Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: TR2
Medium Oil Ball: QZ1 / TX1
Light Oil Ball: RX1
Preferred Company: Motiv

When to put a youth in fingertip

Post by MattInTheHat »

I have a couple of youth bowlers who have recently moved up to reactive bowling balls. One is about 11, the other 13, neither one all that big or strong. The 11 year old is getting a 12lb ball (2lbs heavier than previous ball) while the 13 year old has a 14lb ball (also 2lbs heavier than previous ball). Neither one has the wrist strength to keep their wrist firm for the standard 10 second test with these weights, but each has been using a lighter ball and chunking it down the lane like it was a pebble, so I'm comfortable with the weights they will be using. What I'm not sure about is when to go to a fingertip drilling. I am thinking about leaving the 11 year old in a conventional grip, and taking the 13 year old to fingertip, as he has been using the 14lb ball with conventional grip for a couple of months and I've already had to open up the fingers some for growth. But I still wonder if it is time.

So besides physical size, what other factors should I consider? How good their form is? I know wrist strength is an important factor but will I be risking any physical harm in taking them to fingertip at a young age when they don't have the wrist strength? I know plenty of adults who barely have the wrist strength yet bowl well enough with a fingertip drilling, but they are also fully developed adults. Anything else that I should look at to help me decide?

Thanks!
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Re: When to put a youth in fingertip

Post by JohnP »

I'm not a qualified coach, so what follows is strictly my own opinion. There are a lot of factors to consider, and I don't think you can set a age or weight rule. First, how long has the youth been bowling and how skilled is his game with the conventional grip? I would put someone who has been serious about the game and has a solid release with his conventional ball in a fingertip grip earlier than someone with more physical strength but less experience and expertise. Another consideration - how badly does he want a fingertip grip? If he really doesn't care, I'll leave him in a conventional grip longer. But I've drilled for a few youngsters that simply weren't going to be happy with anything but fingertip. Even if I didn't think they were really ready for fingertip, I've drilled it for them. And it's worked OK every time. Hope this rambling helps. -- JohnP
steve s
Preferred Company: none

Post by steve s »

John , In this day and age ,I find if the bowler is wanting a finger tip drill go ahead and do it ..Finger tip is easier to get out of and roll it instead of knuckle balling it down the lane..After all a big part of this game is enjoyment ..If the bowler is not happy , why should they stay ...? I believe a bigger problem is the weight of the ball being used ...A 10lb ball rolling carries better than a 12 lb with no speed and no roll...Work on proper release and fundamentals with them and grow them ... I'll agree with you that some are not ready to move on though....steve s
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by kellytehuna »

It's a tough call I think, because you don't want to do any damage to their wrists and fingers, but you want them to bowl the best the can. I would say if they're strong enough to throw 14lb, their hands should be strong enough to handle a fingertip grip. That being said, I'm no expert in pediatric physiology so, I don't know that I wouldn't hold off if my daughter decided she wanted to go fingertip - when she's old enough of course. She's not even 2 year! LOL!
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

I think if they can get under the ball with conventional, they're ready.
Topping the ball is a big problem when moving up to fingertip too early.
the bowlers edge
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Preferred Company: Ebolumiba

Post by the bowlers edge »

Explain to kid and the parents the benifits of throwing a fingertip. If they deside to use it, take the time to show them the proper way to grip the ball, and if you have the area in your shop (as we do) have them roll it and show them how to keep from spinning and topping it. usually just requires keeping the elbow tucked into the body. As mentioned, its easier to roll off the hand, so i usually try to talk people into it.
Adrenaline
Positive Axis Point: 5>1^
Speed: 15.5
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 70
Medium Oil Ball: Pink Panther

Post by Adrenaline »

When I was younger, I wanted to move up to fingertips, and the pro shop refused. They explained that finger tips put more stress on the hand, wrist and finger, that over time, (if too young and under developed) will cause the plates(?) in your bowling hand to grow at a different rate than your off hand, possibly causing length and size issues between hands.
How much of this is true, I honestly have no clue, but that's why I was forced to wait until I was... probably 12 or 13 I think.
Amateur
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8" over, 3/8 up
Speed: 13-14

Post by Amateur »

I think I was 13 when I got my first fingertip ball. I've known a few that have gotten it at as young as 10.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

MattInTheHat wrote:I have a couple of youth bowlers who have recently moved up to reactive bowling balls. One is about 11, the other 13, neither one all that big or strong. The 11 year old is getting a 12lb ball (2lbs heavier than previous ball) while the 13 year old has a 14lb ball (also 2lbs heavier than previous ball). Neither one has the wrist strength to keep their wrist firm for the standard 10 second test with these weights, but each has been using a lighter ball and chunking it down the lane like it was a pebble, so I'm comfortable with the weights they will be using. What I'm not sure about is when to go to a fingertip drilling. I am thinking about leaving the 11 year old in a conventional grip, and taking the 13 year old to fingertip, as he has been using the 14lb ball with conventional grip for a couple of months and I've already had to open up the fingers some for growth. But I still wonder if it is time.

So besides physical size, what other factors should I consider? How good their form is? I know wrist strength is an important factor but will I be risking any physical harm in taking them to fingertip at a young age when they don't have the wrist strength? I know plenty of adults who barely have the wrist strength yet bowl well enough with a fingertip drilling, but they are also fully developed adults. Anything else that I should look at to help me decide?

Thanks!

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to this. Because of the lack of maturity of kid's growth joints, I stay with conventional for a long time. I didn't put my youngest into a fingertip until he was 15. I taught him to slow hook a conventional and used surface. He's now 21 and gets PDW ball reaction because of his fast hand. Add reverse to the fingers and lengthen the span very slightly in the conventional to help it roll. Teach him to stick his finish, feed the ball into the lane and to the right to perfect his technique. That will be better in the long term, but it may be a struggle in the short term.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)