THS Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1
Heavy Oil Ball: morich mania, morich destroyr
Medium Oil Ball: hammer vibe, storm anarchy
Light Oil Ball: morich levrg response(real dry/spare ball) hammer trap
Preferred Company: morich

burying fingers

Post by kevin »

I am new to this. People have been concerned with burying finger holes into the core. Should they be?
I have been doing this to keep ball legal for double thumbs, p3, and p4.
Try to keep under 3 1/2 inches.
My answer has been don't be old school if you're happy with performance why be concerned plus Mo just about promotes it. Am I wrong?
High Game- 300 (13)
High Series- 822
Fun night- 206-300-300
Fondest bowling memory--Watching my daughter shoot a 704/806 w/handicap
to win USBC Women's Championship 2011 Diamond Division
MathIsTruth
Industry Professional
Industry Professional
Preferred Company: MoRich/Radical

Re: burying fingers

Post by MathIsTruth »

kevin wrote:I am new to this. People have been concerned with burying finger holes into the core. Should they be?
I have been doing this to keep ball legal for double thumbs, p3, and p4.
Try to keep under 3 1/2 inches.
My answer has been don't be old school if you're happy with performance why be concerned plus Mo just about promotes it. Am I wrong?
I believe you are correct. The following link is to a study on the wiki that I did about the effects on the mass properties of a ball when drilling finger holes deeper. You will see that little changes occur when the fingers are drilled deeper to allow for the use of P3 and P4 balance holes. Hope this helps...

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... les_Deeper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kevin

Post by kevin »

OK so these slight differences in numbers means burying the fingers doesn't effect the ball much, and the benefits of p3, p4, double thumbs supersedes these slight differences in total differential. Which I think is the same as what Mo says about static weight not effecting the ball as much as the balance hole along the gradient line. Or does the fact that the differential ratio increases mean it's actually better for the ball.
Also I noticed you used 1.25 balance hole. I thought you couldn't go bigger than 1.125. Am I wrong or was this just to make math easier? I'm also assuming smaller balance hole would give same results.
Thank you very much for your answer and for the work you have put into this.
High Game- 300 (13)
High Series- 822
Fun night- 206-300-300
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Dustin »

kevin wrote:OK so these slight differences in numbers means burying the fingers doesn't effect the ball much, and the benefits of p3, p4, double thumbs supersedes these slight differences in total differential. Which I think is the same as what Mo says about static weight not effecting the ball as much as the balance hole along the gradient line. Or does the fact that the differential ratio increases mean it's actually better for the ball.
Also I noticed you used 1.25 balance hole. I thought you couldn't go bigger than 1.125. Am I wrong or was this just to make math easier? I'm also assuming smaller balance hole would give same results.
Thank you very much for your answer and for the work you have put into this.
Here is a link for the hole size http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/images ... manual.pdf go to page 1-3. As for the smaller balance hole the effects would not be as great as 1 1/4 but still effective. Start small & you can always make bigger to get the reaction you are looking for.
As for benefits of P3 or 4 are greater than drilling finger holes to China.(Hope that made sense, it did in my head, i think :? )
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
kevin

Post by kevin »

Thank you. I stand corrected. I haven't had to go 1 1/4", but now I'm curious and will have to try it out. Should of known better than to question, but I did learn more out of it.
High Game- 300 (13)
High Series- 822
Fun night- 206-300-300
Dustin
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by Dustin »

kevin wrote:Thank you. I stand corrected. I haven't had to go 1 1/4", but now I'm curious and will have to try it out. Should of known better than to question, but I did learn more out of it.

The best way to learn is to ask questions. I beleave they didn't change the balance hole size untill the last year or so but don't quote me on that.
* MPH @ aarows
* RPM
AR *
AT *
PAP 3 3/4"
(* rebuilding)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

kevin wrote:Thank you. I stand corrected. I haven't had to go 1 1/4", but now I'm curious and will have to try it out. Should of known better than to question, but I did learn more out of it.
Just do your research and don't be afraid to ask the lingering questions. Believe what MathIsTruth writes. He's the expert that I rely on for CAD data.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
laddog54
THS Average: 209
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/16" over x 11/16" up
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 25
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Cell
Medium Oil Ball: Grand Illusion
Light Oil Ball: Grenade, AMF Orbit Extreme
Preferred Company: Roto Grip

Post by laddog54 »

I just had this done by my Pro Shop Guy Bryan Viator. Wanted to put a P3 hole in my Pearl Cell. Ball works great for my brother but I wasn't quite getting the pop out of it I wanted. Had to drill the finger holes to 3 1/2 to take out enough finger weight to put in the P3 hole.Ball rolls great and there are no issues with the deep finger holes.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

laddog54 wrote:I just had this done by my Pro Shop Guy Bryan Viator. Wanted to put a P3 hole in my Pearl Cell. Ball works great for my brother but I wasn't quite getting the pop out of it I wanted. Had to drill the finger holes to 3 1/2 to take out enough finger weight to put in the P3 hole.Ball rolls great and there are no issues with the deep finger holes.

Say "Hi" to Brian for me.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
laddog54
THS Average: 209
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/16" over x 11/16" up
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 25
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Cell
Medium Oil Ball: Grand Illusion
Light Oil Ball: Grenade, AMF Orbit Extreme
Preferred Company: Roto Grip

Post by laddog54 »

Mo Pinel wrote:
Say "Hi" to Brian for me.
Will do. Mention you and this site to him when he asked about changes I have made to my game. He said that doing what Mo suggest is a good thing.