Broken Down/Dry Lane Suggestions

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

twelvexs
Preferred Company: Not Sure Yet...

Broken Down/Dry Lane Suggestions

Post by twelvexs »

Hello. Looking for equipment suggestions on dry lane/broken down shots like Cheetah (or similar short patterns) or nationals when late in doubles or moving to singles pair.

Open to suggestions about anything that might work. Slingshot, Natural Pearl, 300C?

Any layout suggestions? I'm thinking close pin-PAP, but if urethane, is that too weak with my limited rev rate? Any thoughts appreciated!!

My Info:
PAP: 5" over up 1 5/8"
Ball speed at release: 17.5mph (at foul line, measured)
Rev at release: ~325rpm (measured on video at release)
Axis Rotation: 45 degree
Axis Tilt: 17 degree

Thanks!
StrikeTheory
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Heavy Oil Ball: Motiv Cruel or Mutant Cell Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Rising Star
Light Oil Ball: Silver Recon or Frenzy

Re: Broken Down/Dry Lane Suggestions

Post by StrikeTheory »

Today's urethane is not yesterday's urethane. The Grenade, and Natural can be very aggressive balls, with the right layout, and bowler. If you can convince a local house to drop the pattern out for you, try some of your medium RG equipment with some delayed reaction. The slip agents give you that extra 3-5 feet to help you play a line you will be more comfortable with.
twelvexs
Preferred Company: Not Sure Yet...

Post by twelvexs »

I have a Craze and Perpetual Motion that I could plug, polish, and re-drill as well. Would those be better options?

Also, thinking out loud, would a 1-2 punch be better? Say a weak/polished reactive with a control or skid/snap drill plus a urethane for the short stuff be an option in anyone's eyes?

Just trying to put together a 5-ball arsenal. I've got a solid benchmark, heavy-roll, and DT for the medium to slick stuff. Its the other end that I have a harder time with.

I am OK on the tighter/slicker conditions, but it's when the lanes are fried that my previous stuff checked at my feet or was DOA at the pocket from inside lines. Just looking for a fresh direction.

Thanks again for any suggestions!
river800
THS Average: 202
Preferred Company: Storm/radical

Post by river800 »

You could take a look at the brunswick sling shot or a avalanche urethane pearl (new one). The perpetual motion can be used on lighter amounts of oil but not really the dry stuff.

As far as a layout, I have you matched speed and revs with medium tilt and rotation. So total of 90 + or -20 with ratios of 1.8:1 - 1:1.2. I lowered the total from 100 to 90 due to your medium tilt. Pins of 3"-4" symm and 3.5"-5.5" asymm to pap.

Benchmark layouts, ratio of 1.3:1
Symm 55 x 3.5 x 35
Asymm 50 x 3.5 x 40

For a layout for the lighter oil/broken down stuff you could do a sling shot with something like 70 x 2 1/2 x 40. As far as a second ball, maybe a natural? Wait for Mo or Kelly though as they know this stuff a little better.
Stats:
Right handed
Pap is 4 3/4 x 3/8 up currently
Speed around 16.5 off hand
Tilt in the 14-16* range
Rev rate: around 325 - 350 or so
Axis rotation in the 25-70* range
I bowl on Brunswick synthetics. Ths...
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Looks to me like River is close. For your asymmetrical benchmark, I think Mo will use a little longer pin to pap. I would guess 4.25-4.5.
I like the slingshot or the natural for the cheetah. When you are playing deep on scorched lanes, have you tried a long & strong drilling on an asymmetrical? You might be able to use a little more texture.
jbungard
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
THS Average: 209
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/4" over, 3/8" up
Speed: 17 foul line, 15 pindeck
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Ridiculous Asymetrical
Medium Oil Ball: Radical Guru Limited
Light Oil Ball: Radical Rack Attack Solid
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by jbungard »

Mojave, Slingshot and 300C are excellent for dry and short patterns.

For nationals, minors after team and 2nd and 3rd minors squads, I've had better success with shiny symmetrics that recover well when reaching the drier track area downlane (but not so strong as to jump when reaching the dry). Last year I used a Lane Masters Buzz Attack drilled 45x3.75"x45 with a P1 weight hole with good success for the 11:40 am doubles/singles squad: 4th arrow to track early and 5th arrow to track later. I had hold as well as good recovery when I leaked right a bit.
My specs: 15 pound equipment, PAP is 5 1/4" over and 3/8" up, ball speed 17 mph at release, 14 1/2 to 15 mph down lane, 13 degrees of axis tilt, 45 degrees of axis rotation, 330 rpm, for my normal release.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

twelvexs wrote:I have a Craze and Perpetual Motion that I could plug, polish, and re-drill as well. Would those be better options?

Also, thinking out loud, would a 1-2 punch be better? Say a weak/polished reactive with a control or skid/snap drill plus a urethane for the short stuff be an option in anyone's eyes?

Just trying to put together a 5-ball arsenal. I've got a solid benchmark, heavy-roll, and DT for the medium to slick stuff. Its the other end that I have a harder time with.

I am OK on the tighter/slicker conditions, but it's when the lanes are fried that my previous stuff checked at my feet or was DOA at the pocket from inside lines. Just looking for a fresh direction.

Thanks again for any suggestions!

Leave the Craze and PERPETUAL alone. They both have too much cover, if they're bone dry. I like the symmetrical control layout for the Sling Shot. Use a medium layout on the urethane because it will NOT read the pattern as much as reactive.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)