Pure Swing w/ Dbl Thumb layout...

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

stopncrank

Pure Swing w/ Dbl Thumb layout...

Post by stopncrank »

I drilled a Pure Swing a couple months ago, after talking it over with my pro shop guy and taking a look at other pieces in my arsenal he suggested we go Double Thumb to get me a different look than what I had with my other stuff.

Well long story short, this just hasnt been as much ball as i expected. I was expecting it to be a tad under my Virtual Gravity strength wise and it is nowhere close.

What I expected was a ball that was strong throughout the whole lane, what I ended up with is a ball that is for Medium oiled lanes at best. I have tried the cover at various surfaces, and as a last resort Im gonna try taking it 500, 1000, then some polish and see if it helps. Also, it has been in a Rejuvinator so its not oil soaked.

I guess my questions is, was this a poor choice of ball to try a DBL Thumb layout?

In general my specs are:

Ball Speed: 17-18 Qubica
Rev rate: 400-425 rpm
Axis Rotation: Med-High
Axis Tilt: Medium
Slap
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Re: Pure Swing w/ Dbl Thumb layout...

Post by Slap »

The Pure Swing was a medium ball by design. The Full Swing was the more aggressive ball in that line. Add surface to ball, without polish, and see how it rolls. The core specs were 2.52 RG, a .056 Diff and a .015 intermediate Diff so it has a decent engine.
The Kid

Post by The Kid »

How confident are the PAP measurements you used?
How large is the weight hole?
odddood
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 and 0
Speed: 16 mph
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Vivid /Rex
Medium Oil Ball: Yeti
Light Oil Ball: IQ Tour
Preferred Company: Radical / Motive / Storm

Post by odddood »

Pure Swing is Not a Hook Monster is a good med-light to med heavy ball but with you rev you should be able to use it on heavy Oil lane.

what Pin distance on the swing? and hole big and deep is the Hole?
chadp223
Preferred Company: roto grip

Post by chadp223 »

Remember this ball does not have a super cover like your virtual gravity so its not gonna be close. Coverstock and prep are 75% of ball reaction...
stopncrank

Post by stopncrank »

The pin distance is 4.5". My pap is 5" over and .5" down.

This places the pin above my ring finger, and the hole is 3/4".

What im seeing is kinda what others have said, its just not a hook monster. It is getting a decent ammount of flare, im just not seeing that strong movement that I have seen with other balls/bowlers using that drilling. Im still gonna try polishing it a tad to see if i can get a little more pop on the back from it.
river800
THS Average: 202
Preferred Company: Storm/radical

Post by river800 »

stopncrank wrote:The pin distance is 4.5". My pap is 5" over and .5" down.

This places the pin above my ring finger, and the hole is 3/4".

What im seeing is kinda what others have said, its just not a hook monster. It is getting a decent ammount of flare, im just not seeing that strong movement that I have seen with other balls/bowlers using that drilling. Im still gonna try polishing it a tad to see if i can get a little more pop on the back from it.
Or, you could use this pure swing for medium conditions when you need that look and then get a ball with a super cover like a storm marvel, full swing, Morich destroyR or RipR, or even a roto grip theory with the db as some suggestion to use on the heavier stuff?
Stats:
Right handed
Pap is 4 3/4 x 3/8 up currently
Speed around 16.5 off hand
Tilt in the 14-16* range
Rev rate: around 325 - 350 or so
Axis rotation in the 25-70* range
I bowl on Brunswick synthetics. Ths...