Axis rotation influence

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

71lemans
Preferred Company: Storm

Axis rotation influence

Post by 71lemans »

How does axis rotation influence the dual angle layout, I know it is only one part of the information needed to decide on the layout, but if somebody has a axis rotation of 70 degrees, and if all the other information is the same but the axis rotation changes to 10-20 degrees, how would that affect the layout?
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Axis rotation influence

Post by MegaMav »

I hope this article helps to explain it: http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... Sweet_Spot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

I like it MegaMav! This website is really getting user friendly. Congrats to Cgeorg too.
Mo says higher axis rotation will delay the transition and make the break more angular, so he lowers the drilling angle. My guess is if you have less rotation and everything else is equal, you would add to the drilling angle.
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by kellytehuna »

If you have extremely low tilt or rotation, you would tend to use shorter pin-pap distances (~ 2 1/2" maybe) as well, to try to help preserve whatever tilt/rotation you might have already. Usually, extremely low tilt goes hand in hand with extremely low rotation as well, I believe. Having said that, most good bowlers can effectively manipulate their rotation to better suit the conditions they're on.
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

elgavachon wrote:I like it MegaMav! This website is really getting user friendly. Congrats to Cgeorg too.
Mo says higher axis rotation will delay the transition and make the break more angular, so he lowers the drilling angle. My guess is if you have less rotation and everything else is equal, you would add to the drilling angle.
YOU ARE CORRECT!
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

kellytehuna wrote:If you have extremely low tilt or rotation, you would tend to use shorter pin-pap distances (~ 2 1/2" maybe) as well, to try to help preserve whatever tilt/rotation you might have already. Usually, extremely low tilt goes hand in hand with extremely low rotation as well, I believe. Having said that, most good bowlers can effectively manipulate their rotation to better suit the conditions they're on.
Kelly, that shorter pin to PAP distance is on asymmetricals only.
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by kellytehuna »

Oh man! Got caught by the old symmetrical-asymmetrical monster again! Ok, new piece of info to add to the collection :)

I honestly thought that principle held up for both. :)
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Mo Pinel wrote: YOU ARE CORRECT!
71lemans asks:

How does axis rotation influence the dual angle layout, I know it is only one part of the information needed to decide on the layout, but if somebody has a axis rotation of 70 degrees, and if all the other information is the same but the axis rotation changes to 10-20 degrees, how would that affect the layout?

In this case 71lemans is asking if a person changes his axis rotation from 70* to say 20*. Is there a more or less of how many degrees you would add to the drilling angle?
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

elgavachon wrote: 71lemans asks:

In this case 71lemans is asking if a person changes his axis rotation from 70* to say 20*. Is there a more or less of how many degrees you would add to the drilling angle?
That quite a change in axis rotation. I can't ever remember anyone that could change it that much. A change of 30 to 40* in axis rotation would be HUGE. There is no fixed change in angles per change in degrees of axis rotation.

Here's how it should work. Decreasing axis rotation with everything else held constant would require increasing the angle ratio without changing the sum of the angles. For example, cutting axis rotation would require increasing the angle ratio by increasing the drilling angle by the same amount as you increased the angle to the VAL. For example, going from a 50* drilling angle to a 60* drilling angle would require decreasing the angle to the VAL from 40* to 30* so the sum of the angles stayed at 90* to accommodate a decrease in axis rotation. That would result in a change in angle ratio from 1.25:1 to 2:1. And, vice versa, if just axis rotation was increased and everything else remained the same. OK?