Positive Axis Point: 5>1^
Speed: 15.5
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 70
Medium Oil Ball: Pink Panther

Video of my Mania

Post by Adrenaline »

Finally got it drilled up Tuesday afternoon. Threw 6 Games at the alley up there, then today went down to my local alley with the camera and compared the Mania side by side with my Virtual Gravity and Mega Friction.

I'm not ready to make my full decision, as I like to get some oil soaked into the track, before I come to my final conclusion. But so far my Mania pretty much completely overlaps my Virtual, but the virtual has a bit more recovery. I'm thinking I'll probably need to toy with the weights, or surface again, to put some separation between the two.

So, the ball started out as a 5" Pin, with 2oz of Top weight. The P4 was maxed out, at 1" wide, and just over 2" deep. This was nearly maxed out on finger weight, couldn't go any deeper/wider. But the fingers are only drilled as deep as my inserts, so I guess if I went deeper on both fingers, I could go deeper on the P4. But that's why I'm here, so Mo can take a look at the video and give me his thoughts on adjustments I need to make.

I know my form is still as bad as the last video, but that's because I didn't want to change anything right before position round and sweeper night, then the season was over, and this is the only time I've bowled since, except for 3 games with J_w73. Planning on using the summer league to apply the knowledge I've been given.

So, here it is:
[youtube][/youtube]
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Re: Video of my Mania

Post by kellytehuna »

I know that Mo prefers deeper weight holes as opposed to bigger weight holes. I'm guessing because deeper will almost always hit the core, thereby removing MORE mass, thus creating more dramatic changes in the diffs.

I would think that surface changes should be enough to create some separation. I would say more surface on the mania to make it more aggressive, but you've already done that, so maybe less surface on the VG. I would wager a guess to say that it will likely be worthwhile to drill the fingers a little deeper and try to get the weight hole that little bit deeper as well.
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
cgeorg
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/2 x 1/2

Post by cgeorg »

I think that, between the Mega Friction, VG, and Mania, you are going to have a hard time finding a lot of separation. It looks like the MF is only a pinch weaker than the VG now, so weakening the VG would create overlap there. I suppose you could always throw a coat of polish and a P1 hole in the MF, then weaken the VG a bit, but IMO you could have picked a better spot in your arsenal to fill.
CMGBB - Bowling tips
BowlSK - Bowling score keeper and stats tracker
My BowlSK

That my boy... that's pro quality.
Adrenaline
Positive Axis Point: 5>1^
Speed: 15.5
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 70
Medium Oil Ball: Pink Panther

Post by Adrenaline »

Well, I was planning for the Mania to push me about 5 boards into the oil, giving me the ability to play a different line. So Mo recommended the Mania, and the layout, with that goal in mind. Unfortunately we didn't quite make it, YET. I'd prefer not to mess with my MF or the VG, as they complement each other very well for me, and have been working great. My Red Death is getting plugged as we speak, my Mutant Cell will be here Monday, and I've been keeping my eye open for a Mission to put a similar drill to the MF, but add some Drilling angle, for length, as well as increase the VAL angle to add more control for drier conditions. Red Death is going to be Pin in Ring, with the CG swung out as far as I can across my Midline, and for the Mutant I wanted to do pin under bridge, with MB on my VAL. Considering Double Thumbing a BW Nasty, and trying a Skid/Snap Layout on a Jigsaw Corner. But there's also a cheap Mega Recovery for sale right now, I was considering picking up. I dunno, gunna wait until the Red Death & Mutant are Re-drilled, and see how things go with the Mania before I decide which way to go with my arsenal.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

I think I would go deeper with the fingers and try to get the wt. hole maxed out. The Mania is working for you, so I would make sure it is your ball for a flood. With all the other balls you have mentioned, you can have a condition specific ball.
MattCosta7
THS Average: 200
Heavy Oil Ball: Mania 40* x 4.25" x 30* P3.5 1000 Sia
Medium Oil Ball: Evil Siege 45 x 4 x 35* 2000
Light Oil Ball: Cherry Vibe 50* x 4.5" x 45* P2 4000 + FF + Extender
Preferred Company: MoRich, Hammer, Roto, Bruns

Post by MattCosta7 »

What are you bowling on?

A house shot often masks differences in reactions. Since you're mostly forced into a zone based on your release, it's not as easy to see the changes in reaction that become much more apparent, especially when there's more volume down-lane.

For the Mania
I'ld do what I could to get that weighthole 3" deep. For future, a 3/4" hole 3" deep is much more effective than a 1" + hole, that only goes 2" down. Drill the middle finger deeper first (to make sure you don't run out of side-weight to work with), and the ring as needed.

Then, work on surface adjustments. The Mania definitely rolls stronger after it gets a few games on it (from my experience), but you may consider going to alittle more surface to help separate the two balls more.

Judging from the balls you have and listed wanting to drill, I think you should consider what you need, rather than what is the new best thing, because with a MF, VG, Mania, Jigsaw Corner and a mutant cell and a mission, you're begging for overlap. I know new stuff is exciting to throw, but why waste your cash to end up in the same position, when you could begin filling out an arsenal.

That's a 6 ball arsenal for 2 conditions (if that!) With Major surface changes, and radical layouts, you can get away with them on some medium length/medium volume, but it seems like you're already over invested into the medium/heavy medium/long +s.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

Adrenaline wrote:Well, I was planning for the Mania to push me about 5 boards into the oil, giving me the ability to play a different line. So Mo recommended the Mania, and the layout, with that goal in mind. Unfortunately we didn't quite make it, YET. I'd prefer not to mess with my MF or the VG, as they complement each other very well for me, and have been working great. My Red Death is getting plugged as we speak, my Mutant Cell will be here Monday, and I've been keeping my eye open for a Mission to put a similar drill to the MF, but add some Drilling angle, for length, as well as increase the VAL angle to add more control for drier conditions. Red Death is going to be Pin in Ring, with the CG swung out as far as I can across my Midline, and for the Mutant I wanted to do pin under bridge, with MB on my VAL. Considering Double Thumbing a BW Nasty, and trying a Skid/Snap Layout on a Jigsaw Corner. But there's also a cheap Mega Recovery for sale right now, I was considering picking up. I dunno, gunna wait until the Red Death & Mutant are Re-drilled, and see how things go with the Mania before I decide which way to go with my arsenal.
In reading the consensus from everyone and your preference, I suggest making adjustments to max out the size of the balance hole in the mania. Drilling the fingers deeper making the MF 1/2" deeper than the RF will allow you to increase the size of the balance hole. Don't worry about the static weight numbers as long as they remain legal. The shape of the core in the mania is specifically designed to make the change in the size of the balance hole very effective. Don't exceed 2 3/4" deep in the balance hole with the deep fingers or the holes may meet at the bottom. Please let us know how it works.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)