Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 60

Timing to unhinge bowling arm

Post by ads »

Follow Jim's unhinge bowling arm instruction

viewtopic.php?p=81217#p81217" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1) Ball held close to the body at address
2) Short first step with no movement of the ball away from the body.
3) During the second step the ball side arm moves forward until the ball side elbow is near the front of the body. (important.....no lowering of the ball height from address position).
4) During the third step the ball side arm simply unhinges, this move straightens the ball side arm and positions the ball near the bottom of the swing arc.

Step 1 to 3 are easy to follow. When it comes to step #4, I came across Joe Slowinski's article (http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/sto ... ifeb09.pdf) on the same technique which suggests a different timing of unhinging the bowling arm.

"...I ask students to think, “drop-left.” In other words, let the bottom of the hand drop, then take the step. Your feet will want to move quickly. If you feel your feet are going quicker, then you are executing properly..."

My intrepretation of Joe's method is to start unhinging bowling arm first then move left foot (right handed) while Jim's approach is to do unhinging and moving left foot at the same time. Am I correct? Any difference between the 2?

Also, does low or high backswing have something to do with the start time of the unhinging?

Adrian
Adrian
Right handed
PAP: 5 1/8 up 3/4
Speed: 15.5 mph (Kegel Specto)
Rev: 350 RPM
Axis tilt: 18-20*
Axis rotation: 60*
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Timing to unhinge bowling arm

Post by JMerrell »

Adrian,
I see you are relatively new to the site….Welcome and enjoy the site. I have been doing video analysis since 1980, my coaching philosophy developed over those years by analyzing thousands of hours of video, not by reading other coaches opinions of what they believe is happening.

In conjunction with my philosophy of the hinge, the pace of the footwork for the five step bowler should be:

1) Slow
2) Slow
3) Quick
4) Quick
5) Slide

I prefer utilizing the large muscle of the legs to control the pace of the approach versus putting the smaller muscles of the arms in charge of starting the race.

Your question: Does low or high back swing have something to do with the start time of the unhinging?

Nothing. The height of the back swing is a function of several variables:
Forward spine tilt, athlete flexibility and upper body rotation.

I don’t pay attention to the opinions of all the Joe’s in the world when it comes to coaching.

I am moving your post to the Coaching Discussion forum, perhaps someone from Joe’s Fan Club can elaborate on his opinion of the hinge.

Again welcome and grow with us.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
ads
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand

Post by ads »

JMerrell wrote:Adrian,
I see you are relatively new to the site….Welcome and enjoy the site. I have been doing video analysis since 1980, my coaching philosophy developed over those years by analyzing thousands of hours of video, not by reading other coaches opinions of what they believe is happening.

In conjunction with my philosophy of the hinge, the pace of the footwork for the five step bowler should be:

1) Slow
2) Slow
3) Quick
4) Quick
5) Slide

I prefer utilizing the large muscle of the legs to control the pace of the approach versus putting the smaller muscles of the arms in charge of starting the race.

Your question: Does low or high back swing have something to do with the start time of the unhinging?

Nothing. The height of the back swing is a function of several variables:
Forward spine tilt, athlete flexibility and upper body rotation.

I don’t pay attention to the opinions of all the Joe’s in the world when it comes to coaching.

I am moving your post to the Coaching Discussion forum, perhaps someone from Joe’s Fan Club can elaborate on his opinion of the hinge.

Again welcome and grow with us.
Thanks for the clarification and welcome. Certainly, you and the other guru of this forum will help me growing.

Actually I tried both approaches. Moving left leg and unhinging bowling arm together (that's my interpretation of your approach) gives me a better chance of synchronization. I felt more balanced and able to repeat the unhinging act shot after shot. I shared this technique to my teammates and all of them were amazed how it can help them to increase ball speed without extra push and create a longer flat spot for release. Most importantly, we all felt more balanced at the foul line.

Of course, I am still making mistakes after the unhinging act, e.g. not patient enough to wait until the bowling arm from coming down and start pulling.

Thanks again for the great sharing.
Adrian
Right handed
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

Here is a drill to free up the unhinging motion:

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... im_Merrell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
ads
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5 5/8 up 3/4
Speed: 14 mph off hand

Post by ads »

Hi Jim,

What will be the footwork along with unhinge act for a 4-step bowler?

Will everything the same except without the first short step of a 5-step bowler?
Adrian
Right handed
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source