Should I Take Notes

Questions about coaching?

Moderator: Moderators

TravisTainter

Should I Take Notes

Post by TravisTainter »

Hello everyone. Something that has had me wondering for a while now is note taking. Should I take notes while bowling and if so, then what should the notes be about? Thank you for the help!
Viper
THS Average: 199
Sport Average: 172
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/2 up
Speed: 15 at the foul line
Rev Rate: 315
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 45
Medium Oil Ball: 14 lbs. Hammer Raw Orange/Black Hybrid

Re: Should I Take Notes

Post by Viper »

I take notes. I use a special sheet that I cobbled together myself by which I track pinfall for each frame of a 3-game series. E-mail me and I will send you a copy (pdf). I have sufficient space to record notes for each frame. Primarily, I note the house, league, date, pair, and outside weather condtions (more humidity, more hook). I am left-handed so I also note how many other LHs are bowling with me on that pair. I note the balls I am using (and when), their coverstock finish, and the thumbslug I am using (I have two sizes). As the series begins I note where I stand, where I target and where I focus. And my speed off the monitor. Of course, results--reasons for either not striking or missing the conversion. I think ahead and if I need to move the next time I am on that lane I note what I need to do as soon as I come off the lane. Because league can be a slow and social process, without my notes, I am prone to forget from frame to frame what I need to do. There can be historical benefits for taking the notes but I try not to put much emphasis on it since I have to respond to what the lanes are telling me for that particular frame/game. But for houses that I bowl at infrequently (tournaments for example), the historical perspective comes in handy. At the end, I note things I may need to work on at next practice. That's about it. It's not for everyone but it works for me.
Left-handed
PAP 5 x 1/2 up
Tilt: 15*
Rot: 45*
Rev: 315
Speed: 15 at the camera
TravisTainter

Re: Should I Take Notes

Post by TravisTainter »

Thank you so much. I'll email you right now.