Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Paradox 120 x 2 1/4 x 60
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour 60 x 5 x 40
Light Oil Ball: Joy Rid 70 x 2 1/4 x 70
Preferred Company: Hammer / Roto / MoRich

Drilling options for long oil sport pattern

Post by ChicoMelo »

I am a high track low tilt bowler. My PAP is 6 and 1/8 up my tilt is very low. My speed is 19 mph and my rev rate is 375. I am looking for some drilling layout options for bowling on a long oil sport pattern. I am left handed and we bowl 4 game blocks so I don't see much transition. I am looking for some drilling layout and ball options for bowling on Anvil Synthetics and wood lanes.
J_w73
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" over 1/4" up
Speed: 17 mph
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 45+
Heavy Oil Ball: Idol, Show-off
Medium Oil Ball: Venom Shock, Rhodman,
Light Oil Ball: Phobia, White Hot Badger

Re: Drilling options for long oil sport pattern

Post by J_w73 »

Alot of people are going to recommend the normal high flaring dull oiler drilling..
If you want to give something else a try that has worked for me find a skid flip ball and drill it so that it will transition the latest and quickest.. I took a visionary green gargoyle with a 5.5 " pin to pap and really close to the val.. the ball is the quickest, most angular , snappy ball I have seen.. I used it succesfully on the shark and us open pattern..
if you are looking for something to move on the backend you need something that will transition the quickest when it hits dry since there isn't much distance for the ball to have a chance to move before it hits the pins...

If you want a smooth rolling move to the pocket then go with a duller ball with an earlier rolling drill

Here is what Mo recommends for a long flat flood

"For the long flat flood, you definitely need an early transitioning ball, small sum of the angles, large flare, and a big P4 balance hole with enough surface"

just depends on your style of play..
Volume of oil will make a difference on what you can use as well..
Right Handed, 16-17 mph off hand (14 -15 mph on Qubica reading) ,350 rpm,PAP 4 3/4 x 1/4 up, 17 deg axis tilt, varied rotational axis deg.. usually 45+
Book Average 210+
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13

Post by JohnP »

Best advice I can give you is slow the ball down. Our PAP's are almost identical, mine is 5 15/16 over and 3/16 up, but my speed is so much slower than yours (13 - 14 mph on Qubica) that I couldn't advise you from experience on layouts and there are others much more qualified than I am to do it from theory. My only suggestion would be to carefully read Mo's article on double angle layouts (you can find it on the MoRich website), especially the last section on how to apply the technology to selecting a layout to match the bowler's release. Then honestly evaluate your game and see what angles and pin to PAP distance fits you. -- JohnP
ChicoMelo
THS Average: 224
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/4 x 1/2 up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 400

Post by ChicoMelo »

The long oil patterns are not floods, just long in length. One of the long oil patterns is the 2008 Team USA Trials long pattern 44 feet. When I use dull balls they tend to burn up due to my lower axis tilt. Things that are shine up tend to go way too long due to my higher ball speed.
Slap
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by Slap »

Is that 19 at the pins or at release?
ChicoMelo

Post by ChicoMelo »

That was based off the feedback from a CATS system. I believe that is at the pins but I could be wrong. The ball speed on the Scoring system usually shows about 21.7 MPH.
J_w73

Post by J_w73 »

ChicoMelo wrote:The long oil patterns are not floods, just long in length. One of the long oil patterns is the 2008 Team USA Trials long pattern 44 feet. When I use dull balls they tend to burn up due to my lower axis tilt. Things that are shine up tend to go way too long due to my higher ball speed.
slow down, or move right and point more to the pocket.. or stay inside and and go up 14..(on your side)

depends on your style though..

sometimes there isn't a ball or a drilling that will beat a condition with your current speed and revs. When I say ,"your", I'm just talking about someone in general...Sometimes you need to adjust to give the lanes what they want.. if that makes sense..
I usually see if I have a look with my normal style and speed first.. if it doesn't look like it then I change speed, usually slower, if that still isn't working then I go to changing my release..

I always modify it a bit but a big change in release is always the last resort for me..
Right Handed, 16-17 mph off hand (14 -15 mph on Qubica reading) ,350 rpm,PAP 4 3/4 x 1/4 up, 17 deg axis tilt, varied rotational axis deg.. usually 45+
Book Average 210+
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

ChicoMelo wrote:The ball speed on the Scoring system usually shows about 21.7 MPH.
!!!
Holy high speed Batman!
I tip the scales at 19.5 on my spare shots!
ChicoMelo

Post by ChicoMelo »

I do slow down for the long oil patterns. I usually get down to 16 MPH for those patterns as well as I do play inside. Usually around 15-10 often I will play a fall back shot as well. Just never get the right hook shape. My ball never go too fast that they don't read the pattern. I usually actually tend to see my balls burn up a bit due to the dull cover and the lower volume of oil over a long pattern.
J_w73

Post by J_w73 »

ChicoMelo wrote:I do slow down for the long oil patterns. I usually get down to 16 MPH for those patterns as well as I do play inside. Usually around 15-10 often I will play a fall back shot as well. Just never get the right hook shape. My ball never go too fast that they don't read the pattern. I usually actually tend to see my balls burn up a bit due to the dull cover and the lower volume of oil over a long pattern.
I know what you are talking about as far as burn up.. I see the same thing with most any strong cover ball.. but I also have trouble on heavy oil as well..still trying to figure that one out..

what shape are you looking for??.. like I said it depends on your style.. I'm a backend or skid flip player so when I have a shot that doesn't have a definite move on the backend I suffer a bit as well.. If you are looking for something to snap on the short backend I would try my suggestion a drill like my green gargoyle.. not sure what ball is out there that would be comparable.. I heard the hammer burn is pretty snappy on the backend.. or maybe even a widow pearl..
what ball are you using now??.. maybe it is too strong of a cover.. maybe something weaker is what you really need...
Book Average 210+
ChicoMelo

Post by ChicoMelo »

The shape I am looking for is a hard arch. I have tried ball that skid flip but I just way too much over under. Pearl Particles tend to work the best for me on long oil but only if I put a strong drilling. I have never really used the dual angel drilling so I thought Mo might make some suggestions for me.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

ChicoMelo wrote:I am a high track low tilt bowler. My PAP is 6 and 1/8 up my tilt is very low. My speed is 19 mph and my rev rate is 375. I am looking for some drilling layout options for bowling on a long oil sport pattern. I am left handed and we bowl 4 game blocks so I don't see much transition. I am looking for some drilling layout and ball options for bowling on Anvil Synthetics and wood lanes.
If you can estimate your axis rotation, I'd love to give you a suggestion. Being left-handed is a major factor.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
ChicoMelo

Post by ChicoMelo »

My axis rotation is generally about 30 degree's.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

ChicoMelo wrote:I am a high track low tilt bowler. My PAP is 6 and 1/8 up my tilt is very low. My speed is 19 mph and my rev rate is 375. I am looking for some drilling layout options for bowling on a long oil sport pattern. I am left handed and we bowl 4 game blocks so I don't see much transition. I am looking for some drilling layout and ball options for bowling on Anvil Synthetics and wood lanes. My axis rotation is generally about 30 degree's.
My assessment of your style is speed dominant, low tilt, low rotation looking for a suggested layout for longer patterns with blends less that 3:1. Your lack of rotation and tilt tells me that you need shorter transition and high diffs. for the drilled balls. This is exactly where "Double Thumb" layouts shine. We will control the strength of the break point with the size of the balance hole, increasing the size of the hole as we go to make the ball read the pattern harder. You find the info for the "Double Thumb" layout technique at http://www.morichbowling.com, so you can measure your exact drilling angle for this technique using your 6 x 1/8 up axis point. My guess is that if we get this right, you should be able to vary the surface and get this ball to work on both synthetics and wood lanes. A 2.5-3 oz. top weight ball with the pin out 4+" will work best for this. I suggest a strong cover asymmetrical ball for you. Increasing the pin to PAP distance from 4" to 4 1/2" will decrease the sharpness of the breakpoint, if your afraid this layout will be too violent.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)