Speed: 15.2 (foul line)
Rev Rate: 184
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 50
Light Oil Ball: Columbia 300 Nitrous
Preferred Company: Roto Grip

Direction and Line of Play

Post by Glenn » January 14th, 2020, 8:38 pm

I am confused about the proper direction and line of play. And, there seems to me to be two schools of thought.
On the one hand, the slide foot stays parallel to the lanes, the ball-side foot is slightly behind the slide foot, and the body opens up to accommodate the desired line of play as you approach the foul line.
On the other hand, the bowler stays parallel to the line of play, the feet are side-by-side (closed position), and you walk this path to the foul line.
Now, if we are talking about bowling up/near the track area, both approaches agree for the most part.
But as the bowler moves inside, the line of play (angle) increasingly differs between the two styles.
Am I missing something here?

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Direction and Line of Play

Post by kajmk » January 15th, 2020, 12:05 am

I don't think you are missing anything.

Chris Barnes has exemplary footwork.
Watch this short tip.

ETBF on footwork

A great from another era, take a look at Marshall's footwork in the beginning of this video.

Footwork drill
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so

There should be a rule of war saying you have to see someone up close and get to know 'em before it's ok to shoot 'em

Empathize

John

TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR » January 15th, 2020, 4:06 am

Hips, chest and swing should be aligned with intended line of play from address to release.

How much angle?

Ok, if ball is being release on 10 to hit 10 at the arrows in a line towards the bottom left corner of the 6 pin (10 board), launch angle is zero... Now if you were to lay the ball down on 39 in a line towards the 1 board at the pin deck, how large of a launch angle is this? Most would be surprised it’s only 3.14 degrees... so yea one should open up a bit to play deep but how much? The answer is very very little. If one opens up too much it will create a swing that goes around the body and the bowler will need compensations to get the ball back to the line of play at release.

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk » January 15th, 2020, 4:06 pm

As Tony said, the degree is very SUBTLE.

By the way, according to Del Warren, your travails are very COMMON.

I studied under Rolf Gauger. Rolf mentioned and wrote about 13 points of contact at the pins. Refining that, Focal points at the pin decks were taught. This video on 3 point targeting details those contact points.

If you were to practice using a straight ball (PAP Marker at Zero degrees) to those focal points, you might start to improve your alignment.

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so

There should be a rule of war saying you have to see someone up close and get to know 'em before it's ok to shoot 'em

Empathize

John