Axis Tilt: 7
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: 900 Global Reality
Medium Oil Ball: 900 Global Zen
Light Oil Ball: Roto Grip Hustle PBR
Preferred Company: SPI Brands

Re: Layout advice

Post by Walkerman10000 »

I’ve found an old heat lava pretty cheap it has the same numbers has the upcoming heat solid that’s being released later this month. 2.51 rg with a .033 diff, but is a shined pearl ball. I haven’t totally decided yet if I want to buy the ball, but if I do decide to get it would it be a good candidate for my strongest symmetrical layout? I’m afraid this ball is really close to my !Q Tour Nano Pearl though numbers wise. So I’d be looking to get the ball to change down lane shape more if the !Q is too early to something more angular and stay in the same area of the lane. Any recommendations are welcome.
Last edited by Walkerman10000 on November 7th, 2021, 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 5/8” —> x 1/4” ^ PAP
10* rotation
7* tilt
300 rpm’s
17 mph off my hand
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

Walkerman10000 wrote: October 29th, 2021, 4:04 pm Just got the All Road today and wanted to verify the 2.52 RG with the .058 diff. This is the only line of balls in storm that are vastly different in 15 and 16. This ball is way stronger in 16lbs than the 15lbs balls that majority throw. So with my weight the ball should be much earlier and smoother
Smoother...
I would go with the Pin in the Ring finger
Walkerman10000 wrote: October 29th, 2021, 5:53 pm I’ve found an old heat lava pretty cheap it has the same numbers has the upcoming heat solid that’s being released next month. 2.51 rg with a .033 diff, but is a shined pearl ball. I haven’t totally decided yet if I want to buy the ball, but if I do decide to get it would it be a good candidate for my strongest symmetrical layout? I’m afraid this ball is really close to my !Q Tour Nano Pearl though numbers wise. So I’d be looking to get the ball to change down lane shape more if the !Q is too early to something more angular and stay in the same area of the lane. Any recommendations are welcome.
I think this is the perfect opportunity for your Strongest 67-4-25 Symmetrical Layout.
Drilling Angle measured to the Thumb will be about 67*
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Walkerman10000
THS Average: 210
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8' ---> by 1/4" ^
Speed: 16 .3 mph off my hand
Rev Rate: 300

Post by Walkerman10000 »

Ok so you’d go with my adjusted control layout on the All Road vs my benchmark? I’m probably drilling it tomorrow, this will be the 4th road series of balls that I’ve drilled and I really didn’t like 2 of them, I did like the thunder road though a lot. Did not like the crossroad or fire road that well though but, maybe I had the wrong layouts on those balls, or didn’t find the right surface. So i really want to make sure I get the layout correct, so hopefully I can make surface adjustments easier as needed for house and sport conditions.
4 5/8” —> x 1/4” ^ PAP
10* rotation
7* tilt
300 rpm’s
17 mph off my hand
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by EricHartwell »

Benchmark is a Strong Layout, I wouldn't necessarily describe it as Smooth.
Especially when we are talking about a ball with such a High Differential like this.

Smoother is the Control adjustment.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Walkerman10000

Post by Walkerman10000 »

I just purchased an ultra heat it’s the same numbers has the heat lava and the new heat solid. It has a hybrid cover though, I want to compliment this ball with my heat lava so would you also go with the strongest layout on this ball also like I am doing with my heat lava, or maybe go with my benchmark layout? 2.51 rg and .033 diff in 16lbs.
4 5/8” —> x 1/4” ^ PAP
10* rotation
7* tilt
300 rpm’s
17 mph off my hand
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by EricHartwell »

I would go with the Benchmark Layout.
A little longer hook zone and later roll for when the Solid starts leaving flat tens.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Walkerman10000

Post by Walkerman10000 »

Just drilled my All Road with my adjusted control layout of xx-4 3/8-50. Im here to say that if you give Eric the correct stats he absolutely nails the layouts. This ball is so smooth off the spot which is what I was wanting. I know 191 isn’t a super great score but this was on the burn after a 6 game sweeper I bowled in. I wish I would of had this ball for this tournament. So thanks a lot Eric for all you do and I’ll def continue using your advice to layout my equipment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 5/8” —> x 1/4” ^ PAP
10* rotation
7* tilt
300 rpm’s
17 mph off my hand
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by EricHartwell »

Cool camera angle would have been looking right down the ring finger showing the drilled out Pin. Just saying.

With your release specs you are close to centered in the range of all available layouts.
There are other layouts that can be even more Smooth or considered weaker that can be utilized on today's higher friction conditions.

Your collection is getting big enough to see what a shorter Pin to PAP Asym could offer you. A whole different level of smooth.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Walkerman10000

Post by Walkerman10000 »

The first ball I drilled was that nuclear cell has a short pin based off of your recommendation. I love that ball a lot too. Yeah I’m at the point now I’m ready to buy my asyms, it’s just hard dropping 200 plus dollars at a time for good asyms, when I can buy these symmetrical balls so cheap. I’m def buying the Radical Trail
Blazer though in the near future.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 5/8” —> x 1/4” ^ PAP
10* rotation
7* tilt
300 rpm’s
17 mph off my hand
Walkerman10000

Post by Walkerman10000 »

Ok so I just ordered 2 Radical Trailblazers, the 1st one I’m putting MegaMav’s suggested layout on it which is 75x3.75x35. What would you recommend on the 2nd ball? I have a sport shot league starting up Sunday nov 21, and the first pattern is Shark which is a 48 foot pattern and low volume I think shark is only like 21 mL’s of oil, so it transitions super quick. So if I wanted the 2nd ball just for longer sport patterns I’d use 35x5x35 on the 2nd ball?
4 5/8” —> x 1/4” ^ PAP
10* rotation
7* tilt
300 rpm’s
17 mph off my hand
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by EricHartwell »

I think you have a good plan.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Walkerman10000

Post by Walkerman10000 »

Finally got my PBR Hustle drilled today, it was back ordered for a month. I used my low flare control layout adjusted to xx-5 3/8-55. This layout puts the pin inside of my middle finger. This so far is my favorite ball that I’ve drilled this year. This will be the ball I will be using the most in league and in house shot sweepers in houses that are really high friction. The ball is still pretty strong but makes a really fast and smooth move off the friction from deep inside. Which is what I was wanting this ball for, to play inside on the burn, or for lower volume high friction shots to use on the entire block possibly! The ball looked great in this house on the fresh, this house hooks a ton though and if I bowled league here on a weekly basis this would be the ball I’d use here. I only bowl here for tournaments and when I drive to get my balls drilled here, this is one of the best pro shops I’ve ever been too in my area, so I’m willing to drive 2 hours to get my work done. Hopefully I’ll have the trailblazer and ultra heat drilled up next weekend. Thanks again for helping me get my correct layouts eric. I can’t wait to try this layout in the future in a ball a bit stronger.
4 5/8” —> x 1/4” ^ PAP
10* rotation
7* tilt
300 rpm’s
17 mph off my hand
Walkerman10000

Post by Walkerman10000 »

I just got my ultra heat drilled up today, with my benchmark layout of xx-4.5-35. I threw it all three games in a doubles tournament today on 42 foot helium kegal pattern. Like I said before I really love these heat balls, this core just works for me and appeals to my eye. But I’ll admit this probably was not the ball at box surface for me today on this condition. The ball just came off the dry too hard and fast. For me I’ve always had to allow the heats to “break in” a bit before I truly started to score well with them. Im going to give this ball a few more games with box on it and if I feel the reaction is still a bit too hard off the dry for my liking I’ll take the shine off the ball and try it at 4000 first and go down from there. I do like this ball a lot and I can’t wait to take it to my regular league and give it a try with my hustle pbr I think those two balls will be a great 1-2 punch in my league bag!!
4 5/8” —> x 1/4” ^ PAP
10* rotation
7* tilt
300 rpm’s
17 mph off my hand
Walkerman10000

Post by Walkerman10000 »

My next sport shot league will be next Sunday Dec 5 on 38 foot Alcatraz. It’s a 2:1 ratio pattern with 24 mL. My pro shop operator recommended an original rubicon for me for this pattern if I was wanting to try using an asym ball. So if I decide to order up a rubicon would you recommend my adjusted med sport layout? And how would you adjust it so I get the closest reaction possible to what it is originally. I’ve never bowled on Alcatraz before but from the looks of the pattern i need to start out playing pretty straight around 7-9. I’m going to practice on the pattern next Saturday evening after work so hopefully I can get an idea of how to attack this pattern and what balls to use
4 5/8” —> x 1/4” ^ PAP
10* rotation
7* tilt
300 rpm’s
17 mph off my hand
Walkerman10000

Post by Walkerman10000 »

One of the 2 trailblazers that I ordered finally showed up Friday and I picked it up today, since I was bowling on Alcatraz today and all of our sport shots this season are 39-45 feet I used my long sport layout on this ball of 35-5-35. Even though technically the pattern Alcatraz today is a medium condition I still went ahead and threw this ball. We bowl 3 games of qualifying and cut to the top 16 and bowl match play after. I ended up qualifying 8th and I made it to the semis finishing in 3rd place today, so I cashed!!! This ball looked really good today and i can’t wait for my second one to come in!! I had a lot of guys asking me today what ball I was throwing. I can’t wait to see this ball with this layout on the long patterns. So once again thanks Eric for figuring my layouts. I think my rubicon will be in tomorrow or Tuesday, I can’t wait to put my medium sport layout on it, then I’ll have a nice 1-2 punch for my sport league.
4 5/8” —> x 1/4” ^ PAP
10* rotation
7* tilt
300 rpm’s
17 mph off my hand
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by EricHartwell »

Oh the Fun of rebuilding a new arsenal.
Every time I make recommendations for the members here it is like I setting up my own arsenal.
I love when a plan comes to fruition.

I am actually rebuilding my own arsenal, finally.
I plugged all the balance holes in my old arsenal. All I was doing was prolonging the inevitable. What a disappointment.
Only two, my new Blue Hammer and Radical Tremendous, was what I wanted or needed Post plug.
I liked Blue before I motion holed it. So it went back to it's original reaction which is actually a lot less maintenance because I roll it with it's natural shiny surface. With the motion hole I needed to keep a dull surface on it. The Tremendous was just too strong with the balance hole. It plays much better for me now. Maintenance is up on it though, I need to keep that one Dull. It will be for when there is just too much oil and I need to break the line down. I use it in practice most often. It breaks down a line quickly.

I had a 13 ball collection, 8 of which were designed with balance holes. 1 of the remaining 5 without balance holes I lost to catastrophic cracking.
One I never got comfortable with and will end up in the dumpster with the rest of them. And I will keep my true Motion to complement the Blue Hammer. I bowl in a couple of houses where Urethane gives me the best look. The 4th one was a pancake cored reactive I gave away. The 5th is my Track Spare+.

My new arsenal will look like this.
Existing keepers
Tremendous ................. 50-4.5-35 .......Totally Strong
True Motion .................. 70-4-35 ......... Symmetrical Benchmark
Blue Hammer ................ 70-3-30 ......... Symmetrical Long and Strong
Track spare .................. 80-2.5-40 ....... Asymmetrical Spare ball Reduced flare/long and smooth
........not long for this world circular cracking around thumb and fingers, already repaired once

New to the family
Quantum Evo Solid .......... 70-4.25-60 ...... Control
Quantum Evo Pearl .......... 80-2.5-40 ....... slightly Reduced flare, long and smooth
Drilling these 2 tomorrow and will order the following...
Columbia 300 Command ....70-4-40 .......... Asymmetrical Benchmark
Hammer Redemption ....... 40-3-50 .......... adjusted Midlane with a weaker pin to keep it from rolling to early
DV8 Intimidator ............... 75-5-35 ......... Benchmark Total, Long and Strong Ratio, Skid/Flip

Interesting to note: All of my new babies will have the same Exact core in them 2.597 Rg .041 Diff and .014 Int Diff

Still on the Wish List to replace the Track spare when it is no longer usable
Black Widow VIZ-A-BALL .... 80-2.5-40........ Asymmetrical Spare ball Reduced flare/long and smooth

Happy Drilling

edit for spelling
Last edited by EricHartwell on December 6th, 2021, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Walkerman10000

Post by Walkerman10000 »

Awesome, I’ve heard good things about the new quantum’s. This Trailblazer is the first ball I’ve drilled within the Brunswick family since the mean streak brawler. Big B stuff just hasn’t appealed to my eye since the days of the twisted fury and infernos, I miss that famous inferno arc that line of balls was known for. I literally drilled every inferno Brunswick ever released. You’ll have to let me know how you like the quantum’s.
4 5/8” —> x 1/4” ^ PAP
10* rotation
7* tilt
300 rpm’s
17 mph off my hand
Walkerman10000

Post by Walkerman10000 »

Just picked up my Rubicon tonight. The upcoming king of the hill league shot is going to be chameleon, which is a high volume medium distance pattern. So I decided to layout the Rubicon 30x 5.125 x 53 which an adjusted medium sport layout to drill the pin out inside of the middle finger. I got to practice on
Chameleon tonight and the ball looked really good, and it actually hooked a bit more than I thought it would. I think this ball and my trailblazer will be a great match up for me on this pattern. I’m also posting my 3 games even though the first two weren’t too impressive, once I figured out how this ball wants to read the pattern it really looked good! I’m really glad that you are willing to help me out on layouts Eric.
4 5/8” —> x 1/4” ^ PAP
10* rotation
7* tilt
300 rpm’s
17 mph off my hand
Walkerman10000

Post by Walkerman10000 »

If I want to get a rubicon uc2 to compliment my original rubicon on medium distance sport shots in order to have a ball to go to when the lanes have opened up and a clear hook spot is available for me to stand left and throw it too, how can I adjust my medium sport layout for this? Little higher drilling angle and lower val? Any suggestions are welcome. I have two great pieces for the fresh but nothing much for when the pattern transitions.
4 5/8” —> x 1/4” ^ PAP
10* rotation
7* tilt
300 rpm’s
17 mph off my hand
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by EricHartwell »

How is your original Rubicon drilled?

As far as the UC2 it is a weak Asym. The thumbhole is going to pull the PSA towards it.
It will be move about half way from the marked PSA to the thumb.

I like the adjustment of shortening the Pin to PAP to get more hook, boards covered. 30-4.25-50 Pin in the Ring finger.
The PSA will pull to about about 50/55*,
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand