weird axis rotation question

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: weird axis rotation question

Post by elgavachon »

thanks a lot for your time and patience.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

elgavachon wrote:thanks a lot for your time and patience.

My pleasure! I'm still interested in the PAP on the Widow Pearl.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
MattInTheHat
THS Average: 201
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 -> 15/16 ^
Speed: 17-17.5 off hand
Rev Rate: 270
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: TR2
Medium Oil Ball: QZ1 / TX1
Light Oil Ball: RX1
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by MattInTheHat »

Just FYI,

It looks like he has about a 360-400 rev rate (probably closer to 400+), ball speed of 18mph-19mph off hand, with an axis tilt of around 10° and rotation of about 65°-70°. The video isn't real clear so I'm not 100% on the rev rate or ball speed, but these numbers should be in the ballpark.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

MattInTheHat wrote:Just FYI,

It looks like he has about a 360-400 rev rate (probably closer to 400+), ball speed of 18mph-19mph off hand, with an axis tilt of around 10° and rotation of about 65°-70°. The video isn't real clear so I'm not 100% on the rev rate or ball speed, but these numbers should be in the ballpark.
thanks for figuring that out for me. Did you use the spare ball for the 10* of axis tilt?
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

elgavachon wrote: thanks for figuring that out for me. Did you use the spare ball for the 10* of axis tilt?

I believe you measured his tilt at 10 3/4" across the track (19*). Correct?
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Mo Pinel wrote:
My pleasure! I'm still interested in the PAP on the Widow Pearl.
Ya we forgot to measure his oil flares with the armadillo. I wanted to do that and see if the PAP on his widow changed much. Looking at the video , I would guess it had to start out close to his spare ball. I did put a piece of tape on the axis and it looks to me like it is pretty stable for about one rev. The axis tilt as measured on his spare ball was around 19*. It doesn't look that high on the video and MattInTheHat did his magic and said it looked like 10*. When my friend took the video he was laying on the floor with the camera about 6 inches above the lane. If he still has the videos on his laptop he might be able to put them in slow motion and post it again. I will ask him.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

I might have told you wrong. I just talked to my friend, he said the one where he was laying on the floor didn't turn out too good. He will look for it and post it in slow motion if he still has it. He did delete some of them that were really blurry.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

elgavachon wrote: Ya we forgot to measure his oil flares with the armadillo. I wanted to do that and see if the PAP on his widow changed much. Looking at the video , I would guess it had to start out close to his spare ball. I did put a piece of tape on the axis and it looks to me like it is pretty stable for about one rev. The axis tilt as measured on his spare ball was around 19*. It doesn't look that high on the video and MattInTheHat did his magic and said it looked like 10*. When my friend took the video he was laying on the floor with the camera about 6 inches above the lane. If he still has the videos on his laptop he might be able to put them in slow motion and post it again. I will ask him.
The 10 3/4" measurement nails it. That's his tilt.

You said the spare ball had a PAP of 4 1/4 over and 1 1/4 up. My guess at the PAP on the Widow Pearl is 3 1/4 over and 2 1/4 up. Let me know how I did on my guess.
MattInTheHat
THS Average: 201
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 -> 15/16 ^
Speed: 17-17.5 off hand
Rev Rate: 270
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: TR2
Medium Oil Ball: QZ1 / TX1
Light Oil Ball: RX1
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by MattInTheHat »

I did use the plastic ball for measurements, it was the only video shot from the rigjt angle. But the video is a bit blurry and while I think I had the right spot, I might not have. For measuring it would be better to have the video larger / less compressed, I can go frame by frame in my software once I download the video.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Mo Pinel wrote: What is the actual PAP on the widow pearl?

Here's my grip suggestion: MF: 1/4"L by 0 for/rev; FF: 5/8"R by 1/8" rev; MF span: 4 1/8"; RF span: 4 5/16"; Thumb: 5/16"rev by 1/4"R

Put that grip in a flaring bowling ball drilled: 45 / 1 3/4 / 35
It should not need a hole. Please measure the PAP on this ball and the Widow Pearl. We can move forward from there. OK?
sorry it is taking us so long. My friend who is going to drill the ball works 300 miles away from the bowling alley 8 days on 6 days off and last night he was away. It will be next week before he comes back. My friend with the weird axis didn't bring the widow pearl to leagues. He did have a hogzsilla. I threw the armadillo on it and got an axis of 3 7/16 over 3/4 up. Next week he will bring his widow so I can get the axis. Which ball would work best to test the drilling on out of these: Power Swing, The One Pearl, Awesome Finish? The Awesome Finish has a 4 1/2 inch pin with cg to the right 2 1/2 inches. I think they all had around 3 oz top wt before drilling. We would have to plug them for more accuracy. No determinator.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

elgavachon wrote: sorry it is taking us so long. My friend who is going to drill the ball works 300 miles away from the bowling alley 8 days on 6 days off and last night he was away. It will be next week before he comes back. My friend with the weird axis didn't bring the widow pearl to leagues. He did have a hogzsilla. I threw the armadillo on it and got an axis of 3 7/16 over 3/4 up. Next week he will bring his widow so I can get the axis. Which ball would work best to test the drilling on out of these: Power Swing, The One Pearl, Awesome Finish? The Awesome Finish has a 4 1/2 inch pin with cg to the right 2 1/2 inches. I think they all had around 3 oz top wt before drilling. We would have to plug them for more accuracy. No determinator.
The One Pearl is a MOR asymmetrical (elliptical in this case) so it would yield representative results. Let's try that one. If you need to plug it, please do so and let me know TW and pin out after the ball is plugged.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

O.k we will do it.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME