Heavy condition bowling ball

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

ShadowWrath
Preferred Company: Track

Heavy condition bowling ball

Post by ShadowWrath »

Hi am trying to decide on a ball to bring with me for the heavy conditions. I am looking at the Vivid, Lucid, VG Nano, 912T, and the Critical Theory. I have a rev rate of about 430 to 450, launch speed of about 18.5, 5 to 10 degrees of tilt, and 30 degrees rotation. I was worried that getting the higher end balls on the list would force me to return the ball to my bag after 6 or 7 shots dude to my rev rate. I was considering the critical theory for that reason. I could start further right and move left as the lane breaks down before switching to my 607a se. Is this a good idea? Any better suggestions? Any input is appreciated thank you.
BowlingCoach
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: Bowling Knowledge

Re: Heavy condition bowling ball

Post by BowlingCoach »

At this point your question is incomplete. The term "heavy oil condition" can refer to short, medium or long oil patterns. In fact, many medium and long patterns have a similar volume of oil but long patterns transition much faster than medium due to less conditioner at the end of the pattern. And, short patterns can have equal or more volume of oil than medium patterns.

So, can you think about when you would use the ball you are trying to fit into your arsenal. In other words, where is the gap you are trying to fill?

I always like bowlers to conceptualize bowling balls in sequence for specific patterns and pattern transition. In other words, the ball (core characteristics), DUAL ANGLE layout and surface. This helps a bowler have the right ball in their hand just like a golfer has the correct club for the shot they need to hit. Another way to conceptualize this is to consider the shape you need for maximizing the Margin of Error at that phase of lane transition.

Can you rephrase your question to more accurately depict what you really want? For example, I am looking for a ball for the fresh on longer patterns (43'+) on harder lane surfaces such as Brunswick Pro Anvilane. Or, I need a ball and layout for fresh medium when bowling on higher volume patterns on a harder lane surface.
Joe Slowinski
USBC Gold Level Coach
IBPSIA Pro Shop Professional
ShadowWrath

Post by ShadowWrath »

Im sorry I apologize for the lack of information. I guess I didnt realize what I wrote and the questions it left. But I am looking for a ball for the long fresh/heavy.
BowlingCoach
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by BowlingCoach »

Often on fresh/long patterns (PL>=43') many bowlers utilize equipment that is too strong (cover, core, layout, surface) which leads the ball to lose too much potential angle creation in the oil due to the surface and excessive flare. Consequently, when the ball exits the end of the pattern it can't create adequate angle to strike or stay online to the pocket. The ball loses too much axis of rotation and axis tilt in the oil. And, this always leads to over/under ball reaction when missing slightly inside or outside.

From my experience matching equipment to long patterns, with a player of your ball speed and rev rate, I prefer symmetrical bowling balls with higher RG and lower DIFFs with longer PIN to PAP distances (5"+) and lower VAL angles (VAL <=35 degrees). In addition, on the fresh, I recommend less surface (2000 or higher). As a general rule, the Storm line fits well into this domain due to the high RG values and cover variation (solid reactive, hybrid reactive, pearl reactive).

People are often shocked how this combination gives them a great deal of margin of error on long.

What bowling balls do you currently have that are pin-up with weaker cores?
Joe Slowinski
USBC Gold Level Coach
ShadowWrath

Post by ShadowWrath »

Well I have been a track fan for a long time so most all of my stuff in my line up now is track but I am venturing out to different brands now that I basically have every ball I want form track.
Here is my arsenal:
Spoiler:
607a
1000 surface

715t
2000 surface

503c
3000 surface (not polished yet but I will soon)

300c
Out of box

100p
spare ball

I also have a 706a but is at the pro shop right now. Ill add the pic soon. Its four boards stronger than the 503c with more length.
Comments on the arsenal: I am getting the 706a Thursday. I am drilling it to go long and snap hard in the backend being 3 to 4 boards stronger than my 503c.

I have my oil condition balls the 607a and 715t. I have the 697a to roll early and the 715t to, when the lanes dry or break down, to have a little more length but still hold the inside being a step down from the 607a just like I did with the 706 and 503.

Also considering replacing my 300c with the 300a because I dont like the way the 300c rolls.

I usually only bring four balls to the lane at a time depending on the shot. If it was a shot with oil that was long or heavy medium pattern I usually bring my two balls for oil (715t and 607a) and my spare and "last resort ball" (300c). If I was bowling on anything else from medium with moderate oil to dry lanes I do the same thing but swap the oil balls with my dry lane balls (706a and 503c) and bring the spare and last resort.
BowlingCoach
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by BowlingCoach »

Do you have the Dual Angle layouts on these bowling balls?
Joe Slowinski
USBC Gold Level Coach
ShadowWrath

Post by ShadowWrath »

Not that I know of no. I think I kept it simple.
BowlingCoach
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by BowlingCoach »

In today's bowling world, having access to the details and data will help you improve your bowling game. I would strongly recommend that you visit an IBPSIA certified pro shop to help you determine your exact dual angle layouts. It will help you to make better decisions about your equipment as well as understand what specific ball motion is likely from this equipment. This is the only way to move from guessing to precision, leading to higher scoring and more consistency.

Use this to find an IBPSIA certified pro shop professional in your area

http://www.ibpsia.com/pros.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joe Slowinski
USBC Gold Level Coach
MoRichBowler300
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 217
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8 x 7/8 up
Speed: 16 at 40 ft
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Guru Master
Medium Oil Ball: Radical Jackpot Solid
Light Oil Ball: Radical Rack Attack Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by MoRichBowler300 »

Along the same line of what Joe said about the ball losing axis rotation and tilt too fast, if you could, go find an IBPSIA certified technician to performance fit you to increase your axis tilt. Your tilt, as it stands, is WAY too low. Your balls will almost always get into the hook and roll phases too early. The optimum tilt is between 13 and 17 degrees. The easiest way to increase tilt is to have your middle finger span brought in slightly and add forward pitch. Also, bring your ring finger span out and increase the reverse pitch. It will keep the ball on the right side of your hand longer and get you to not be so "up the back of the ball." You will notice a completely different ball motion with the increased tilt. Can you please provide your specs (span) as they are right now? Also, make sure whoever is fitting you is using the fit from the wiki section of the website as a base fit. Then do the performance fit based off of that.
www.nicksproshop.com
Guru Master 65 x 4 x 30 DBL thumb
Fix 70 x 4 1/2 x 40 p3
Jackpot Solid 60 x 3 1/2 x 55 p2.5 hole
Rave On 75 x 4 x 50
Rack Attack Pearl 90 x 4.5 x 70
BTU Pearl 125 x 2 1/4 x 45
Tilt: 14°
Rot: 60°
PAP 4 7/8 x 7/8
Hi Gm 300x5
Hi Srs 793
MoRichBowler300
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 217
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8 x 7/8 up
Speed: 16 at 40 ft
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Guru Master
Medium Oil Ball: Radical Jackpot Solid
Light Oil Ball: Radical Rack Attack Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by MoRichBowler300 »

Also, have your arsenal lined up by spin time on a determinator. It gives you an idea of core strength. You can deduct how much hook is coming from the cover by figuring out how much hook is coming from the core
www.nicksproshop.com
Guru Master 65 x 4 x 30 DBL thumb
Fix 70 x 4 1/2 x 40 p3
Jackpot Solid 60 x 3 1/2 x 55 p2.5 hole
Rave On 75 x 4 x 50
Rack Attack Pearl 90 x 4.5 x 70
BTU Pearl 125 x 2 1/4 x 45
Tilt: 14°
Rot: 60°
PAP 4 7/8 x 7/8
Hi Gm 300x5
Hi Srs 793
Qman
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/8 1/2 up
Rev Rate: 280
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 20
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Sinister
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Solid
Light Oil Ball: Rack Attack Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical/Storm/Roto Grip

Post by Qman »

I was going to suggest the Hellraiser Revenge by DV8. Should be getting mine here on Wed. But they are releasing a new ball on the 31st which is the Nightmare and that is supposed to hook more than the Revenge.
Adapt or perish!

PAP 4 1/8, 1/2 up
Axis Rotation 20
Axis Tilt 23
Rev rate 280
Speed Dominate / Rev Challenged
14-16mph at monitor