How should I drill these?

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

Motogp69

Re: How should I drill these?

Post by Motogp69 »

MattCosta7 wrote:3* tilt would mean that you have very little axis tilt. It means that you will need to use layouts that assist in retaining tilt, in order to maximize carry.

It will mean that every revolution of the ball covers more surface, typically leading to an earlier read on the lane, and a smoother hook motion once it encounters friction.

It will also assist in making you more Rev Dominant than speed dominant. This is in addition to the RPM/Speed differences.
What type of layouts are these visually in terms of pin and mb placement on a standard ball? Pin up/Pin Down, how far away from the PAP? I"m going to use Mo's suggestion, but I was just curious what it looks like using my general knowledge of layouts. Still trying to rap my head around the Dual Angle Technique.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

Motogp69 wrote: What type of layouts are these visually in terms of pin and mb placement on a standard ball? Pin up/Pin Down, how far away from the PAP? I"m going to use Mo's suggestion, but I was just curious what it looks like using my general knowledge of layouts. Still trying to rap my head around the Dual Angle Technique.
I only respond in "Dual Angle" terminology because of its' accuracy! Thanks.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

smaller drilling angles place mb closer to val or past it depending on how small. large drilling angles are closer to thumb or past it depending on how large. small val angle place pin closer to pap while large val angles place pin at fingers or below depending on how large the val angle.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

elgavachon wrote:smaller drilling angles place mb closer to val or past it depending on how small. large drilling angles are closer to thumb or past it depending on how large. small val angle place pin closer to pap while large val angles place pin at fingers or below depending on how large the val angle.
That should be "small VAL angles place pin closer to the VAL".
Motogp69

Post by Motogp69 »

Just wanted to thank Mo for the suggested drilling on the Hy-Road. I haven't had a ball read the lane that well and not over react in a very long time. I can't wait to get my Reign of Fire with the double thumb. I can see why your time and advice is so sought after.

Thanks.
Motogp69

Post by Motogp69 »

Mo, after the difference in ball reaction I saw with the Hy-Road I'm thinking of re-drilling my Freeze. Any suggestions on a layout for that ball?

How do yo ufeel about the love urethane has been getting lately and if so how should I drill up a Natural?

I'm really looking to fill out a 6 ball arsenal, so wit the Hy-Road, Reign of Fire, and Freeze what should I throw in there and how should I drill them up?
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

Motogp69 wrote:Mo, after the difference in ball reaction I saw with the Hy-Road I'm thinking of re-drilling my Freeze. Any suggestions on a layout for that ball?

How do yo ufeel about the love urethane has been getting lately and if so how should I drill up a Natural?

I'm really looking to fill out a 6 ball arsenal, so wit the Hy-Road, Reign of Fire, and Freeze what should I throw in there and how should I drill them up?

Glad the HyRoad rolled the way you wanted. I can help you with your 6 ball arsenal. I need some data. Please re-post your delivery specs. And the layouts you are using in your current arsenal. I noticed that the three balls you mention are ALL symmetrical before drilling. Expanding the spectrum should involve at least one asymmetrical and maybe a Natural. You want the widest possible usable spectrum to be most effective. Post what i need and I'd be glads to help.
Motogp69

Post by Motogp69 »

Mo Pinel wrote:
Glad the HyRoad rolled the way you wanted. I can help you with your 6 ball arsenal. I need some data. Please re-post your delivery specs. And the layouts you are using in your current arsenal. I noticed that the three balls you mention are ALL symmetrical before drilling. Expanding the spectrum should involve at least one asymmetrical and maybe a Natural. You want the widest possible usable spectrum to be most effective. Post what i need and I'd be glads to help.
Here are my stats
Ball Speed: 18.5 mph (in the heads)
Rev Rate: 450 rpm
PAP: 4 7/8 over 1/2 up
Axis Rotation: 45 deg
Axis Tilt: 3 deg

Currently I have:
Hy-Road which is drilled: 70 by 4 1/2 by 40 with a P2 hole (2000)
Reign of Fire: Double Thumb (1000)
Freeze: Don't know the Dual Angle layout, just know that it's pin above ring finger w/MB to the right of the thumb
Roto Mercury: Also Pin above ring w/MB right of the thumb (spare ball/fried lanes ball)

Thanks
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

Motogp69 wrote: Here are my stats
Ball Speed: 18.5 mph (in the heads)
Rev Rate: 450 rpm
PAP: 4 7/8 over 1/2 up
Axis Rotation: 45 deg
Axis Tilt: 3 deg

Currently I have:
Hy-Road which is drilled: 70 by 4 1/2 by 40 with a P2 hole (2000)
Reign of Fire: Double Thumb (1000)
Freeze: Don't know the Dual Angle layout, just know that it's pin above ring finger w/MB to the right of the thumb
Roto Mercury: Also Pin above ring w/MB right of the thumb (spare ball/fried lanes ball)

Thanks
Good info! I'll suggest a layout for a urethane ball first. Urethane is used to play more direct without a wet/dry reaction. It's: 60 / 4 / 35 with a P2 hole.

For asymmetrical, I'll suggest two MoRich balls (my privilege on this forum). The most valuble one to you would be: a Craze drilled 75 / 3 / 40 with a P2 hole. This should give you a reaction you will like with the carry of an asymmetrical ball. For heavy, heavy oil drill a mania: 60 / 3 1/4 / 30 with a P3 hole. The mania can be very useful opening up the lane on many conditions by adjusting the surface.
Motogp69

Post by Motogp69 »

Mo Pinel wrote: Good info! I'll suggest a layout for a urethane ball first. Urethane is used to play more direct without a wet/dry reaction. It's: 60 / 4 / 35 with a P2 hole.

For asymmetrical, I'll suggest two MoRich balls (my privilege on this forum). The most valuble one to you would be: a Craze drilled 75 / 3 / 40 with a P2 hole. This should give you a reaction you will like with the carry of an asymmetrical ball. For heavy, heavy oil drill a mania: 60 / 3 1/4 / 30 with a P3 hole. The mania can be very useful opening up the lane on many conditions by adjusting the surface.

Would you re-drill the Freeze? and if so what would you suggest on the layout?
Motogp69

Post by Motogp69 »

For those that are familiar with the Morich balls that Mo suggested, I am able to get: Brunswick, Rotogrip, and Storm balls at a significant discount through a friend. Are there any in these lines that would be similiar or could accomplish what Mo was wanting them to do in my lineup?

It has nothing to do with Morich balls, because currently have 3 of them in my reserves and I know the type of quality Mo produces, it's just times are tight and I need to save money where I can.
cgeorg
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/2 x 1/2

Post by cgeorg »

Invasion or C-System 3.5 would be subs for the Mania. A benchmark asymmetric ball could probably fit in the Craze slot. Most of Storm's stuff at that point is symmetric, though a Virtual Energy might work out. C-System 2.5 from Bruns would probably fit. I don't think Roto has an asymmetric at that level - Cell Pearl is about all I can think of, and both that and the VE are probably going to have a little less up front than the Craze.
CMGBB - Bowling tips
BowlSK - Bowling score keeper and stats tracker
My BowlSK

That my boy... that's pro quality.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

cgeorg wrote:Invasion or C-System 3.5 would be subs for the Mania. A benchmark asymmetric ball could probably fit in the Craze slot. Most of Storm's stuff at that point is symmetric, though a Virtual Energy might work out. C-System 2.5 from Bruns would probably fit. I don't think Roto has an asymmetric at that level - Cell Pearl is about all I can think of, and both that and the VE are probably going to have a little less up front than the Craze.
Don't forget the Mutant Cell.
MattCosta7
THS Average: 200
Heavy Oil Ball: Mania 40* x 4.25" x 30* P3.5 1000 Sia
Medium Oil Ball: Evil Siege 45 x 4 x 35* 2000
Light Oil Ball: Cherry Vibe 50* x 4.5" x 45* P2 4000 + FF + Extender
Preferred Company: MoRich, Hammer, Roto, Bruns

Post by MattCosta7 »

cgeorg wrote: A benchmark asymmetric ball could probably fit in the Craze slot.

I don't think Roto has an asymmetric at that level - Cell Pearl is about all I can think of, and both that and the VE are probably going to have a little less up front than the Craze.
Rogue Cell - > craze (instead of cell pearl)

Alittle stronger covered than the cell pearl, so it'll read the lane earlier and more continuously.
Motogp69

Post by Motogp69 »

MattCosta7 wrote: Rogue Cell - > craze (instead of cell pearl)

Alittle stronger covered than the cell pearl, so it'll read the lane earlier and more continuously.
Okay that works, I'm getting a Rogue Cell for free and if that will work that saves me the price of one ball.

I've been wanting to give the Big B a try again and they seem to have a winner with the 3.5. So which should I go with Invasion or 3.5?
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

Motogp69 wrote: Okay that works, I'm getting a Rogue Cell for free and if that will work that saves me the price of one ball.

I've been wanting to give the Big B a try again and they seem to have a winner with the 3.5. So which should I go with Invasion or 3.5?
Both good balls. My personal choice is the 3.5 if a MoRich mania is not an option.
Motogp69

Post by Motogp69 »

Both good balls. My personal choice is the 3.5 if a MoRich mania is not an option.
Mo, just wanted to say thanks once again. I got my double thumb drilled Reign of Fire today, and I can see why the double thumb is such a popular drilling. I can't wait to try it on a sport pattern on Monday. We're going to put it through the torture test on a 42 foot flat pattern.