Pin Distance Question

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

twelvexs
Preferred Company: Not Sure Yet...

Pin Distance Question

Post by twelvexs »

Hello. Been lurking for a while and have a question. What factors determine what good Pin-PAP distances are for a particular bowler/style? Maybe that question is too broad or I've overlooked the info in the reading I've done on the Wiki.

For example one might be (or have been suggested maybe is a better description):
Asymmetrical Layouts: use a 3"-4.5" Pin-PAP
Symmetrical Layouts: use a 2"-3.25" Pin-PAP

I know that moving the Pin-PAP longer (in asymmetrical layouts) will cause the ball to roll sooner vise more side roll with a closer measurement. Also I get the concept of how distance changes track flare and thus 'traction' with regards to where the breakpoint will occur.

But how does one determine that aspect; one's 'sweet spot' ranges of Pin-PAP position? What happens if you go outside those 'ranges'? Uncontrollable ball reaction? Rolling over holes? Are these related to tilt, rotation, or both?

Sorry if this is a repeat question. Thanks everyone for your great posts on a number of topics.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Re: Pin Distance Question

Post by Mo Pinel »

twelvexs wrote:Hello. Been lurking for a while and have a question. What factors determine what good Pin-PAP distances are for a particular bowler/style? Maybe that question is too broad or I've overlooked the info in the reading I've done on the Wiki.

For example one might be (or have been suggested maybe is a better description):

I know that moving the Pin-PAP longer (in asymmetrical layouts) will cause the ball to roll sooner vise more side roll with a closer measurement. Also I get the concept of how distance changes track flare and thus 'traction' with regards to where the breakpoint will occur.

But how does one determine that aspect; one's 'sweet spot' ranges of Pin-PAP position? What happens if you go outside those 'ranges'? Uncontrollable ball reaction? Rolling over holes? Are these related to tilt, rotation, or both?

Sorry if this is a repeat question. Thanks everyone for your great posts on a number of topics.

This is all shown in the flare charts in the Wiki. There is one for asyms. and one for syms. Mostly pin to PAP distance controls the flare of the drilled ball. On asyms., it also controls shape. The info is in the legends on the flare charts. I know they're in the Dual Angle article in the Wiki and on http://www.morichbowling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by kellytehuna »

twelvexs wrote:Hello. Been lurking for a while and have a question. What factors determine what good Pin-PAP distances are for a particular bowler/style? Maybe that question is too broad or I've overlooked the info in the reading I've done on the Wiki.

If I understand your question correctly, you're asking what the determining factors are for our recommendations for a Pin-PAP range for a specific bowler. The main determinant is the bowler's axis tilt and it's relationship to their axis rotation.
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
twelvexs
Preferred Company: Not Sure Yet...

Post by twelvexs »

Kellytehuna,

Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I was looking for! I understand Mo's comment and I reviewed the material, but I was looking for how those numbers are derived.

Thanks again for the reply!