Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/2 up
Speed: 14 to 15 on score display
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 18
Axis Rotation: 45
Preferred Company: Storm, Pyramid & Brunswick

Left Eye - Right Eye dominance

Post by Linknblue »

Curious. I'm right handed and left eye dominate. Would my set up be different that if I was right eye dominate? Is there really a difference in how you set up?
John H. in Lincoln, CA
PAP =5 over and 1/2" up
Rev Rate = 275
Speed = 14 - 15 on monitor
Axis Rotation = 55 degrees
Axis tilt = 18 degrees
Average = 215 house & 200 sport
55 years of bowling = old guy trying to keep up
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Left Eye - Right Eye dominance

Post by JMerrell »

Linknblue wrote:Curious. I'm right handed and left eye dominate. Would my set up be different that if I was right eye dominate? No Is there really a difference in how you set up? Not based on eye dominance
I am going to move your post to the Coaching Discussion Forum so you can respond easier.

Left or right eye dominance is like worrying about the side weight in a bowling ball. Neither will change your score…..just cloud your focus.

Re-read my previous response to your post on missing the target.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10520" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Post #2)

Again, are you closer to Bowler A or B?

This set-up should get you closer to Bowler A
1) Set-up with your head positioned over the outside of the non-slide foot.
2) Position the ball under your head and maintain the head / ball relationship throughout the approach and delivery.
3) If you maintain your head / ball relationship throughout the approach, you should be able to close your eyes and hit your target.

Thanks, for your dedication and passion to the sport.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
GBuck

Post by GBuck »

Hi Jim,

Just read the post you inserted with the pictures of Bowlers A & B. My hand looks just like Bowler B's at his release point. Is there any correlation between his head position and the suitcase hand position. Bowler A has his hand behind the ball, which I am still trying to get to after all of these years.

Thanks,

Glenn
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

Head and ball alignment throughout the swing contribute to both balance and accuracy.
Bowler "B's" head position at release has nothing to do with his hand position.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

GBuck wrote:Hi Jim,

Just read the post you inserted with the pictures of Bowlers A & B. My hand looks just like Bowler B's at his release point. Is there any correlation between his head position and the suitcase hand position. Bowler A has his hand behind the ball, which I am still trying to get to after all of these years.

Thanks,

Glenn

Glenn, gripping holes in a bowling ball are a mixed blessing. Without the holes most humans could not turn the ball early without dropping it. By the same token, it's very difficult to turn a ball early without your thumb in it.

A few thoughts I hope will be of benefit.

Possible stepping stones:

Think about rolling a straight ball or a mild back up ball until "the last second". Basically exaggeration in direct opposition of the desired results.
Don Johnson taught some lessons in that way and he spoke of that on his VHS tape.
Rolf Gauger used that method too (I was a student of Rolf's) good man, top notch teacher. In a twist of irony, Rolf did not charge his students a lot of money, this belied the pronunciation of his last name {pronounced Gouger).
Rolf also was a stickler on form and on thinking about how you wanted to look at the end of a process. For some people thinking about that posture and position can help it happen.
If you have never heard of Rolf, he was a top notch coach acknowledged by many including John Jowdy. Rolf passed away before he could crank out that book. Rolf was an excellent instructor who made bowlers better.
Here is a bit of wisdom by one of our forum members, Greg Helms.
Greg's Bowling Chat ID is FitDocSr
This is an excellent tip and method.

Put a piece of white tape on your PAP. When you can at least make it face the left gutter (straight ball) you are behind it at release. Dont try to hook it (or dont try to turn your hand). Once you have that under control, then you can start adding turn with the hand.
I teach that you cant hook it properly until you can roll it straight properly. Also helps on spares.

USBC Silver Certified Coach
Brunswick Pro Staff
*The opinions expressed are solely those of the writer and not of Brunswick Bowling & Billiards Corporation
John Jowdy's "Ring Finger Lead Drill" (I had a lesson with John once, very interesting).
That is, lead your downswing with your ring finger.
Think about keeping the crease of your elbow facing your target line.
Think about rolling the ball off of the part of your palm at the base of your index finger.
If you have a callus there that is a good sign.

Norm Duke says "Make a Peace sign (or V for Victory), roll the ball off the base of that V.

Precursor drills, roll a small ball on a vinyl floor and turn it a bit at the bottom.
Practice with a light house ball without your thumb (foul line drill)

In learning new mechanics, sometimes isolating the new aspect is a good first step.
Dick Ritger's system is built on that, Don Johnson used it, Bill Hall, Richard Shockley and more. Norm Duke was a student of Bill Hall's
it must work for some.
Gradually integrate the new process.
Sometimes, doing it slower first before going at full speed helps.
Alway's practice with a PAP marker on your ball and always Post every shot pose at the line watch the ball path through to pins and into the Pit. Never get out of the pose until the ball is in the PIT.
If you can't pose there, then you have a balance issue that will keep you from being your best.
The Pose is a vital part of a POST (as in AFTER) the shot routine, looking at your foot for its direction and finishing boards are a few other things (you should know where you intend to finish, why not check)

Changing one habit for another takes a lot of repetition, commitment, and resolve.
Even though it may be within your physical capability, the biggest hurdle is mental.
Changes are best learned and implemented in practice not when it counts.
Improvement takes practice for most humans.

Keep on Truckin'
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John