Mo Says

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Re: Mo Says

Post by JohnP »

From: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6765&view=unread#unread" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No reason it shouldn't work! I set the 10* minimum drilling angle to make sure the migrating PAP had to cross the pin to PAP line. Just a safety feature.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JohnP »

From: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6766&view=unread#unread" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I try to make sure the PAP of the migrating axis goes past the pin to PSA line. This helps the ball to rev up more easily on the back end of the lane
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

from: viewtopic.php?t=6719" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Over/under with I prefer to call wet/dry is cured either of two ways. One by lengthening the hook zone, which is accomplished by lowering the angle ratio, to slow down the ball's response to friction. Second by creating a "hook/stop" reaction. This is accomplished by lowering the angle sum and the angle ratio and by using lots of surface to get the ball into the roll phase early."
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

from: viewtopic.php?t=6804" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The ball doesn't keep the pins low; GRAVITY DOES!!!

The rest is BULL PUCKY!!!!!
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Taken from: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=448&start=40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The standard spare ball (least hooking) layout is to drill the ball with 1/2 oz. negative side on the label. If you want to be anal (like me), drill the ball with the pin 6 3/4" from the PAP on the midline and put the balance hole on the negative axis point to make the side weight legal, if necessary. That's actually the way to make it go the straightest."
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Taken from viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6000&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The flare in the oil vs the flare in the dry tells you where the ball reads the lane. If there's more flare in the dry, the ball reads the back end of the lane more. If there's more flare in the oil, the ball reads the midlane more."
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Taken from viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6000&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"VAL angles are far less significant with shorter pin to PAP distances. Just play on a ball and you'll see."
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JohnP »

From: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=763&hilit=amount+m ... termediate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The amount of movement of the PSA will depend on the intermediate diff. of the undrilled ball. Here are some estimates. If the ball is symmetrical (.000 int. diff.), use the thumb hole as the PSA for Gradient Line Placements. If the int. diff. of the undrilled bal is between .008 and .020, use a spot half way between the marked PSA and the thumb hole as the real PSA for Gradient Line Placements. If the int. diff. is over .020, use the marked PSA for Balance Hole Placements. These are good estimates and will produce good results. A DeTerminator is still the most accurate way to do it. Remember, the larger the volume of the balance hole, the more it will have an effect on the ball motion of the drilled ball.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Taken from: viewtopic.php?t=6710" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (see #8)

In response to the question about the "flat spot", the flat spot is equal to the length of the slide and the distance the knee travels after the foot stops. Lengthening the flat spot can be achieved by lengthening either the slide or the knee continuation, or both. I suggest starting with knee continuation as the best way to increase the "flat spot". Increasing knee continuation tends to slightly increase the length of the slide at the same time.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

From: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7374&p=59667#p59667" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (see #230)

"I word of caution on balls that use the "It" interchangeable thumb. There is no problem, if the collar on the drill is set to the position it comes from the manufacturer. Drill the 1/2" hole in the bottom to exactly the recommended 1" depth. That will always work without needing the pitch the MOtion hole. If you want a bigger margin of error, just drill the MOtion hole only 3 3/4" to the tip of the bit. There will be NO appreciable loss of performance because of the added depth of the hole for the hole for the "It"!"
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Taken from: viewtopic.php?t=3088" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (see #3)

"When a ball flares, it follows the RG contour of the drilled ball. IT IS NOT SEEKING ITS STABLE AXIS. Where the ball is is relation to it's first and second transition will determine where in the phases of ball motion that the ball is."
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Taken from: viewtopic.php?t=7661" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" Increasing the gyroscopic inertia will make the ball retain tilt longer. If you are a bowler that misses into the oil a lot, do a double thumb balance hole. That will make the ball lose tilt sooner. That's the difference between the drillings."
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Taken from: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6086" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (see #17)

"Axis rotation does have a small effect on flare. More axis rotation, which delays transitions, will SLIGHTLY decrease flare."
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JohnP »

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7374&start=440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those numbers may need to be adjusted for a small amount of bowlers to remain flare safe. The ideal location for the MOtion Hole ends up being 1 1/4" from the initial flare ring at least 10" from the pin avoiding the bowtie.

Note: Mo clarified in a later post that the 1 1/4" is measured from the center of the bit.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

from: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7798&p=62035#p62035" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The more radially symmetrical the better for MOtion Holes. If the core has big protrusions below the midplane of the ball, I'd not use the MOtion Hole. Be comfortable using the MOtion Hole with all performance balls from RADICAL, we make sure they are MOtion Hole friendly. Those are my guidelines. Do some research on the core shape before drilling a MOtion Hole layout, or drill a RADICAL ball with confidence."
crashin12x
Positive Axis Point: 5" x 7/8"
Speed: 15.7 MPH Off Hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 18
Axis Rotation: 65
Preferred Company: Hammer, Ebonite and MoRich

Post by crashin12x »

From Topic: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7448&start=20

Here it is in a nut shell:

A Double Thumb Layout will cause the ball to read the friction harder and earlier because it causes the ball to lose axis rotation and tilt earlier.

A MOtion Hole will cause the ball to stay on it axis longer and, therefore, read the pattern late and hard. It hits harder because it reduces deflection.
LHB
PAP 5" over LEFT x 7/8" over UP
Tilt 18*
Speed 16 MPH (Off Hand)
Rev 250 RPM
Rot 65*
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JohnP »

You beat me to it, Crashin! I added it to the Mo Fact Sheet on the wiki also. -- JohnP
crashin12x
Positive Axis Point: 5" x 7/8"
Speed: 15.7 MPH Off Hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 18
Axis Rotation: 65
Preferred Company: Hammer, Ebonite and MoRich

Post by crashin12x »

JohnP wrote:You beat me to it, Crashin! I added it to the Mo Fact Sheet on the wiki also. -- JohnP
:)
LHB
PAP 5" over LEFT x 7/8" over UP
Tilt 18*
Speed 16 MPH (Off Hand)
Rev 250 RPM
Rot 65*
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

All quotes taken from viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7374" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; by kart300.

We have used what we have learned to derive the MOtion Hole layout technique as well as the further development of our patented cores. Gyroscopic inertia! Ball retains axis tilt and rotation longer and deflects less.

The pin position determines the starting reaction to build from.
Pin under = smoothest starting reaction - for more rev. dominant bowlers
Pin in, or beside (depending on PAP) = medium starting reaction
Pin over = strongest starting reaction - for speed dominant or rev. challenged

A small amount of caution has to be taken for extremely high track players. If the bowler tracks very close to the middle finger (within 1/2"), don't use the pin under, drilling. Start with a 9/16" MOtion hole on a pin beside, drilling.

You can use pins above, beside, or under the finger line as long as you keep the pin to PAP distance between 3" and 4 3/4". I like to keep it between 3 and 4 1/2" for most bowlers. For very rev dominant bowlers, I'll go as far as 5", if needed. Outside that range you'll end up with less flare. The results might end up with too much length since the increase in gyroscopic inertia will make the ball stay on its axis longer. Because of the increase in "gyroscopic inertia" created by the MOtion hole, it will add length to the 2nd transition. Increase the ball surface a little to get the ball to come off its axis and you'll wake it up.

The ideal location for the MOtion Hole ends up being 1 1/4" from the initial flare ring at least 10" from the pin avoiding the bowtie. Those numbers may need to be adjusted for a small amount of bowlers to remain flare safe.
Add the MOtion hole to increase backend reaction and better pin action. Start with a 5/8" to 3/4" hole and, then, increase by 1/8ths" 'til you get the desired reaction.

The MOtion Hole is a more powerful tool than people anticipated in some cases. I suggest starting with a smaller hole, then increasing it 'til it's just right.
It's much easier to make a hole bigger, than smaller.

We design symmetrical balls so MOtion Holes are one of the good options. 5 distinct options yield greater versatility.

Here are 5 Yeti layouts including the MOtion Hole Layout.
download/file.php?id=3354
The cutaways explain why each layout rolls the way it does. The attachment shows the value of the patented Yeti core. The future of ball motion is just beginning! Welcome aboard!
Short and fat = smooth motion
Tall and thin = later and a little sharper
MOR = medium drilling
It flops = DT = Early and strong
Wheel = late and strong

What pin position do you use if you have a pap that is around 5" on a sym but changes to 4 7/8 on an ASYM. I'd use above, in, or below the RF with that axis point.

download/file.php?id=3309&mode=view reminders from the drilling advice.

Different core shapes definitely react differently to MOtion Holes. However, not many of them react negatively, just different degrees of positively.

When doing a MOtion hole for asyms., I like the following layouts:
For higher tilt and rev dominant players, I like 90 / 4 / 50
For lower tilt and rev challenged players, I like 85 / 3 1/2 / 35.
Use 11" past the pin as the starting point for a MOtion hole on the line from the PSA thru the pin.
Please keep in mind that we have not yet finalized MOtion Hole layout system for asyms.
Start with a 5/8" hole and increase the size 'til you get the reaction you're looking for.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7817&p=62380#p62380" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Daily maintenance is the key to good coverstock performance. The most important step is to clean the ball thoroughly by hand with a good bowling ball cleaner immediately after each use before the oil can get deep into the coverstock. Preventing deep penetration of the oil into the coverstock is better, easier, and cheaper than trying to remove the oil after it gets deep into the coverstock!