Board index » Coaching Forums » Coaching Discussion

Post subject: Training for speed using different ball weights
 Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:04 am Post Number: #1 Post
Certified Coach

Reputation Power: 3
Hello, I have been bowling two handed recently and am commited to get good at it. One of the biggest hurdles I face is acheiving enough ball speed to match my rev rate. I have been working on my approach and delivery and it is progressing at a slow but steady pace. Today I was goofing off and bowled a couple of games with a 10 lbs house ball, just trying to loosen up my approach. It was no surprise I could easily throw the ball at around 17 - 18 mph monitor speed yet I did it smoothly and without forcing it much.

I thought that maybe it could be a good idea to practice with low weight house balls and progress a pound at a time until I can get to at least 14 lbs and 17 - 18 mph monitor speed. For example, next time I go practice I would use an 11 lbs and work with it on technique observing my speed until I can comfortably throw it at 17 - 18 mph. When I can do that, the next day I would try to do it with 12 lbs and so on.

Is this a good idea?

Post subject: Re: Training for speed using different ball weights
 Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:41 pm Post Number: #2 Post
BCU Graduate Layouts

Reputation Power: 3
I've never really looked at training programs for bowling but a I am very familiar with training for fastpitch softball.

Over-speed training with lighter balls is utilized in baseball and softball to enable the body to move faster and learn the muscle memory of how to produce higher speeds.
I would keep a 10 or 11 lb. ball in the workout until you see improvement at 14 lbs. Then as time goes on a 12 would be fine for over-speed drills and use a 15 and 16 lbs. for your weight training.

Over-weight training with heavier balls to build strength to go with the faster release. The heavy ball is thrown only at 80%. Top speed is only attempted with regulation weight and Lighter to reduce chances of injury.

I think these same principles could work for bowling as they do in softball and baseball.
Hey Coaches...what do you think?

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand

Board index » Coaching Forums » Coaching Discussion