Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/2 up
Speed: 14 to 15 on score display
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 18
Axis Rotation: 45
Preferred Company: Storm, Pyramid & Brunswick

Beginner, intermediate and advanced instructional videos

Post by Linknblue »

I know is probably been discussed before but at the risk of getting hammered cuz I'm a bit challenged on searching..............what are the "recommended best instructional videos" for the beginner, intermediate and advanced bowlers?

My grandson is just starting and his coaches are mostly pacifying in that they don't want to tell anyone what they don't want to hear.........or if the get a bit of resistance to a certain technique they stop coaching completely.

He's a smart kid, pre teen (ugh) that knows it all of course so I'm think'n maybe this might be a helper to show him he just doesn't know it all.

Need help!!!! Please.

:)
John H. in Lincoln, CA
PAP =5 over and 1/2" up
Rev Rate = 275
Speed = 14 - 15 on monitor
Axis Rotation = 55 degrees
Axis tilt = 18 degrees
Average = 215 house & 200 sport
55 years of bowling = old guy trying to keep up
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Beginner, intermediate and advanced instructional videos

Post by kajmk »

I need help too. I just lost the post I was cobbling for you.
I'm known for inflating dirigibles with my posts ...

One bad click and zap! :oops: :oops: :oops:

So here goes another try.
I'm old so I forgot some of it already. :oops:

I'd advise speaking with the coaches in question if you have not already done so. Find out about their rationale for their actions and philosophy.

Smart, is a gift a birth, wisdom takes work, I'm still trying :oops:

Your comment
He's a smart kid, pre teen (ugh) that knows it all of course so I'm think'n maybe this might be a helper to show him he just doesn't know it all.
reminded me of

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”

― Mark Twain

I'd say that if he were to read the wiki, he'd get an appreciation for his place in the college of bowling knowledge.

This is a page from the Kouros book (which is reviewed on the forum.
It's his Bowling Tree.
Tree.JPG

Rather than give you one mans opinion about "the best", here is a way to have a glimpse at several opinions about a diverse set of media by various people.
What is "best" is a function of where he is at and his level of interest.
Impress upon him that what separates the best of the best from the best of the rest is knowledge and attitude and the belief that there is a constant need to learn and to hone ones skills.

A link on the wiki follows a bit amidst this bluster which has links to "rate/review" forum topics.
Although the responses are few, they are generally cogent.
Sadly, we bowlers have a poor track record at the book stores.

These reviews are for various media, some free, some not.

The title and link follow -
Instructional Material
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... l_Material" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Capture.JPG

But we do have our few usual suspects :)

[youtube][/youtube]

Is it just a coincidence that perhaps our most erudite forum member Gary Parsons, is a consistent reviewer? My stars, a man of his experience, knowledge, and wisdom actually avails himself of bowling educational material? If it's good for Gary, what then for most of us??
To Wit, no one was born with knowledge and no one source is to be depended upon.
Always seek out multiple sources.

I recall I believe it was Tom Kouros urging us to run from any coach that was rigid in a teaching method, i.e. do it this way and only this way. While there are fundamentals, there are various ways to get there and there are always exceptions.
Tom Kouros, Mark Baker, Richard Shockley, the late Don Johnson and others often mentioned their study of elite bowlers for commonalities.

Brian Voss wrote in his book that the primary difference in today's game when compare with yesteryear was more of a need for speed.
Now this need for speed and the open shoulder moves et al were not born with the advent of reactive resin. A young man names Amelleto Monacelli had a pretty creative style to generate ball speed and power. Marshall Holman did it his way, Mark Roth his way, Parker Bohn III, Norm Duke, Walter Ray and so on.

I would be extremely remiss if I failed to remind you of Jim Merrell, who's pro bono analysis and review on the Certified Coaching Forum continues to help many a bowler. There is much to be learned there. Real People with Real Problems, Given Real Solutions.
Jim has never written a bowling book, he does also have a real job teaching in an institute of higher learning.

We've never seen a picture of Jim until now.
EB.JPG
Bill Hall's articles are a treasure trove and were a staple on Bowling This Month Magazine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

LINKNBLUE- Maturity will come. It can not be forced.

kajmk wrote:To Wit, no one was born with knowledge and no one source is to be depended upon.Always seek out multiple sources.I recall I believe it was Tom Kouros urging us to run from any coach that was rigid in a teaching method, i.e. do it this way and only this way. While there are fundamentals, there are various ways to get there and there are always exceptions. Tom Kouros, Mark Baker, Richard Shockley, the late Don Johnson and others often mentioned their study of elite bowlers for commonalities.
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

John H.

Here's a link to a video on You Tube.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11079" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.