Speed: 15.5
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 70
Medium Oil Ball: Pink Panther

A Video of Me!

Post by Adrenaline »

Ok, finally got it all done.
Think I got everything covered in the video.
Pap is 5" over, 1" up

I'm looking for a ball and layout that will let me play in the oil. I can't get away from the second arrow with any success.

Pre-Video Mo recommended this: mania 40 3 1/4 20 with a p4 wt hole and sanded to 360. But I wasn't in a rush, so I wanted to get all my specs looked at, with a solid video for reference before making the decision.

I'm open to all thoughts, criticism, tips, as well as all ball companies. I have a Brunswick Siege that will be here Thursday, and I'm ready to buy whatever you suggest and have it drilled up!

The one thing I did notice in the video is my timing with my push off, and first step don't always occur at the same time, and I think that's effecting my consistency, so I'm gunna work on that tomorrow night in league.

Anyways here it is:

[youtube][/youtube]\

Thanks to Mo, and any/all others who are willing to comment, good or bad.
Kenny
MattCosta7
THS Average: 200
Heavy Oil Ball: Mania 40* x 4.25" x 30* P3.5 1000 Sia
Medium Oil Ball: Evil Siege 45 x 4 x 35* 2000
Light Oil Ball: Cherry Vibe 50* x 4.5" x 45* P2 4000 + FF + Extender
Preferred Company: MoRich, Hammer, Roto, Bruns

Re: A Video of Me!

Post by MattCosta7 »

Bend that front knee!

It'll give you much better leverage and balance. Which will increase your shotmaking skills exponentially!

I'll take a more detailed look later
cgeorg
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/2 x 1/2

Post by cgeorg »

It looks like you are really trying to hit it at the bottom. I notice your head bob down at the release from all of the force you are trying to apply to the ball. As Ron Clifton has said, the force is NOT with you. Try to loosen up your arm, loosen up your swing, and let the ball roll off your hand. That should help with consistency, and opening up the lane a bit.
CMGBB - Bowling tips
BowlSK - Bowling score keeper and stats tracker
My BowlSK

That my boy... that's pro quality.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

Adrenaline wrote:Ok, finally got it all done.
Think I got everything covered in the video.
Pap is 5" over, 1" up

I'm looking for a ball and layout that will let me play in the oil. I can't get away from the second arrow with any success.

Pre-Video Mo recommended this: mania 40 3 1/4 20 with a p4 wt hole and sanded to 360. But I wasn't in a rush, so I wanted to get all my specs looked at, with a solid video for reference before making the decision.

I'm open to all thoughts, criticism, tips, as well as all ball companies. I have a Brunswick Siege that will be here Thursday, and I'm ready to buy whatever you suggest and have it drilled up!

The one thing I did notice in the video is my timing with my push off, and first step don't always occur at the same time, and I think that's effecting my consistency, so I'm gunna work on that tomorrow night in league.

Anyways here it is:

[youtube][/youtube]\

Thanks to Mo, and any/all others who are willing to comment, good or bad.
Kenny
Matt got it right. It IS OK to bend your knee! Hold your balance with your right foot on the ground 'til the ball hits the pins on every shot for the rest of your life and you'll be a better bowler!

I can help with the push away (I cringe when I use that word) timing by using the shift/bowl technique. That timing issue is inherent in almost half of the four step bowlers.

The mania will work well with the Siege. It will hook a litle more and have a little more continuation. Use my recommended layout. please.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

what is the shift/bowl technique?
What is the timing issue?
MattCosta7

Post by MattCosta7 »

elgavachon wrote:what is the shift/bowl technique?
What is the timing issue?
I believe the timing issue is an inconsistent pushaway spot amongst many 4 steppers. Starting the feet and the ball a fraction apart between shots is common.

Shift bowl, as I've heard, is a 5 step method. Basically, shift slide foot forward/put weight on it, and then bowl. May not be what Mo has in mind though.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

I see a slight pause as his right heel hits the approach right before his left hand leaves the ball. Is this what you call an inconsistency?
MattCosta7

Post by MattCosta7 »

elgavachon wrote:I see a slight pause as his right heel hits the approach right before his left hand leaves the ball. Is this what you call an inconsistency?
Compare multiple shots. There's a difference, shot-to-shot, in getting the ball started compared to getting the feet started.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

I thought the pause evened that out. Kind of like a three step which didn't start until left heal on second step. So right now the first step of the four is a timing step for a three step approach and he should go to a five step (kind of) . Right now it looks like his timing from his left heal is pretty consistent. by going to a five you are trying to make his timing on his right foot better?
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by kellytehuna »

The shift/bowl techique is a method of getting some momentum going, however small it might be, before you move the ball. 5 step approaches have this inherently, but 4 step approaches can replicate this.

Mo informed me last week, that bowling requires 5 counts to get a good tempo. So, how do you achieve that with a 4 step approach? Simple! You start with the majority of your weight on the back foot, then "shift" your weight to your front foot BEFORE you take first step. This gives you a small amount of momentum from to get the ball moving easier and establish good timing with your first step. Think of it as a pseudo step.

Mo taught me this last week and I swear I saw immediate improvement in timing. Improved timing gave me improved balance at the line. As is so common in this sport, you fix one thing and you actually end up improving other things as well.
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

thanks you guys
this is almost a video of me. that is why I am so interested in understanding your ideas.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

You guys work on it. You start with your feet staggered, at least the length of your foot, with all the weight on your push off foot. Shift your weight (don't move your foot) slowly and smoothly to your slide foot, then put the ball in motion. This helps immensely in overcoming inertia. The major draw back to the four step approach. Dave Davis has always done it this way and he was one of the smoothest bowlers of all time.
MathIsTruth
Industry Professional
Industry Professional
Preferred Company: MoRich/Radical

Post by MathIsTruth »

Mo Pinel wrote:
You guys work on it. You start with your feet staggered, at least the length of your foot, with all the weight on your push off foot. Shift your weight (don't move your foot) slowly and smoothly to your slide foot, then put the ball in motion. This helps immensely in overcoming inertia. The major draw back to the four step approach. Dave Davis has always done it this way and he was one of the smoothest bowlers of all time.

This approach definitely helped me!!
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

One thing I noticed is that your slide foot is not pointing directly toward your target, it's at about a 30* angle toward the right. That creates torque in your lower body and can make your slide inconsistent, pulling you off target. It also makes it more difficult to get the deep knee bend others have recommended. -- JhnP
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

JohnP wrote:One thing I noticed is that your slide foot is not pointing directly toward your target, it's at about a 30* angle toward the right. That creates torque in your lower body and can make your slide inconsistent, pulling you off target. It also makes it more difficult to get the deep knee bend others have recommended. -- JhnP
Good spot. I am, however, familiar with some bowlers that can slide that way consistently. Back angle has something to do with it, also. More and more bowlers are waist bend bowlers, which I'm a fan of, if you keep your butt back. Using more knee bend and longer may turn the foot slightly. Cause and effect.
Adrenaline
Positive Axis Point: 5>1^
Medium Oil Ball: Pink Panther

Post by Adrenaline »

Good stuff, at the end of the video I explained that I usually have my trailing foot on the floor with a deeper (only a little, I'll be honest) knee bend, but I was trying to make sure I wasn't in the way of the camera. I didn't realize until I got home and loaded the video's that I wasn't close to in the way.

Anyone have insight to what my Speed, Rev Rate, Tilt and rotation are, so that I can write them down for future reference?
I'll be ordering up a Mania soon Mo, and I'll get a video for results.
Tonight during league I'll be paying more attention to my initial timing, because I never noticed until watching this video, that my feet and hand had variations from throw to throw. I always used a 5 step, but when I completely overhauled my approach to be more "textbook" the 4 step was the way to go, to match timing up.

This* video is from 2 years ago now, where I used a 5 step, and my trailing leg use to be WAY in the air. After posting this video on a site back then, is when I was told I had some issues, I decided to start from scratch, and the 4 Step was the recommendation I got, from the research and studying I did.
*[youtube][/youtube]

Final question for Mo.
For the Mania, you said to get a 4" pin, and a low top weight. How low is low? And is this still the proper pin distance after seeing the video?
Thanks,
Kenny
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

Adrenaline wrote:Good stuff, at the end of the video I explained that I usually have my trailing foot on the floor with a deeper (only a little, I'll be honest) knee bend, but I was trying to make sure I wasn't in the way of the camera. I didn't realize until I got home and loaded the video's that I wasn't close to in the way.

Anyone have insight to what my Speed, Rev Rate, Tilt and rotation are, so that I can write them down for future reference?
I'll be ordering up a Mania soon Mo, and I'll get a video for results.
Tonight during league I'll be paying more attention to my initial timing, because I never noticed until watching this video, that my feet and hand had variations from throw to throw. I always used a 5 step, but when I completely overhauled my approach to be more "textbook" the 4 step was the way to go, to match timing up.

This* video is from 2 years ago now, where I used a 5 step, and my trailing leg use to be WAY in the air. After posting this video on a site back then, is when I was told I had some issues, I decided to start from scratch, and the 4 Step was the recommendation I got, from the research and studying I did.
*[youtube][/youtube]

Final question for Mo.
For the Mania, you said to get a 4" pin, and a low top weight. How low is low? And is this still the proper pin distance after seeing the video?
Thanks,
Kenny

TW under 2.9 oz. And I said a 4"+ pin. Still the right choice.
MattInTheHat
THS Average: 201
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 -> 15/16 ^
Speed: 17-17.5 off hand
Rev Rate: 270
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: TR2
Medium Oil Ball: QZ1 / TX1
Light Oil Ball: RX1
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by MattInTheHat »

The video quality is a bit low (especially after converting from Youtube FLV to mpg) so these numbers might be off some. The video also had some dropped frames which could be affecting these numbers, so I'm giving them as a range based on multiple looks at the clips. I compared two different rolls (the 2nd and 3rd with tape from PAP to fingers) and used the Bowlspot.com calculator for speed and revs. I tried enhancing the video / still shot as much as I could (mostly just to find the true edges of the ball)...unlike on TV when you start with a lower quality you usually end up with less detail afterwards, not more.

Axis Rotation: approx. 70°
Axis Tilt: approx. 7°
Revs: 225-250
Speed: 16.5mph - 17.5mph
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

MattInTheHat wrote:The video quality is a bit low (especially after converting from Youtube FLV to mpg) so these numbers might be off some. The video also had some dropped frames which could be affecting these numbers, so I'm giving them as a range based on multiple looks at the clips. I compared two different rolls (the 2nd and 3rd with tape from PAP to fingers) and used the Bowlspot.com calculator for speed and revs. I tried enhancing the video / still shot as much as I could (mostly just to find the true edges of the ball)...unlike on TV when you start with a lower quality you usually end up with less detail afterwards, not more.

Axis Rotation: approx. 70°
Axis Tilt: approx. 7°
Revs: 225-250
Speed: 16.5mph - 17.5mph
FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adrenaline
Positive Axis Point: 5>1^