Layout Suggestions

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

elcheekytico

Layout Suggestions

Post by elcheekytico »

Hello all,
I have recently been going through iterations of the fitting process, according to Mo's process, and I think I've finally nailed it down. I did this on my own as I wasn't happy with what I was getting from my local PSO. I have several balls that have been plugged and ready for re-drilling. I wanted to get suggestions on optimal layouts and maybe some suggestions on which balls to use them on. I have recently gotten back into bowling, about 1.5 years ago, after a 15+ year hiatus. I am coming to learn that a lot has changed in this time and I've been doing as much research as possible to get a grasp, but few details still elude me. Here are my specs:

RH
Speed: 16.5 (at the sensors)
RPM: 350-375
Tilt: 5*
Rotation: 55* (I've had it up to 65*)
PAP: 5 1/2 x 1/4 UP or 5 1/4 x 1/2 UP (I can't remember which is current as one was taken during fitting process before I tried lowering my track)

The higher end of axis rotation was when I tried to increase tilt by manipulating my release, but that didn't work. I have managed to get a good wiki fit and then tweaked pitches, according to Mo, to increase tilt. I managed to go from 3-5*, but that seemed to be the limit.

Here is my arsenal:

Code: Select all

BALL NAME		COVER TYPE		CORE TYPE	RG	TOTAL DIFF.	INT. DIFF.
Prism Solid		Reactive Solid		Asymmetrical	2.465	0.051		0.018
Antics			Reactive Hybrid		Asymmetrical	2.5	0.054		0.013
Vintage Phantom		Reactive Solid		Symmetrical	2.471	0.032
Vortex V2 (2019)	Reactive Solid		Symmetrical	2.46	0.051
Hy-Wire			Reactive Hybrid		Symmetrical	2.5	0.043
IQ Tour Emerald		Reactive Pearl		Symmetrical	2.49	0.029
Hustle Ink		Reactive Solid		Symmetrical	2.53	0.030
Some of the ball information may be irrelevant or known, but I had it all in a spreadsheet so I just copied straight from it. I plan to bowl competitively, but I know the Vortex is not PBA registered so it will be relegated to league/house shot. I have recently bowled some local scratch tournaments and a regional just to get my feet wet.

I believe I need to stay with pins >4" on Sym and <3" on Asym. Reading Mo's docs, the low tilt bowler should be at a ratio of 2:1-3:1. However, the dual angle ratio guide indicates once going below 7* tilt the ratio should head back in the lower end. According to Athery's chart I should be at 1.75:1 or even down to 1.5:1 possibly with increased rotation.

I'm currently using a light colored ball with phasing and it's pretty hard if not impossible to see the track on the bottom half. Based on any suggestions I will probably drill the Vortex first and confirm my PAP and rotation with it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Layout Suggestions

Post by EricHartwell »

Welcome to BowlingChat

Apologizing for my lack of time this evening.
I will have more time tomorrow evening to evaluate your request.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

elcheekytico wrote: April 27th, 2021, 7:57 pm I believe I need to stay with pins >4" on Sym and <3" on Asym. Reading Mo's docs, the low tilt bowler should be at a ratio of 2:1-3:1. However, the dual angle ratio guide indicates once going below 7* tilt the ratio should head back in the lower end. According to Athery's chart I should be at 1.75:1 or even down to 1.5:1 possibly with increased rotation.
You are correct in your thinking...
Lets start with your Benchmark at 1.5:1 and modify to a Control Ratio of 1:1
Long and Strong for your type release will be 2:1

Adjust Totals +20* for Higher friction conditions and -20* for lower friction/longer oil.
Benchmark Total of 100*
Asymmetrical Layouts
Totally Strong ............... 55-4.5-25
Midlane ...................... 40-4-40
Benchmark .................. 60-3-40
Long and Strong ............ 80-3-40
Control ...................... 60-2.5-60
low flare ..................... 80-2-40

Symmetrical layouts
Benchmark ................ xx-4-35
Control .................... xx-4 55
low flare ...................xx-5-35

BALL NAME..............COVER TYPE..........CORE TYPE.......... RG...... TOTAL DIFF....INT. DIFF.......Layout
Prism Solid ............ Reactive Solid........ Asymmetrical ... 2.465 .....0.051........... 0.018 ...... 60-2.5-60
Antics ..................Reactive Hybrid.......Asymmetrical....2.5....... 0.054.............0.013 ..... 60-3-40
Vintage Phantom......Reactive Solid........ Symmetrical.... 2.471...... 0.032.......................... xx-4.5-35
Vortex V2 (2019)......Reactive Solid.........Symmetrical.....2.46........0.051 ....................... xx-5-55 pin in ring finger
Hy-Wire.................Reactive Hybrid.......Symmetrical.....2.5........0.043 ..........................xx-4-35
IQ Tour Emerald.......Reactive Pearl.........Symmetrical.....2.49...... 0.029 .........................xx-4-30
Hustle Ink .............Reactive Solid..........Symmetrical.....2.53...... 0.030......................... xx-4-50

Use Surface adjustments to separate the reaction of Symmetricals
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
elcheekytico

Post by elcheekytico »

Thanks for your help Eric. I drilled up the Vortex as planned and I was able to measure last night during some practice. My PAP did change a little to 5 over and 1/16 up. I seemed to be able to get my tilt to 8* pretty consistently. On Monday night for league it was back to 3-5* again because they are drier at that house and I had to throw pretty hard to keep it on the right side and trying to stay up the back of the ball. I'm guessing this because my track was 1/8"-1/4" or so from fingers and thumb. It's hasn't been that close anytime recently. I just gave the rest of the layouts to my PSO to start drilling everything up so we'll see how that goes. Again thanks for your help.