Positive Axis Point: 5 1/2 x 7/8
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 270
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 70

Drifting pivot/power step

Post by Athery »

Hello Jim,
I need help fixing a bowler whose pivot / power step drifted 3-5board to the right instead of crossing over his left (slide leg). What is causing this? and how to fix it? Thanks
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Drifting pivot/power step

Post by JMerrell »

Moved to the Coaching Discussion Forum so that you could respond.

Athery,
I didn’t get a crystal ball for Xmas, so video is still required for an accurate analysis of his situation. Also the pivot/power step should be in front of the left foot, not crossover his left.

A little more info about his bowler would be beneficial, I’m guessing that he is closer to being speed dominant than rev dominant. And he has a misconception about how many boards his ball really covers.

His step to the right could be caused by misalignment to his target at address.

A majority of the bowlers I analyze line up improperly to their intended target.

Must be a manly thing that says real men line up left of center, even if they are still targeting the tenth board area.

Fortunately, our brain is smarter than our brawniness and it will direct our feet in the direction needed in order to hit our intended target. If it doesn’t he will always miss left of his intended target.

If the above describes your bowler, he needs to start by moving his feet further right at address.

His first objection may be that his ball will hook too much to hit the pocket. And it may until he learns to stop going around the ball too soon.

For an analysis pertinent to this bowler post a video of his approach and delivery from a back view in the Certified Coaching Forum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
ads
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Post by ads »

JMerrell wrote:Moved to the Coaching Discussion Forum so that you could respond.

Athery,
I didn’t get a crystal ball for Xmas, so video is still required for an accurate analysis of his situation. Also the pivot/power step should be in front of the left foot, not crossover his left.

A little more info about his bowler would be beneficial, I’m guessing that he is closer to being speed dominant than rev dominant. And he has a misconception about how many boards his ball really covers.

His step to the right could be caused by misalignment to his target at address.

A majority of the bowlers I analyze line up improperly to their intended target.

Must be a manly thing that says real men line up left of center, even if they are still targeting the tenth board area.

Fortunately, our brain is smarter than our brawniness and it will direct our feet in the direction needed in order to hit our intended target. If it doesn’t he will always miss left of his intended target.

If the above describes your bowler, he needs to start by moving his feet further right at address.

His first objection may be that his ball will hook too much to hit the pocket. And it may until he learns to stop going around the ball too soon.

For an analysis pertinent to this bowler post a video of his approach and delivery from a back view in the Certified Coaching Forum.
Hi Jim,

Should we walk towards the same board at the foul time , or towards the target (the arrow, the exit point or the break point)?

I got answers on both sides. The difference is small when play outside and straight but when move further inside is another story.
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*
Athery

Post by Athery »

I tried my best collecting the videos regarding this issue. Its also my first time uploading video to you tube. And Im not so sure if I can post it here. btw, heres the link if I still cant embed it in this post " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What I notice is that the more he stand inside the approach the more severe the pivot step drift are.

Jim pls comment. :)

[youtube][/youtube]
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JMerrell »

ads wrote:Hi Jim,
Should we walk towards the same board at the foul time , or towards the target (the arrow, the exit point or the break point)? Too much information, read below as I will try to simplify alignment to the target.

First....we bowl in straight lines.
Correct set-up at address enables us to accomplish this.

1) Set-up with the head positioned over the outside of the non-slide foot.
2) Position the ball under the head and maintain the head / ball relationship throughout the approach and delivery.
3) This set-up aligns the head, ball and body down the intended target line.
4) Line up to the target based upon what the lane is giving up, not what the eye wants to see.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... rn_Release" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Correctly positioning the head, ball and body at address relative to the non-slide foot in turn places the non-slide foot on the intended target line towards the break point.

Sequence:
1) Pick your break point
2) Pick you intermediate target (foul line, arrows)
3) Extend a line through these two points back to your starting position on the approach.
4) The center of the non-slide foot should be on this line.
5) The goal is to maintain the head /ball relationship set-up at address over this intended line throughout your approach and delivery.

As bowlers come in all shapes and sizes…..individual adjustments in set-up, alignment are necessary to maintain the head / ball relationship and project the ball down the intended target line.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JMerrell »

All three of his shots share one commonality……he walks straight up the approach for his first three steps…then has to walk right in order to line the body up with his intended line.

Commonality number two…he starts out 2-3 boards too far left at address no matter which line he is playing.

Read post #6 above and incorporate this into his game.

He is suffering from misalignment to target and not walking toward his intended target on each step.
-JMerrell
Athery

Post by Athery »

Coach Jim, You really hit the spot! In my discussion with him, he did make the objection that his ball hook too much / early at the pocket. Then I remember your post no 2,

"His first objection may be that his ball will hook too much to hit the pocket. And it may until he learns to stop going around the ball too soon"

I agree with your statement that he is turning the ball too soon at the downswing.

Now Jim, How do you normally fix those that turns the ball too early? I have difficulties helping bowlers with this issues too. The normal advice such as telling them to 'stay behind the ball' doesnt seem to work. Does it have anything to do with the structure of the shoulder socket (biomechanics) as Mark baker mention in his 'The System' DVD?

btw, I have also instructed him to follow your instruction at post no 6 for now.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JMerrell »

Athery wrote:Now Jim, How do you normally fix those that turns the ball too early? The normal advice such as telling them to 'stay behind the ball' doesnt seem to work. No it doesn't, because no one should stay behind the ball, unless it is a spare ball. :D Does it have anything to do with the structure of the shoulder socket (biomechanics) as Mark baker mention in his 'The System' DVD? Not sure what Mark Baker says in his DVD, nor do I care....just the way it is.
1) Find a lane condition where he can play straight up the second arrow.
2) At address have him move his feet 2 boards right from where I saw him standing in the video when playing up the lane.
3) This is the most important part of this drill.......his goal is to try to roll a straight ball and hit the three pin, not the pocket.
4) More than likely, the ball will still hook and hit the pocket.
5) This drill should improve both his alignment (no step to the right) and his release.
-JMerrell