drilling question for oil ball

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

drilling question for oil ball

Post by elgavachon »

thanks paul! another dumb question: I was asking Mo which drilling angles to use on dry lanes for a minim axis tilt, (he said 80 3 1/2 30 ). I drilled it on a monave and I did change finger pitches and I am getting maybe 45 degrees of rotation on oil with a smooth ball, now if I wanted to drill an agressive coverstock say the mania to hook in a lot of oil, good backends, not a house shot, would you keep those angles and pin distance and just change covers? or what would be the smallest angles I should use with miminum tilt? I tried dual thumb on a Response Is that about as good as it gets for me or should I expect more ? In your experience, what should be small angels for me?
purduepaul
THS Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over by 5/8" up
Speed: 19
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 65
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling

Re: drilling question for oil ball

Post by purduepaul »

elgavachon wrote:thanks paul! another dumb question: I was asking Mo which drilling angles to use on dry lanes for a minim axis tilt, (he said 80 3 1/2 30 ). I drilled it on a monave and I did change finger pitches and I am getting maybe 45 degrees of rotation on oil with a smooth ball, now if I wanted to drill an agressive coverstock say the mania to hook in a lot of oil, good backends, not a house shot, would you keep those angles and pin distance and just change covers? or what would be the smallest angles I should use with miminum tilt? I tried dual thumb on a Response Is that about as good as it gets for me or should I expect more ? In your experience, what should be small angels for me?
Based on what you said I would probably do something in like with 40 3 3/8 35 for a mania. This will provide good continuation with a strong movement in the oil. The 80 would be too long if you are looking for a heavy oil ball. For you with lower tilt and rotation I would keep in the 3-4 inch range for pin to paps sum of the angles no less than 75. Hopefully this answers your question.
Paul Ridenour
former Sr Research Engineer at USBC
Radical Bowling Technologies Staffer