Axis Rotation: 45º
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm CodeX
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Python
Light Oil Ball: Pitch Blue
Preferred Company: None

Correcting muscular swing

Post by 2y2 »

Hi Jim,

I had a discussion with another bowling coach of my bowling school about correcting a muscular and controlledd swing. I say the swing should be as free and gravity driven as possible, he on the other hand says that giving the bowler a hevier ball will solve the problem. In my opinion a hevier ball would only hide (a little) the effects of a muscular swing but if there's muscle with a lighter ball there will be muscle with a hevier one and the problem will just prevail, even worse, when the bowler gets used to the new weight musculing will be worse. I'd love to read your input and the way you correct this kind of problem, thank-you very much.

Jorge.
If you think I helped, please click on the "+" button, Thanks.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Correcting muscular swing

Post by kajmk »

Jorge, whether we like it or not, bowling is not a one size fits all sport.

During one of my USBC certifications, we did some one the lane work with volunteer subjects.
Palmer Falgren was our instructor. Palmers a former PBA champion, an accomplished coach, an wrote numerous articles for magazines including Bowling This Month.
One of the bowlers was a well muscled woman bowler. He drew our attention to how her shoulder musculature was not conducive to a free swing.

This video features two PBA pros neither of which fits a mold. Jeff Lizzi is heavily muscled, Ryan Shafer is not a smoothie either.

[youtube][/youtube]

Both are good enough to compete at the PBA level.

There was a Tom Kouros article using Jeff Lizzi as a subject.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4172" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The subject of ball weight boils down to what the bowler can effectively impart a quality release on a consistent basis.
A ball can be too light as well as too heavy. The fit of the ball is extremely important as a well fitted ball is handled easier. The fit is ideally assessed right after it is drilled and the bowler rolls a few in the shop.
The bowler has to trust the driller, sometimes the bowler does not know or already is a squeezer. The driller can't work with him too long if there are customers waiting.
Ball fit and letting it release itself from the hand should be lesson one or pretty close to one.

If we are talking about a petite woman or slender man, they are probably not going to succeed with muscled swings.

There are probably varying degrees of free or muscled swings. A big key is a relaxed grip, one where the bowler is not grabbing. A big key, is whatever they do, can they do it well and repeat it enough to succeed at the level of their choice.

When considering the way a bowler can achieve their potential, we have to factor in how they are built, their temperament, in short, who that bowler is. Coach Fred Borden used the term, match that bowler with their inner drum beat. A Hallmark of a top coach (and I am not one, I'm just a bowling enthusiast) is successfully obtaining that bowlers best on a consistent basis. That coach will determine what to fix and when. This is not to say they get it all done like flipping a switch, sometimes it might take time.

Admittedly, gravity is consistent and humans are not as consistent, but humans have muscle, tendons, and bones so "free" and "relaxed" will come in degrees.

Now I said, I'm not a top coach. I just certified upnto the Silver level, to see if I could do it. USBC does not really train or groom coaches. Some are born. What's really missing from their coaching program is a mentoring/apprenticeship program. I would have certainly welcomed the opportunity.

Passing tests is easy, what Jim does takes talent.

Be that as it may, I thought I'd get the ball rolling so to speak.

Also, in coaching analysys you might have several top coaches assess a bowler who might offer a different remedial list or sequence.

I would consider studying bowlers of similar stature.
Of course, one does not want to fix what is not broken.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
2y2
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8 and 3/8 over
Speed: 17 mph
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 10º
Axis Rotation: 45º
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm CodeX
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Python
Light Oil Ball: Pitch Blue
Preferred Company: None

Post by 2y2 »

Thank you for your comments John,

The thing here is wether or not using different weighed balls can correct a musculing problem, I understand your point but when musculing is a problem I think it will not dissapear just by changing the weight of a ball, a heavier ball will make for the bowler harder to deviate the swing by force, but it will not prevent him to exert that force, the problem is still there, isn't it?
If you think I helped, please click on the "+" button, Thanks.
ads
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Post by ads »

My personal experience of muscle swing. There are 2 common factors contribute to it.

1. The thumb hole is not "tight" enough to give me feeling of secure. When I start the swing, I unconsciously grasp the ball afraid of dropping. Fitting resolves the issue.

2. When my push away is out of sync with my 2nd step (5-step approach), there is a split of second where my balling arm will try to hold the the ball and resync the arm-foot coordination.
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Jorge, I did get your point about the weight.

Before I go on, here is one of probably many discussions on elements of the swing.
I'm including it as it may be useful to you and others.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5821" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The answer falls into an "it depends situation" in my opinion (and we all have opinions)

If you try to free swing a light object, for example an empty milk or water container that has a handle, contrast that with a container that is full. Try it with a quart size, then a half gallon.

If an object is TOO light and that is a relative term, it can be harder to let it fall.
There are some Ritger drills that might help prime the feeling.

Look at the ones using a partner
Ritger Cards.JPG
One can also conduct experiments using light dumbells and progressing up the weights.

Also submitted for perusal
Kouros - The Pendulum and the Pits.jpg
There are other variables that influence the swing, for example use of the other hand to support most of the weight in the stance and when and how to deliver it to the bowling hand.
This is an old concept, but Norm Duke covers it in his dvd, you can also see it for frre on one of the NEXTLEVELBOWLING youtube videos. Jason Couch a premier power player used this method and wrote an article or two on it.
The way we place the ball into the swing.

For a possible swing aid tool, look at the Contigo product or something like it.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10843&hilit=poor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many things can be learned or deduced by your own experimentation and creativity, then try you ideas on others without telling them your expectations.
I found the use of that Contigo bottle told me certain things when I let it swing and when I applied acceleration, force, or turn.

In experiments always proceed with caution, have safety in mind.
When weight is concerned use light first.
Where balance is concerned proceed from the slow.
Proceed from the simple to the complex adding variables as you go along.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John