Suggestion - Ball Motion Analysis with Compare and Contrast

Questions about coaching?

Moderator: Moderators

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Suggestion - Ball Motion Analysis with Compare and Contrast

Post by kajmk »

It might be a good idea if someone with the resources would produce a set if videos contrasting desired bowling ball motion with undesired motion.
Videos could be done in real and slow motion.
It would seem that companies with access to robotic machines such as the one used in
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ison_Video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
could easily do this.
PAP markers and solid color balls might make it easier to discern.
The hook out roll out might also be demonstrated with and without pins.
These videos would be enhanced with an audio track or accompanying text.
The goal being to help more bowlers more quickly and shorten the learning curve.
Seeing is often better than reading ...
I would think such videos would belong on the USBC site and Ball company sites and ultimately our wiki.

Thoughts?

The Bowling in Northern Ireland website used to have videos with a Storm Soccer ball and one of the transparent balls (Kenn Melvin) I believe. The Soccer ball was drilled so that one of the black dots was on the PAP (this was a non flaring ball), that was a nice set of videos.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
rrb6699
THS Average: 235
Sport Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 4 ovr, 1 up
Speed: 12-18.5 mph at pin deck
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: 15#-Incognito, Obsession Sld, Altered Reality, Astrophyx Prl
Medium Oil Ball: 16# Quantum Violet, Honey Badger Rev, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: 15#: StarTrak Ureth -Sky Blue
Preferred Company: Radical, Storm/Roto, Brunswk

Re: Suggestion - Ball Motion Analysis with Compare and Contr

Post by rrb6699 »

hey,
seems we emcounter each other yet on another thread.

I believe what you mention will shorten the learning curve on ball motion. but a simple experiment will demonstrate rollout. just throw a ball very slow and watch it straighten out. thats rollout. I argued with a guy whom i've seen bowl on this tonite. he claimed his ball was not hooking back. I told him that it was finished hooking because it rolled out. he was trying to tell me the lanes were too slick. I know the house and have observed his game and he was rolling out. lack of knowledge/understanding. the guy is a bit hard headed to top it off.

it doesnt excuse the fact that nobody has taken time to explain this to him. a lot of times when pepple are strong minded others give up explaining things to them. I simply left him thinking about trying an experiment. I told him to put a few white pieces of tape over his fingers. throw the ball very slow and when the speed of rotation speeds up and the ball starts to roll straight, that is rollout. then throw it down the middle in the THS oil.

I explained if the tape is still spinning around the the ball and doesnt speed up like the slower shot, that is lack of friction and therefore "not hooking" because the lane is "slick".

the other biggest learning curve for myself and others, especially beginners, is to find a consistant approach and delivery.

this is where coaching can help the most. it would have saved me a lot of time learning why this is so important.

rr
Tweenr-RH
300-(15) 290-(37) 280-(31)
Ser-1075-4gm, 867-3gm
speed dominant
Tilt: low°, Ax Rot: ~....°, PAP: 3 7/8 over- 1/2 up; Speed: 17.5mph Avg downlane
Several Wins/Top 5 Finishes-scr/hdcp tournaments.
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp »

I could have a go at it once i finish the next analysis video i'm working on.

I've done a lot of filming of the ball going down the lane to show the bowlers i work with the 3 phases of ball motion and how different drillings change the length of the hook zone or cause the ball to start to flare early, and how once they get into a roll they go straight and hit the pins harder.

It is still a bit of a learning curve for most bowlers though, even with the visual aid as most don't watch the ball very closely going down the lane, let alone see the ball transitioning, as they don't understand what they are supposed to be looking for.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... all_Motion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

deanchamp wrote:I could have a go at it once i finish the next analysis video i'm working on.

I've done a lot of filming of the ball going down the lane to show the bowlers i work with the 3 phases of ball motion and how different drillings change the length of the hook zone or cause the ball to start to flare early, and how once they get into a roll they go straight and hit the pins harder.

It is still a bit of a learning curve for most bowlers though, even with the visual aid as most don't watch the ball very closely going down the lane, let alone see the ball transitioning, as they don't understand what they are supposed to be looking for.
And it is a very fine job you do Dean.
The Storm Soccer Ball was a nice ball to view precession, Ebonite had I believe two balls with concentric circles which were good optical tools.
I would imagine that you use a PAP tape, a Rev Tape as visual aids and correlate this with the position of grips if they are visible.

Off the top of my head, for consideration.
And it's really that, so if good, bad, ugly, ridiculous or otherwise, let me know what you think.
I'm trying to learn this game and how to teach it and I can be dense ...
As a teaching aid, what if something similar to yard markers on a football field were put atop the ball return tunnel. Once you have observed a bowlers transition pattern, you can then tell them to focus on the markers where the transition occurs. You can also then use this in videos.
Teaching the phases might be easier without pins or by screening the pins from view.
Teaching observation might be enhanced by placing one lane targets and getting the bowler to watch the ball roll near A then B attempting to connect the dots so to speak.
If teaching a group, ask them to watch and repeat or write down. This can be used to reinforce the concept of going to school on the lanes when coupled with stories of pro xyz recounting it's merits.

Contrast is also a good tool.
If one were to be able to superimpose contrasting shots as seen in the 3 point targeting with quiet eye video on youtube wherein Tommy Jones and Chris Barnes are bowling at the same time on the same lane, various illustrations of contrast could be depicted.

There may be other versions, but here is one.
Fast forward to 4:35 is where the sequence starts.

[youtube][/youtube]

This is a still of Barnes and Jones during the superimposed sequence.
Barnes and Jones.JPG
Additionally, illustrating the differences in drilling A vs B or other differences will be more apparent, the more skillful the demonstrator is.
Tangent anecdote.
This is one area I think that the Storm Matchmaker session I recently attended fell short both in marketing and missing a teaching point. An ameliorating circumstance may have been it was the last session on the last day, attendance was low, it was in a Senior community though ages varied from 40 up through 70+
Most of them needed work with their game than granularity of ball a to b to c etc.
Some on line help was provided by Liz Johnson and others to anyone who asked.
Some that did not ask, should have. There were some other teaching opportunities that were glossed over. Easy for me to say ..

Take care and thanks folks for all you do!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

kajmk wrote: The Bowling in Northern Ireland website used to have videos with a Storm Soccer ball and one of the transparent balls (Kenn Melvin) I believe. The Soccer ball was drilled so that one of the black dots was on the PAP (this was a non flaring ball), that was a nice set of videos.
Here's a download link to the soccer ball video:
http://web.archive.org/web/200906200234 ... Soccer.M1V

Here's one of Kenn's videos (I saved a few) this is skid hook and roll
Now I slowed it down.
[youtube][/youtube]
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."