Simplified Layouts

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

Glenn

Simplified Layouts

Post by Glenn »

I have totally confused myself on how to layout a ball using any one of the simplified layouts when the horizontal axis coordinate differs from the 5 inch horizontal axis coordinate used in any of these charts (earlier charts also had 3/8 up).

Mo and Mikey in their videos talk about adjusting the drilling angle (slightly or a lot) to keep the proper relationship, but it is never clear to me how to determine what drilling angle is appropriate.

So, my question is how do you go about putting the 45 x 4 x 35 layout on an asym ball for a bowler with coordinates of 4.5 right and .5 up? The drilling angle must be something less than 45 degrees.

Thanks.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Simplified Layouts

Post by 44boyd »

Simplified way would be to have the PSA halfway between the thumb and PAP
Stacy
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

It is actually really simple. Lay the ball out 45-4-35 then use the 4.5 over .5 up PAP measurement to find the grip center.
I don't see where the confusion is.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Eric, I thought the same thing. If you model it in the Drill Sheet DB, the layout is re-positioned by the horizontal axis point, but the angles and P2P remain the same.

In his example in the video of 3.5 over and .75 up, Mo says the adjusted layout is 30 x 4 x 35, and I don't get it.

Last edited by Glenn on June 26th, 2020, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

So, I finally got a terse response from Mo regarding the drilling angle adjustment for various player horizontal positive axis points. He did not respond to my question about why the drilling angle for SYM balls is being discussed when the DA doesn't matter for SYM balls in the absence of balance holes.

Mo said, "The drilling angle was changed to accommodate the horizontal PAP spec for your PAP. That's necessary to be accurate."

And a follow-up from Mo, "For every 3/4" different from the 5" horizontal PAP measurement either subtract 10* of drilling angle (less than 5") or add 10* of drilling angle (more than 5")."

This still doesn't answer my question of why changing the DA on SYM is necessary.
I believe you should be able to layout the 75 x 4 x 30 or 65 x 4 x 30 with your PAP if the drill angle doesn't matter on SYM balls.

Thoughts?
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

The Drilling angle is about the thumb hole location with respect to the PAP on Symmetrical balls.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand