HOW they teach. Get certified by them, Work with as many as you can. Since NOBODY has THE TRUTH, you will need to become your own conceptual and methodological man. DO NOT believe any one individual has THE TRUTH as you will need not to become a clone of anyone but your own man with your own authentic perspectives.
Get certified as this will inform your customers you have taken the time to learn and formally studied the material. Above all, be open to new learning as knowlege is open ended and is always developing .
I hope this helps and you can always PM me. Good luck. Bowling needs learners and commuicators.
-Gary Parsons
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
coolerman

Post by coolerman »

Well said Mr.Parsons.! Bravo.
SomNerve

~ Nikola Tesla~