Dual Angle Layout Tool

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

Glenn

Dual Angle Layout Tool

Post by Glenn »

I just came across this item. Anybody using it?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... t&hl=en_US

deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Re: Dual Angle Layout Tool

Post by deanchamp »

Hi Glenn, that looks interesting but I still prefer to do them manually so I can customise the layouts and keep some 'art' in there.

Dean
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Dean, thanks for the reply.
I note that you are now a Sliver Level coach instead of a Silver Certified coach...what was that about?

I am frustrated that there is a little too much "art" in the Dual Angle technique for my liking - LOL!
I am glad to see an app rolled out for the Dual Angle technique similar to the Storm VLS.
Both apps provide a "learning experience", and Paddock looks to be feature-rich.
One reviewer reported the Paddock gave him a layout recommendation he had not considered and he was well-pleased with the result.
I am gonna look at downloading it.

Glenn
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

Glenn - the USBC changed the terminology. No longer are coaches "certified" - they are "level". There's a discussion about it somewhere. . .
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

boomer wrote: August 4th, 2020, 4:32 pm Glenn - the USBC changed the terminology. No longer are coaches "certified" - they are "level". There's a discussion about it somewhere. . .
Dean, over the years, you've certainly demonstrated your impressive knowledge of the sport and top notch communication skills. I'd surmise you are a very good on location instructor.

Your abilities and knowledge most likely long preceded any certificate you received from USCB. I say so, because I've been through Bronze and Silver certification.
I certified around 2003?. At that juncture it was my opinion that the certificate was little more than a rubber stamp. I was disappointed.

Bowling would benefit from a system geared to groom and develop instructors.
Regrettably, I surmise there's been no cost justification.

Be that as it may, I have always believed teachers are born with that gift.

Take care.

Everyone, be safe, be well, be happy!
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp »

Hi John, I've been studying bowling for about 12 years now, and yes I only got my USBC Silver level in 2016 so I could coach Australian teams as it is a TBA requirement. I didn't learn anything new in the process of doing the Bronze and Silver courses, but I guess they give you some credibility. I would like to obtain Gold level status one day but in no hurry. Having the piece of paper doesn't make me a better coach. I learnt more on BC from Jim and Mo, and from reading and watching. FWIW, I'm mentoring some other up and coming coaches in Australia, and have my mentor Patrick Birtig in Melbourne as well who has guided me since I started.

I'm an educator by profession and it certainly helps having done my 10000+ hours in the classroom to have total confidence on the lanes as a coach. I've given talks at conferences about the similarities between coaching and teaching, which were inspired by an article on John Wooden called "What a Coach Can Teach a Teacher" by Gallimore and Tharp. I've also written about this for BTM, and there is a new BTM article soon to be published on the coach/ bowler relationship, which I also find fascinating.

Sorry for changing the thread topic, but I've had plenty of time to reflect on all this as there's been no bowling or coaching here in Melbourne since March.

You too John are an inspiration, and your altruistic nature is another gift for this forum.

Dean
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I waited to do the training until they were offered "near" me (still was 2 states away for them).
I took them more for the personal satisfaction thing (creds) rather than for coaching (I do very little in my area).
I figured it was more of going through the process and paying the price.
I did learn some stuff, and had some things clarified.
For me, the class dynamics made all of the difference: the gold coach, and the class makeup.
My classes included bowling center proprietors, pro shop owners/operators, and coaches.
Their wealth of knowledge was a value add for me.
I found that the Silver workbook did not do much to prepare me for the video essay test (maybe it was not supposed to).
I started the essay portion being confused with the format until I realized it follows the troubleshooting section of the High School Coaching guide more than it did the Silver workbook. Once I made the mindset change and corrected course, it was not a problem (LOL).
It took a long time to get the test scored but all went well.
Gold is out of my reach: too much time and too much money and too little value TO ME.