Getting The Ball Down!!!

Questions about coaching?

Moderator: Moderators

MotivatedStormBowler
Preferred Company: Motiv/Storm

Getting The Ball Down!!!

Post by MotivatedStormBowler »

Hello i am having trouble with lofting the ball out to far instead of getting it down close to the line. I like the reaction and tracking that i am getting out of the ball but on longer patterns i dont need the extra push downlane. If anybody has any tips or drills that i might be able to do to help. Please let me know. Your Help is very much appreciated.

P.S- I am lofting it a long ways.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Getting The Ball Down!!!

Post by JMerrell »

Welcome to the site.

The Certified Coaching Forum requires video for accurate analysis, otherwise we're just guessing what's going on in your physical game.

I moved your post to the Coaching Discussion Forum for input from other members.

Typically, when I see people lofting the ball out onto the lane the ball is released well past the bottom of the swing arc. (See 'A' versus 'B' attached below)

This can be the result of a myriad of things......bad fit, standing up through the release, too much grip pressure, etc.

Fixing it usually starts with a good fit, proper use of tape to maintain constant grip pressure from day to day, etc.

If you feel this analysis has value........click the green button.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
kart300
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by kart300 »

hi,
loft is not your enemy, it is speed on the longer patterns!!
if you put your ball down earlier on the longer patterns it will pick up more oil in the heads....and slide further unless they have burned up and its later in the day/squad. However in that case just play the "ball track" area.
Look at the Finnish bowler Mika K, his loft is half way to the arrows...and misses lots of the head oil.
regards
Rob
Revs ~350 Tilt ~16* Speed 17-18 off the hand Rotation 30-75
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

Have your ball fit checked by a competent PSO. You need to eliminate the possibility that you are squeezing the ball as it enters the release zone and "hitting up on the ball" at release.
The delivery should be a downward and outward motion along your target line; never upward.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

A few tidbits. Jim Merrell has probably forgotten more than I think I know.
If you submit a video using the wiki tip on video for analysis, I'll bet the ranch he nails it.
As Jim said, there are a bunch of reasons for the problem you wrote of.
If you GUESS wrong, you'll be chasing your tail.
Many times the athletes perception of what and when he is doing something is a distortion of reality.
On loft, there is a correct and an incorrect way to use that tool, but when you are getting a loft like affect unintentionally then something or things in the chain of events is wrong for you.

This is a general comment:
Next point, if Jim received a green plus for every time her helped a poster or reader, he'd be in the thousands.
The man ALWAYS adds value.i
On the forum we have our Gehrig and Ruth, Jim is one of them, Mo is the other.
My parents taught me to say please and thank you.
Don't forget to thank folks if they help.
If you simply weigh his points versus posts and are familiar with the quality he adds, it is a fait accompli he is vastly underated.

There are a number of others whos ratings surprise me by how low they are.
Remember, the green plus is for value. This can be helping you or helping others.

Please excuse me, evidently I've overdosed on cranky pills today.

Having ranted, I bid you a clean set and some honor scores.

Cheers.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
ads
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Post by ads »

snick wrote:Have your ball fit checked by a competent PSO. You need to eliminate the possibility that you are squeezing the ball as it enters the release zone and "hitting up on the ball" at release.
The delivery should be a downward and outward motion along your target line; never upward.

Thanks.
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*
spr3wr
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by spr3wr »

MotivatedStormBowler wrote:Hello i am having trouble with lofting the ball out to far instead of getting it down close to the line. I like the reaction and tracking that i am getting out of the ball but on longer patterns i dont need the extra push downlane. If anybody has any tips or drills that i might be able to do to help. Please let me know. Your Help is very much appreciated.

P.S- I am lofting it a long ways.
Place a towel about 2 feet past the foul line (ask the bowling center if its OK). The drill is to have the ball land on the towel. This means you have to relax/let go of the ball earlier for this to happens. You have to FEEL what your doing at the release point (grabbing/squeezing) then make changes. Don't slow down the swing when doing this.
If you want the ball to land closer to the foul line then move the towel closer.
None active - USBC Bronze level coach
Dick Ritger level 1 coach
2 300 games
1 800 series
High average 223
Coaching with pros in clinics since 2004