Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Re: Mo, Question about drill layout for Frenzy and Craze

Post by Mo Pinel »

Wuzlow wrote:Wow, I guess I never saw the drill angle with a short pin distance like that coming. I just read the axis rotation influence thread and the dual angle sweet spot article on bowling Wiki. I have some questions about the the layout you chose for the 3.5 for using at nationals and fresh PBA patterns.

The reason I have the questions is because of what I have drilled now. I have a Siege drilled 50/4/50 (OOB) and and Evil Siege drilled 50/4/35 (2000 abralon). I love the reaction I get from both balls, especially the Evil, because it works great for the THS and broken down sport patterns for me. So my thinking I thought that a little smaller drill angle would be great on fresh sport patterns.

Won't the 75 drilling angle make the ball go super long? Also, wont a shorter pin distance make me possibly flare over the P3?

With the Evil and the P3 I put in, I flared over the P3 hole and had to move it slightly closer towards my mid grip (suggested by you Mo, and It worked! Thank you for that).

I'd love to learn more about this, and thought I was getting the hang of it, but I guess I need some more learning! :D

Can you help me understand this, Mo? Thanks!
If you flare the ball that much, cut the flare just slightly by using a 2 3/4" pin to PAP distance on asymmetrical balls. Use a 4 1/4" pin to PAP distance on symmetrical balls. The reason I suggested the 75 degree drilling angle is my knowledge of the 3.5. Use more surface, if necessary, to make it pick up sooner. Notice I recommended 1000 surface. The key is your 7* of tilt. The sum of the angles recommended is 100* (on the lower end of your range).
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
Wuzlow
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 5" by 5/8'' up
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: NeXXus
Medium Oil Ball: Wicked Siege
Light Oil Ball: Damage
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by Wuzlow »

I know since I have low axis tilt and that I need to retain it longer (that's what the tilt chart says). So the drilling angle dictates how long axis tilt is held, right? I don't know how much it matters, but I actually have 10* of tilt. Will 3* (since you said I had 7*) make much difference on the drilling angle?
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

Wuzlow wrote:I know since I have low axis tilt and that I need to retain it longer (that's what the tilt chart says). So the drilling angle dictates how long axis tilt is held, right? I don't know how much it matters, but I actually have 10* of tilt. Will 3* (since you said I had 7*) make much difference on the drilling angle?
A little!
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)