Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

reactive Short pin layout vs Urethane

Post by krava »

is what I watched

Someone in the comment section recommends a 90 x 2 1/4 x 45 layout. I don't know what layout is on the ball thrown in the video. But does anyone use that layout for big hooking backends? I have a low flare match solid but I have no idea how it is drilled. I believe 75 X something if I can remember right.
----------------------------------------------
I saw a comment in that video that is this on the question why do PBA tour people choose urethane over shot pin reactive:

because reactive, even with a short pin layout, is still going to be a lot faster off of friction and less even overall than urethane. guys on tour have a lot more revs, so the difference you see in this video is even greater for them. check out the oklahoma open qualifying (and upcoming matchplay) if you have flobowling; they've got 32' wolf on the right lane and 45' dragon on the left. the only guys throwing short pin reactive on wolf were mid-range at most in terms of rev rate.

What rev rate are they talking about or would people need to have in order to play one over the other, or what range of rev rates would be best suited for a short pin reactive and what rev rates would best be suited for urethane?
----------------------------------------------------------------
Then a question that wasn't addressed is they didn't talk about week or strong cover stocks or symmetric or asymmetric in that video. I doubt you want to try to get an asymmetric to act like that and also I don't think you can play a strong cover stock (high performance ball) in that area close to that urethane.
------------------------------------------------------------------
is mo low flare layout but he doesn't talk much about other things

For instance Why even put a low flare layout on a asymmetric ball? (maybe still move left but don't have to throw it so far out to the right and can close down the angles and still have a little pop on the ball at the end?)
Why put a low flare layout on a strong symmetric ball? you want to use a low flare layout for either #1 the lanes are hooking too much and acting squirrely or #2 you don't want to move left and want to stay right with the ball. Lets say that you dont' want to move left and the lanes are drying up. that also means that the lanes are drying up in the front part of the lane too so there isn't much oil as before there. The strong cover stock ball wants oil so if you use that, won't that burn up a bit because it wants higher volume of oil? I can understand the issue if there is a lot of oil and the backends are strong, then you can play more left with the strong symmetric low flare layout and still throw it straighter and not be as jumpy.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: reactive Short pin layout vs Urethane

Post by 44boyd »

You can’t even move left of second arrow as it is now, so you don’t have to worry about that
Stacy
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

krava wrote: January 25th, 2020, 11:41 am Someone in the comment section recommends a 90 x 2 1/4 x 45 layout.
I just read the comments for this video, the person your referring too was not "recommending" the 90 x 2 1/4 x 45 layout specifically. He was at most recommending the low flare layout, because it was what he used when he needed too and that was his layout:
Since I was introduced to the low flare layout by Mo himself in Eagan Minnesota along with Scott Pohl the pro shop operator there I have never looked back in fact it is the one layout at 90 by 2 1/4 by 45 that I can always count on to get me out of trouble
I don't know what layout is on the ball thrown in the video.
When you watch these videos you need to pay attention! He showed what the layout was in the first 20 seconds of the video!

Note: He replied to your question:
what is the layout of the squash hybrid in this? is it 90 x 2 1/4 x 45?

Bowling Science
Mine is 90 x 1.75 x 45... I wanted to limit hook as much as possible while still retaining hit!
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

44boyd I appreciate the comment on this on Saturday. I had planned to "play it safe" get a low flare layout ball my BTU and try not to play left too much. I packed up all my balls I didn't use much at all to use. Then I read that comment and was upset and was like "what the hell". You had me go home get my good stuff etc and bring it with me.

I did the 4 hour bowl for $12 at the base. The lanes were oiled and then a league bowled on them and then some open play (plastic balls were still on the ball return). I think I started at 27 throwing over 12. I somehow threw 2 balls in the gutter the first game. I don't even think the first 2 games I broke 175. Remember this is in the dark, the arrows don't glow and it is extremely hard to see the arrows and no way possible to see the lane markers down the lane.

At around game 3 or 4, I moved to the 3rd arrow, I was at the 3rd arrow around board 33 or 35 or so. A long story short. I shot 10 games and I believe the 2nd game after i moved to around 3rd arrow I shot 220's back to back(no opens). I had at least 4 200s there. I ended up standing on 46 (or 6 boards left of the last dot to the left which is 1 board away from where I play the 10 pin at the 4th arrow). I think i was shooting 18-20 around there.

So anyway around my 8th game I noticed something. I noticed that I was holding the ball with my ring finger pointing toward the pins and holding it there throughout the swing. It was only done by accident sort ouf out of instinct. Before I was holding the ball so that I had the V at the pins but because of this I think I am holding it proper. My cousin was bowling and he said that I hook the ball as much as him now, and he never seen me do it before. So I have to thank you for that little push there with that comment.

Now I think I have the entire thing figured out, pointing in the right place everything. The bowling alley got on to me about video the last time I did it so I am waiting awhile before I try that again.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Show us a video, wouldn’t be the first time you “fixed” it but throw the ball the way you always have.
Stacy